Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: WTCS Abu Dhabi Grand Final [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Keep in mind's the USA's policy also allowed the best in the world 2 chances to AQ. Spivey had a shot at both Tokyo test event and Yoko '21 race. Only then did "discretion" come into play and only after Knibb "took" the AQ spot in Yoko with her podium (I cant remember if she won it or was chased down, but her breakaway was the type of "olympic moment" you love to see). So while it was a very gutsy call to leave the best ranked American at the time out of Tokyo, it was only done after 2 failed attempts.

Knibb won and summer got 2nd.
Quote Reply
Re: WTCS Abu Dhabi Grand Final [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the problem with "incidents" or crashes is that's a very slippery slope. What if you are having a bad day, do you "crash" so the whole event gets nulled? Like at some point, the results have to be what they'll be.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: WTCS Abu Dhabi Grand Final [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed any clauses for incidents discretions the discretionary...

the way the rules currently exist, World Tri defines selection eligibility (i.e. people need to be ranked in top X spots in the world to be eligible to race the OG), and each federation defines their selection approach. Federations have different strategies in terms of how they define those.

Typically when you're creating a selection criteria, you then run scenarios against it and try to break it, and ultimately use whichever criteria gives you the best odds, even if flukes happen. the US process on the ladies side was a classic example of that, the two auto chances were taken by surprise results (and there were serious asterisks on the test event since it was both shortened, and there was the double DQ which factored in, as well as two of their top athletes taking each other out), which put the federation in am impossible situation of picking between their two top ranked women, both with podium potential. Neither one was a bad pick, and KZ rewarded them with medals. I'm surprised after that there wasn't more changes to the selection approach to give them more discretion... You love to see moments like Knibb winning Yokohama to grab a berth on the team (summer's test event result was less enthralling, given the aforementioned asterisks on the event), but if you look at some federations they have an or rather than an and on those rules, so a top finish in the test event gets you in, and if no spots are claimed there, a top finish at another designated event also gets you in, but rather than potentially both of those happening and taking two spots, they limit it so that they only give away one auto spot, so that they have more discretion. Unfortunately unless the system is shifted so that individuals get spots, not federations, and they could only be replaced due to injury, you're going to see the ugly head of politics creep in...
Quote Reply

Prev Next