Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calf sleeves
Quote | Reply
Watching races over the last few weeks, seem like calf sleeves are almost becoming a requirement. Any one got strong opinions for / against? And if for - any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Calf sleeves [AndyDawson01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got calf sleeves a few years ago, had them measure my calf to get the right size because I guess that's a factor. I ran with them once, and got calf cramps in both legs. Never used them again.

Maybe they were actually the wrong size, maybe my calves don't like them, maybe it's something else, but I'm not a convert. To each their own though.
Quote Reply
Re: Calf sleeves [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m curenely using the Huub anemoi and have previously used some others from huub, from skins and also compressport.

I race a lot of cold races so they’re usually the only concession I make to leg covering other than my tri suit or shorts. Leave them on for the run and don’t really notice them to be honest.

The anemoi are the first time I’ve bought some with aero in mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Calf sleeves [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianmo80 wrote:
I’m curenely using the Huub anemoi and have previously used some others from huub, from skins and also compressport.

I race a lot of cold races so they’re usually the only concession I make to leg covering other than my tri suit or shorts. Leave them on for the run and don’t really notice them to be honest.

The anemoi are the first time I’ve bought some with aero in mind.

Are you in the US and able to order the anemoi?
Quote Reply
Re: Calf sleeves [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in Europe. The Huub rep for the USA posts here though. Might be Andy Potts, do a thread FAOthe Huub rep, he always answers on anything involving them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They wear them for the aero benefit now in their resurgence not for compression is my take on it.

I wear a pair of Cep ones. Might just be placebo but I feel like the on set of short n splints gets reduced, so I use them in run training, and then just races too
Quote Reply
Re: Calf sleeves [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianmo80 wrote:
I’m in Europe. The Huub rep for the USA posts here though. Might be Andy Potts, do a thread FAOthe Huub rep, he always answers on anything involving them.

Did that and no reply

Even started a thread about it

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...string=huub#p7714576

Thank you for the suggestion

Unfortunately didn’t work. There are at least 2 threads with people asking how to order from the US because they are out of stock on so many items which are available in Europe

I’ve spent thousands of dollars on the European site but no longer can order from Huub

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...string=huub#p7714576
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if you really want them and aren’t afraid to wait you can deliver them to me and I can post them to you. DM if you want some support here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A requirement?

Not here:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/General_Fit_Articles/Bike_Positions_of_the_Male_Pros_in_Kona_8518.html

Just saying ...
Quote Reply
Re: Calf sleeves [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
A requirement?

Not here:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/General_Fit_Articles/Bike_Positions_of_the_Male_Pros_in_Kona_8518.html

Just saying ...

Kona is a non-wetsuit swim so if you want to put on calf sleeves you have to do it in T1. Most pros in the Top 10 list don't bother because making that front pack is more important. But the guy who broke the course record took the time to put on his calf sleeves.

Now check out the top spots for any wetsuit swim, where you're allowed to put them on under your wetsuit...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a pair of the Aerocoach ones with trip strips. They showed some pretty good test results on their social media, so I bought a pair for the aero benefits, with no real interest in compression. I bought them based on the suitable sizing for my calf measurements, and wore them for a few races in the year I bought them. For the first few races, they were great on the bike, but during the run, as my lower legs swelled, they ended up being so tight around the top that they cut into my leg, and left a clean cut line around the circumference of my calf.

A few years later, I tried them again: they felt fine when I was putting them on, but over time, they had either become stretched, the polyamide or lycra had degraded, or my calves shrunk ,,, and about 3h into the bike, they ended up slipping down my calves like an old tired pair of dress socks every 10 pedal strokes, or so.

All that said, if I were super serious, I would probably buy them again, wear them for the bike only, and remove them for the run. of course, I imagine they are like a sleeved trisuit, where they start to degrade after about 5-6 wearings, and the benefits they confer - if they do confer benefits at all, as I understand it is very individual - start to decay as they lose their compression. The trip strips would probably still do their thing (if they did a thing to begin with - again, individual), but I think the only way to be sure is testing.
Quote Reply
Re: Calf sleeves [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Mulen wrote:
A requirement?

Not here:

Just saying ...

Kona is a non-wetsuit swim so if you want to put on calf sleeves you have to do it in T1. Most pros in the Top 10 list don't bother because making that front pack is more important. But the guy who broke the course record took the time to put on his calf sleeves.

Now check out the top spots for any wetsuit swim, where you're allowed to put them on under your wetsuit...

Not to get picky.........but his were compression socks not aero sleeves. My guess is that he wanted them for the run didn't want to put them on in T2 and did it in T1 to save time for the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there! I just responded in your other thread; so I will just copy/paste that here too in case you or someone else misses it and needs to reference it:

As you guessed, you are being redirected to the US site if your IP address originates in the US.

If you would like to order a product they only have on the UK site, you can:

- VPN to their site and order directly. I am not 100% certain on how they are fulfilling but you will most likely be responsible for shipping, duty(potentially). In addition, if you have any issues, you will have to deal directly with HUUB UK.

- Call them and figure out how to place an order.

The calf sleeves are fantastic, and so are some of the other products which we do not carry in the US, but unfortunately the demand for those products is too low to ship and carry inventory. We will be expanding our inventory in the future but we have to be strategic as we build out the US business with the items that people want most.

I hope that helps, provides some background and gives you some options. If not, feel free to email me directly and I will try to help you out: andypotts@huubusa.com

HUUB USA I
"http://www.andypottsracing.com.com"]Andy Potts Racing[/url] I
andy@andypottsracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: Calf sleeves [andypotts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andypotts wrote:
Hi there! I just responded in your other thread; so I will just copy/paste that here too in case you or someone else misses it and needs to reference it:

As you guessed, you are being redirected to the US site if your IP address originates in the US.

If you would like to order a product they only have on the UK site, you can:

- VPN to their site and order directly. I am not 100% certain on how they are fulfilling but you will most likely be responsible for shipping, duty(potentially). In addition, if you have any issues, you will have to deal directly with HUUB UK.

- Call them and figure out how to place an order.

The calf sleeves are fantastic, and so are some of the other products which we do not carry in the US, but unfortunately the demand for those products is too low to ship and carry inventory. We will be expanding our inventory in the future but we have to be strategic as we build out the US business with the items that people want most.

I hope that helps, provides some background and gives you some options. If not, feel free to email me directly and I will try to help you out: andypotts@huubusa.com

Awesome!

Big fan of your Andy. Been doing tris since 1984

Glad to see you on the site more

Thank you
Last edited by: MrTri123: Nov 26, 22 13:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m waiting for a delivery of Huub 3sixteen calf sleeves.
I’m not a Triathlete though I’m a UK Tester.
Will be trying them with Velotoze and I have a pair of Nike Dartex Overshoes that I found in a box of old kit to test with them as well.
my current Rule28 overshoes are on their last legs and thought calf sleeves with separate overshoes may have a longer lifespan.
Quote Reply