Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A chat with Kat Matthews after the car crashed into her and she now moving onwards
Quote | Reply
Here we go

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...t_Matthews_8571.html
Last edited by: Herbert: Nov 21, 22 15:10
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Kat Matthews after the car crashed into her and she now moving onwards [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Herbert - Very nice interview, I found it interesting that she "swims 5X, bikes 5X, and runs 3X per week, perhaps." I always think of the iron dist guys/girls as running at 6X if not 10-12X per week.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Kat Matthews after the car crashed into her and she now moving onwards [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

Herbert - Very nice interview, I found it interesting that she "swims 5X, bikes 5X, and runs 3X per week, perhaps." I always think of the iron dist guys/girls as running at 6X if not 10-12X per week.

Yes, well done. I came here to comment on this particular part of the interview as well. How did you not follow up on running 3x per week for a runner than can run 2:4X off the bike?
It is possible to do what she said within her 3-4 day blocks.
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Kat Matthews after the car crashed into her and she now moving onwards [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyla wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Yes, well done. I came here to comment on this particular part of the interview as well. How did you not follow up on running 3x per week for a runner than can run 2:4X off the bike?

Perhaps Herbert will log back in and enlighten us, or maybe even Kat herself??? She could maybe do an ask me anything (AMA) thread which would be very cool. I am always curious about the various pros' swimming backgrounds, since that is clearly the hardest for adults to catch onto.

Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Kat Matthews after the car crashed into her and she now moving onwards [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
lyla wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Perhaps Herbert will log back in and enlighten us, or maybe even Kat herself??? She could maybe do an ask me anything (AMA) thread which would be very cool. I am always curious about the various pros' swimming backgrounds, since that is clearly the hardest for adults to catch onto.
She talks about running off low mileage here (tl:dr better dividend from cycling and that fitness will read across: increased risk of injury with 'too much' running/intensity).
https://www.insidetrishow.com/...atmatthewstriathlete
Björn Geesman is her coach. His coaching philosophy is outlined in Mikael's podcast notes: https://scientifictriathlon.com/tts291/#tab-con-3
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Kat Matthews after the car crashed into her and she now moving onwards [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
lyla wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

She talks about running off low mileage here (tl:dr better dividend from cycling and that fitness will read across: increased risk of injury with 'too much' running/intensity).
Björn Geesman is her coach. His coaching philosophy is outlined in Mikael's podcast notes: https://scientifictriathlon.com/tts291/#tab-con-3

How ironic that we should be discussing this in a thread about her bike crash. We have to balance the chance of injury/death from riding outside vs the chance of injury from running too much. Sure, an athlete could ride inside 99% of the time but notwithstanding all the programs, platforms, and what have you, eventually you're going to be bored out of your gourd, at least IMO. Apparently, Kat did not previously ride much inside as she said "I barely trained inside during 2022."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
How ironic that we should be discussing this in a thread about her bike crash. We have to balance the chance of injury/death from riding outside vs the chance of injury from running too much. Sure, an athlete could ride inside 99% of the time but notwithstanding all the programs, platforms, and what have you, eventually you're going to be bored out of your gourd, at least IMO. Apparently, Kat did not previously ride much inside as she said "I barely trained inside during 2022."
Irony is a stretch.
You say: "We have to balance the chance of injury/death from riding outside vs the chance of injury from running too much."
Don't think so and you stray into false dichotomies and hyperbole.
First the chance of serious injury (defined as 2 months off the bike, say) let alone death from riding outside is very very small (YMMV and so may your roads/drivers). The chance of injury from running 'too much' (whatever that threshold is) is very high (close to 1, almost by definition). And such an injury could easily mean no running at speed for more than 2 months.
From insta's Kat is back to easy swimming, short cycling and slow running (and receiving (British) Army Sportswoman of the Year award, and presenting at an Asics shindig).
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Kat Matthews after the car crashed into her and she now moving onwards [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:

Irony is a stretch.
You say: "We have to balance the chance of injury/death from riding outside vs the chance of injury from running too much."
Don't think so and you stray into false dichotomies and hyperbole.
First the chance of serious injury (defined as 2 months off the bike, say) let alone death from riding outside is very very small (YMMV and so may your roads/drivers). The chance of injury from running 'too much' (whatever that threshold is) is very high (close to 1, almost by definition). And such an injury could easily mean no running at speed for more than 2 months.
From insta's Kat is back to easy swimming, short cycling and slow running (and receiving (British) Army Sportswoman of the Year award, and presenting at an Asics shindig).

Perhaps I am an outlier but in 37 years I've never had an injury from running, and I've run up to 60 mi/wk with a 37-yr avg of about 25 mi/wk. I generally run every day at 2-6 mi/day. Over that same 37 yrs, I have had 4 bike wrecks that put me in the hospital, so obviously my opinion is shaped by my personal experience. Before I started running and doing triathlons, I was always a swimmer but had lots of runner friends and hence I heard a lot about their various injuries. As a consequence, when I finally bit the bullet and started running myself, I was super careful about running and I don't run at all if I feel a potential injury coming on. But whatever, we can just agree to disagree. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes Björn is quite vehement about the fact that he thinks no one needs to run for more then two hours and even that only a few times a season. Also very little to no training above anaerobic threshold. It seems to work quite well for both Kat and Lange.
Quote Reply
Re: A chat with Kat Matthews after the car crashed into her and she now moving onwards [JE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JE wrote:
Yes Björn is quite vehement about the fact that he thinks no one needs to run for more then two hours and even that only a few times a season. Also very little to no training above anaerobic threshold. It seems to work quite well for both Kat and Lange.
Lange goes 2:30 (assume 400m short so <2:32) at Tiberias (just now): whatever actual distance, likely an IM run at the fastest speed (ie kmph/mph) ever. Geesmann's run training philosophy playing out?
Quote Reply