Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

if CABLES are un-aerodynamic...(equipment question)
Quote | Reply
if shifter cables are un-aero, then for those of us using slammed road bikes, wouldn't a bullhorn bar be a good investment? I say this assuming that most of the riding would be in the aerobars regardless of the base bar. I also say this assuming that i am poor (i wish i was simply assuming!).

For $30 i could get a profile bullhorn bar. I could remove my drop bars, put my STI levers on the ends of the bullhorns, and mount my slam bars onto them--again, for $30, and in about 20 minutes.

I KNOW this is not ideal--i know that the STI cables will be out in the open--but they already were, right? I know that i should probably get barend shifters and levers, but again, i would have not had them on the drop bars anyway. By swapping the road bar for the bullhorn, i would have gotten rid of the whole drop portion of the bar which is right at the front of my bike.

wouldn't this be advantageous? just a thought. please tell me if i'm missing something (besides a real tri bike :) ).
Quote Reply
Re: if CABLES are un-aerodynamic...(equipment question) [rossman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose bullhorns are more aero than drops just based on the frontal area. This is going to make zero difference in your bike split though. You will get much more benefit by going to shifters on your aerobars, not only does it keep you more aerodynamic, you will shift more often. Since STI costs more than bar ends I would think you could work some sort of trade or Ebay and have it cost you nothing.

Use a bullhorn if you find it more comfortable, and you are not concerned about riding with roadies. My wife uses bullhorns because they put the brakes much closer to her fingers and she has small hands, she uses them with STI. I was disappointed that the El Tour de Tucson banned aerobars this last year, and I didn't enter because my good bike has bullhorns and bar ends. This also keeps me from riding that bike with roadies; I have to use my old junk bike instead. Another good reason to use a bullhorn might be if you like how it makes your bike look (this is critical to enjoying your ride!).
Quote Reply
Re: if CABLES are un-aerodynamic...(equipment question) [rossman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a guy running in a slam position on his road bike using the smallest size Vision Tech one piece bar. Seemed to fit/work very well for him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Campy runs the cables trough the base bar, shimano doesn´t

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: if CABLES are un-aerodynamic...(equipment question) [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who are the loser roadies who won't you ride with them with bullhorns. What's with that F**ing attitude (sorry for getting emotional about this). I ride with roadies with bullhorns and aerobars. The aerobars are dead weight as I NEVER use them unless I am the dude at the front of the paceline. They have no issue with me riding with them. Maybe I just ride with enlightened roadies. I DO understand that you can't race with aerobars and bullhorns, but certainly these dudes should be willing to let you ride with them in training as long as your nands are on the bullhorns with your hands within a microsecond of being able to hit the brakes !

I bet you Lance would let you ride with him with aerobars and bullhorns !
Quote Reply
Re: if CABLES are un-aerodynamic...(equipment question) [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'd wager not...unless you actually knew how to ride on them. Sad to say but most triathletes do not know how to ride (and no I am not an elitist roadie with issues). Watched as a handfull of Canadas best triathletes got pointers on how to corner better a few days before the 1992 World Champs in Muskoka. Scary...very very scary.
Quote Reply
Re: if CABLES are un-aerodynamic...(equipment question) [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'll tell you right now I will NOT be riding in a pack with my Hed aerobars. That's for MY safety, first. The Hed horns just aren't substantial enough when some dumbass ahead of me grabs a handful of brake because he/she wasn't paying attention. If I'm riding with more than one or two other riders, I'll always grab the road bike. If I still had only one bike, I'd have a more traditional setup like Syntace or Profile that gives a lot more for the hand to grab onto. Having the luxury of two bikes, I'll choose road any day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

You might want to edit that to read: I bet you Lance would let you start a ride with him with aerobars and bullhorns!

Bullhorns or drops, I seriously doubt any of us would hold on for long

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than El Tour de Tucson, I've never been actually told I can't play if I bring my aerobars. But when I go ride with a group of roadies, I like to respect that they are roadies. They like to sprint for signs, go like hell up all the hills, fight their way past you in the pack, take a lot of breaks, and do all the other "roadie" stuff that never happens when I ride with excusively triathletes. Training for a bike race is not like training for a triathlon. So, I wouldn't stay home just because I have aerobars, but if I have a choice I feel more welcome if I fit in with their style, which includes drop bars. Maybe it's me not them.

I've seen plenty of people use aerobars on group rides (on the front, bridging, or barely hanging on the back). Maybe they know what they are doing but how do we know that they know?
Quote Reply
Re: if CABLES are un-aerodynamic...(equipment question) [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I LOVE my new P2K! While I don't ride UCI races, the damned thing is UCI legal. I have bar end shifters and bullhorns...still UCI legal. That's cause I use old school Gripshift shifters on my aero bars. Not very sexy but incredibly comfy and they work very well with my carpel tunnel syndrome wrists. It's also easy to shift multiple shifts at one time. It's my understanding that gripshift are the only UCI legal bar end shifters, and then the front of them can't be too far forward.

Roadies I ride with don't complain about bullhorns or aero bars (as long as I don't ride on the aero bars in the bunch) I don't have to worry about using the aero bars while on the front of the bunch cause I'm nowhere nearly good enough to take a turn at the front. (Damn) I use Dia Comp 188 brake levers which comply UCI as far as I know (other types may not)

Roadies usually just comment how great my bike looks.

I too

TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply