Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aquabike - Nationals or Worlds
Quote | Reply
For those who have done either, would love your perspective on the race(s). Competition, thought process of Aquabike vs Triathlon, etc.

Struggling with running due to multiple injuries... thinking a competitive (very?) Aquabike could be interesting.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Aquabike - Nationals or Worlds [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody replied back to you on this? What did you find out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Missed this 1st time around.

Last year I “retired” from tri and migrated to AB on account of arthritic knees.

It’s still weird not having to head out of T2 other than to walk through the finish chute but it’s better than having to leave the sport altogether.

The fields are much smaller but can be as competitive as you want right make it.

Qualifying for AB worlds is much easier on account of the small fields, sometimes there are fewer entrants than available spots so everyone (wins so to speak).

It’s what you make of it but it can be pretty fast at the pointy end.
Quote Reply
Re: Aquabike - Nationals or Worlds [Dolfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for info. Appreciate it.

Mind providing more info on this: "The fields are much smaller but can be as competitive as you want right make it."?

Does that mean it is competitive at an overall level but less (not) so at an AG level?

...my experience with the couple of local aquabikes was that it was not competitive (at all). It felt good to be out racing, but didn't assuage my competitive "fix", eg i went off course on the bike for 6 minutes and still won OA by 6 or 10 minutes (don't recall). I am relatively fast at tri, but not KQ level for sure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ejd_mil wrote:
For those who have done either, would love your perspective on the race(s). Competition, thought process of Aquabike vs Triathlon, etc.

Struggling with running due to multiple injuries... thinking a competitive (very?) Aquabike could be interesting.

Thanks in advance

In the older age groups, nationals and worlds can be pretty quick. In the younger ones, fewer people have "injured in" to aquabike life. I am still able to do triathlons, but the run is my weakest so I can be much more competitive at aquabike.

It's not uncommon for several women to be under 3 hours for 70.3 distance aquabike, or for several men to be under 2:45 for 70.3 distance aquabike, for flatter courses. There's definitely some pretty quick competition at (USA) nationals and worlds. At worlds, if it's in Europe, the Brits are absurdly fast at aquabike.

It's pretty neat to finish your entire race and watch everybody suffer on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is definitely a big difference in local and nats/worlds as far as turnout and competition.

I’ve done local races where there were just a handful of us ABers. I still try to make a race of it and can get some competitive satisfaction also by looking at my splits vs my AG in tri. Some may say it’s weak sauce but I can’t run so I make lemonade of it.

Traveling to nats will definitely give you a more competitive field. Still small but fast at the front. Top 18 go to worlds. I think there were 15 in my LC field last year.

Haven’t been to worlds but it’s a level up and some of the splits are headshakingky fast.

I wish IM 70.3 would offer an AB option. I think that would draw out better competition. Plus, our sport is not getting younger and it’s a route for us who who want to compete but won’t pay that money to DNF or walk 3.5hrs just to finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just published the 2022 season review with the biggest aquabike races of last season: https://www.aquabike.world/...v-the-biggest-races/

But that´s worldwide, so I also made you an extra page with the US aquabike races with the most finishers: https://www.aquabike.world/...aquabike-races-2022/

Hope that helps :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am an ABer now because of arthritic knees, and have found a lot of joy in still being able to compete, and I do wish IM would offer a field. It stinks to have a new IM in my backyard--Western MA--and not be able to participate. I did Patriot and was stunned at the size of the field--lots of people prepping for their "A" IM race used it to dial in nutrition and pace without taking a beating on the run. It was exciting to be in a competitive field! So, if you are looking for that kind of fix, perhaps see which AB races are one month out of "big" IM races and hope for the same situation Patriot had.

Toughman, AB long course nationals, was a good challenge in terms of competition, but I didn't go back last year. I may this year depending on their water condition.

As many people have said--the times at Worlds are NUTS. I was supposed to go, but then work wouldn't allow me the time off. I was blown away at the results, and then even more disappointed I didn't get to go.

--Meg
Quote Reply