Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My latest project....
Quote | Reply

A few years ago, I shifted from using my spare time to conduct bike projects (rolling resistance test, aero tests, etc.) to complete a long-term project: an historical, globally-focused book on the "melting pot" and multiculturalism. I finally finished it recently and it is now available for pre-order.

It represents nearly two decades of historical research and fieldwork in over 40 countries, from Bosnia to Botswana. As I've always done with the bike stuff, I left no stone un-turned in this research. So far, it has garnered positive reviews from Victor Davis Hanson, Michael Barone, and others (a number of folks on the Left, who wish to remain anonymous). It can be pre-ordered from your local bookstore and the usual online folks.

https://www.amazon.com/...oks%2C170&sr=1-1

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/...rt-heycke/1141650017

https://www.target.com/...rdcover/-/A-86991478

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: Oct 27, 22 13:50
Quote Reply
Re: My latest project.... [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats Jens. Looks like an interesting read.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! Looks like it will be a good read.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow - really took a turn from one subject to the next. Those two are not even remotely related. I wish I had spare time (Im at my desk working - this doesnt count)
Last edited by: BigToe: Oct 27, 22 12:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's anything like your thinking on bikes, every angle will have been considered. Seeing your name pop up in a thread is an automatic click for me. I always learn something.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: My latest project.... [BigToe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

There actually is some bike stuff in the book: a firsthand account of a bicycle race in Rwanda (not what you would imagine...).

I originally had an account of the UCI Gran Fondo race in Bosnia as well but took it out in the final draft.

BigToe wrote:
Wow - really took a turn from one subject to the next. Those two are not even remotely related. I wish I had spare time (Im at my desk working - this doesnt count)

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impressive, I’ll definitely check it out.

I did my graduate thesis on ethnic conflict, military interventions and emerging democracies.

Interested in your thoughts on the “relative decline” in democratic sentiment in the US and elsewhere - hugely loaded question ;)
Quote Reply
Re: My latest project.... [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
Impressive, I’ll definitely check it out.

Interested in your thoughts on the “relative decline” in democratic sentiment in the US and elsewhere - hugely loaded question ;)

The stats in the book do show a strong negative correlation between ethnic fractionalization and democratic rule: of the eighty-five countries with fractionalization levels above the world median, only four have truly democratic governments. That has to be taken with a grain of salt, because ethnic fractionalization also correlates negatively with the number of years a country has been independent; former colonies with borders arbitrarily drawn across ethnic boundaries tend to be more fractionalized -- and less democratic. On the other hand, anecdotal evidence suggests that countries that smooth over ethnic division and seek unity (e.g. Botswana and post-genocide Rwanda) have much better luck at democratic rule than countries where ethnic division runs rampant (e.g. Nigeria, Ethiopia)

Last edited by: jens: Oct 29, 22 10:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can’t wait to read it! As someone who has lived in Rwanda, worked with their national cycling program been to a few races from UCI stage racing to 25km mud road talent ID races but also researched enough of their troubles to see how European colonialism has had such a negative impact in that region, even to this day, it’ll be interesting to see what you have to say on the topic.

jens wrote:
There actually is some bike stuff in the book: a firsthand account of a bicycle race in Rwanda (not what you would imagine...).

I originally had an account of the UCI Gran Fondo race in Bosnia as well but took it out in the final draft.

BigToe wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that grain of salt is still a very big factor.

When I wrote my thesis, Fukuyama’s End of History was still a hotly contested topic. I argued in favor of him but now, I’m not so sure.
Quote Reply
Re: My latest project.... [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I thought some of you might like my latest melting pot article:

https://www.realclearbooks.com/...ting_pot_888071.html

Last edited by: jens: Mar 22, 23 4:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting article.

The melting pot ideal seems a worthy one. Reading summaries of your work and book, there is one thing that l have wondered. After several generations in the usa, to the casual observer, culturally and physically, it often becomes very difficult to tell apart various groups of previously distinct "white" nationalities (like Poles, Russians, Germans, Scots, Irish, Italians, Greeks, Spaniards, Jews, and so on).

