Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Article in the New Yorker about gravel racing, Colin Strickland, & Mo Wilson's murder
Quote | Reply
Hey STers -

There's an article in The New Yorker I thought folks might be interested in: https://www.newyorker.com/..._source=NYR_REG_GATE

I expected it to be about Mo Wilson's murder, and toward the end it is, but it's much more about the emergence of gravel racing, and about Strickland himself. "the new niche sport of gravel-bike racing—a form of slog that presents itself as both a solo endurance test and a party in the mud... the Kansas event, Unbound Gravel, can now fairly describe itself as the most important in all of American competitive cycling—even if many of the hundreds who pay to ride in it each year have little competitive ambition beyond not giving up. Like a big-city marathon, a typical gravel race is both an élite contest and, at the rear, something less pressing."
(Yes, I know, there's a full thread on Mo Wilson's murder - but it doesn't overlap that much with this article).

Gravel racing isn't my world so I've no idea how accurate the article is.
-Charles
Quote Reply
Re: Article in the New Yorker about gravel racing, Colin Strickland, & Mo Wilson's murder [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Decent long form article. Interesting angle.
Quote Reply
Re: Article in the New Yorker about gravel racing, Colin Strickland, & Mo Wilson's murder [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interesting profile of Strickland, mostly, filling in a lot of his personality/history not covered previously [that I'd seen] with enough background on gravel to explain how "the scene" is different from road, MTB or even bike messenger culture

FWIW, the Kip Litton story first appeared in New Yorker, if I remember correctly

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Article in the New Yorker about gravel racing, Colin Strickland, & Mo Wilson's murder [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:

the Kansas event, Unbound Gravel, can now fairly describe itself as the most important in all of American competitive cycling—even if many of the hundreds who pay to ride in it each year have little competitive ambition beyond not giving up.

I really struggle with this, I feel like it is total hyperbole. But it is an interesting question, if not Unbound, then what?

I think for years, but I guess it is getting to be a while now, I would say Philadelphia Pro Challenge (or whatever it was named). But since then, it is pretty bleak, but also the idea that a race in the middle of Kansas is the "it" race it's a head scratcher to me. I just don't get what is interesting about it, except people decided it was interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Article in the New Yorker about gravel racing, Colin Strickland, & Mo Wilson's murder [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
using advanced metrics like influencer presence on YouTube and Instagram, I would definitely say it's Unbound. Maybe there is an argument for Belgian Waffle Ride. On the road side it's probably Boise Twilight?

I don't think there is an argument to be made that, among American competitive cycling races, MTB or road racing are more influential than gravel.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply