Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: End the wheel debate !!! [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:

And when a manufacture can guarantee the tire will not come off the rim during a blow out I "may" consider hookless. That could be catastrophic.

You must be a tubular guy. :)

That's not guaranteed for hooked rims either. I've only ever had hooked rims, and I've had plenty of instances of sketchily trying to come to a stop while riding on naked metal or carbon. Mostly tubed, but also tubeless.

And anecdotally, some combinations of the new hookless rim/tire combinations apparently make it really hard to push the bead off the rim when you *want* to. Which suggests it may stay on better if you flat. This difficulty in breaking the bead is one of the more common complaints about tubeless and hookless in particular. I've heard it mostly about Enve rims (again, anecdotally).
Last edited by: trail: Nov 28, 22 10:20
Quote Reply
Re: End the wheel debate !!! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Rideon77 wrote:
You must be a tubular guy. :)
I know I used to be a tubular guy - I had to! Back in 1971, when I started racing, you couldn't even fit 27x1 1/4 clinchers on a good frame (i.e. one that had the eyelets ground off the dropouts). 700c clinchers didn't even exist...so both my training wheels and racing wheels were tubs.

Tubulars were great. If someone had designed an easily repairable one, I don't think we'd even be having this discussion now! Sure the glue was messy - kind of like Sealant!
Quote Reply
Re: End the wheel debate !!! [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Yeah I'm not talking about the value of buying Enve/Zipp/HED. Those are the wheels I buy. And many of the reasons why Chinee branded are cheap, are the same reasons I won't buy them.

But you're living in an alternate reality if you think it's possible to design and make an entire wheel for $150 and still have money left over for overhead an other costs, yet removing hooks can drop a wheel price by $500+ for another company.

Maybe someone from HED, AeroCoach, or FLO could tell us, since they post here regularly and produce wheels.

I will say that regardless of any price difference (which is really small), the benefit of hooked is that currently you can run any tyres you want, which gives you more of a performance advantage than anything else people might quibble over like weight. The last thing we want to do is restrict tyre choice for our customers so we only make hooked rims currently.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply

Prev Next