But this not so of Asian and African Americans (and perhaps a couple other groups). Unless there has been an enormous amount of intermarriage with Europeans or other groups, even if an Asian or Black person's family has gone through the "melting pot" process (in all of the positive aspects of that analogy), they are still physically extremely easy to identify. Which can make them targets of discrimination or worse.

Based on your extensive research, do you think that this factor figures into the equation of how and why certain groups of people have more challenges in being accepted in the usa? Or in other countries? In the vice video that you referenced in your article, several of the american participants mentioned that "when people see me, they don't see me as american", which is a direct reflection of my observation/question above. I think.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 22, 23 7:15
Quote Reply
Re: My latest project.... [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Based on your extensive research, do you think that this factor figures into the equation of how and why certain groups of people have more challenges in being accepted in the usa? Or in other countries? In the vice video that you referenced in your article, several of the american participants mentioned that "when people see me, they don't see me as american", which is a direct reflection of my observation/question above. I think.

It's a good question. The short answer is: the melting pot is by no means perfect, but it's a hell of lot better than the alternative (i.e. maintaining and reinforcing ethnic/racial boundaries with a government or institutional imprimatur). The latter approach has consistently resulted in persistent group antagonism--and often outright violence or genocide--throughout history.

The issue is really whether group distinctions are officially sanctioned, regardless of discernible physical differences. The "racial" difference between Hutus and Tutsis in Rwanda is minimal and inconsistent. In fact, there was no systematic conflict between the two groups.....until Belgian colonialists arrived and formalized the distinction with "racial" identity cards and group preferences. Same goes for Tamils and Sinhalese in Sri Lanka. It was not the racial difference that caused the problem in these countries, it was the politicization of the difference.

On the other hand, societies that have worked hard to "erase race"--avoiding any official distinction between groups--and forging a shared identity, have generally done quite well. Botswana is an outstanding example of this: they don't even allow racial/ethnic/tribal questions on their census. Batswana who travel outside their country experience culture shock: they just don't get racial distinctions:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/01/31/botswana-offers-u-s-valuable-lesson-achieving-racial-harmony/2731108002/

Post-genocide Rwanda has made huge strides toward reconciling and uniting with a dogged insistence that "There are no Hutus or Tutsis; we are all Rwandans." Job applications there have any information indicating gender, race, ethnicity, tribe blacked out. Given the scope and recency of the genocide, Rwanda's new "race-blind" policy has been spectacularly successful.

I'm told that locals can tell who is ethnically Thai or ethnically Chinese in Thailand. But Thailand has avoided the path of Malaysia, where they have an "affirmative action" system that distinguished between groups. So relations between the large Chinese minority and the majority in Thailand are extremely good. Everyone considers the Chinese to be Thai, with a slight Chinese flavor.

Race is only what people make of it. When I was a kid living in Germany in the 1960s, I tended to immediately assume anyone who appeared Asian or Black was one of my fellow Americans and would heartily greet them as such (I don't ever remember getting it wrong). The ancient Romans were curiously oblivious to race: they had both Black and white slaves (more of the latter), and a number of top generals and consuls (kinda like president) were Black. Emperor Septimius Severus was from North Africa.

BTW, virtually all of the worst ethnic conflicts of the last 100 years have been between groups who are not readily discernible by appearance. The genocide of the Herrero perhaps the most notable exception.

In any case, intermarriage rates of ~45% (Asians), 39% (Latinos), and 20% (Blacks), racial distinctions are making racial discernment increasingly irrelevant. The rash of Rachel Dolezals is an indication of this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this-the article was interesting and uplifting. My Italian mother off loaded at Ellis Island. However, my French father, an 11 year old sailing alone, off loaded from the Normandie with Marlene Dietrich's daughter. As you can imagine their assimilation into American cultural was quite different.
Quote Reply
Re: My latest project.... [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The book is officially released and shipping today (4/11/23).

http://amazon.com/dp/1641773197

Quote Reply
Coleman Hughes interview [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

You can catch Coleman Hughes interviewing me on the book here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8shGyLGOMVU

Quote Reply