Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Elon does it again... This man is so far above Genius
Quote | Reply
Self driving cars, Missions to the moon, Now a robot that walks... Man this guy is doing things never seen before.

Sure 8 yrs ago Honda had this.. but common this doesnt really count as a walking robot.

But that was so bad Honda fixed it 6 yrs ago claiming it ran.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Elon does it again... This man is so far above Genius [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Self driving cars, Missions to the moon, Now a robot that walks... Man this guy is doing things never seen before.

Sure 8 yrs ago Honda had this.. but common this doesnt really count as a walking robot.

But that was so bad Honda fixed it 6 yrs ago claiming it ran.

not for nothing, that thing looks like me at 18 years old, sneaking through the house after a night of drinking with the guys.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Elon does it again... This man is so far above Genius [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty impressed by what Boston Dynamics has been developing with their robots.

Quote Reply
Re: Elon does it again... This man is so far above Genius [Brandon_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the BD stuff kinda scares me

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Elon does it again... This man is so far above Genius [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elon being Elon, overhypes and overpromises. He said in the past ā€œIf you are not embarrassed by the first version of your product, youā€™ve launched too lateā€, so at least heā€™s consistent.

According to Elon, the big differentiator is going to be the AI. The existing bots are much better at many things, but only when their working space is mapped in advance. Teslaā€™s Robot supposedly uses Neural Networks to navigate through its surroundings.

While the bot was super lame, it is the first prototype that they developed in something like 6 - 8 months. They do have very talented engineers and they proved in the past they can improve fast. For example, Tesla kept improving their robotics at their Fremont plant and as a result it was the most productive auto plant in North America in 2021.
This project might not pan out, like many of Elonā€™s other projects, so it's anyone's guess as to whether a truly functional Tesla bot will ever see the light of day.
Quote Reply
Re: Elon does it again... This man is so far above Genius [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
This ā˜ļø
Quote Reply
Re: Elon does it again... This man is so far above Genius [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was kinda eerie, but I'm pretty sure those robots are still "dumb." I can't imagine they're doing anything other than what was mapped out in their programming.

I'm more impressed with their ability to self-balance given all of the obstacles on the course. I'll have to look, but I'm pretty sure there's a blooper real where the robots don't quite make the jumps.
Quote Reply
Re: Elon does it again... This man is so far above Genius [plifter242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plifter242 wrote:
renorider wrote:

This ā˜ļø

It's too late, they're already out in the wild:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoot, even Disney has a robot that can fly, though sometimes its acrobatic stunts do go awry.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: Elon does it again... This man is so far above Genius [Brandon_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandon_W wrote:
It was kinda eerie, but I'm pretty sure those robots are still "dumb." I can't imagine they're doing anything other than what was mapped out in their programming.

I'm more impressed with their ability to self-balance given all of the obstacles on the course. I'll have to look, but I'm pretty sure there's a blooper real where the robots don't quite make the jumps.

One must teach a robot to walk before it can run.

I feel like weā€™re seeing the earliest beginnings of what will eventually be integrated with human tissue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching them being trained in a research lab is pretty cool. The university students we were watching were working with one of the smaller 'dog' sized BD bots. Was strange listening to it start walking and thumping then crashing as it was learning.
Quote Reply
Re: Elon does it again... This man is so far above Genius [Garagelab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garagelab wrote:
Brandon_W wrote:

I feel like weā€™re seeing the earliest beginnings of what will eventually be integrated with human tissue.

Why though? What advantage would human tissue give?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:

Just imagine the government stuff that is not public
Quote Reply
Re: Elon does it again... This man is so far above Genius [plifter242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plifter242 wrote:
renorider wrote:

This ā˜ļø

Me to, there dog like thing is crazy scary. The original was bigdog.. which was wild.

They now are selling spot.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Elon does it again... This man is so far above Genius [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomkR wrote:
Garagelab wrote:

I used human tissue generally, but I more meant brain tissue. I'm thinking more into the future, like 100+ years.

As this technology progresses, the limitation will always be CPU. If you want infantile robots to work a warehouse or perform other basic tasks, great. We can do that today.

However, as Windy stated, what we cannot see is exactly how far this technology actually has progressed. The "next gen" robots will smarter, but will always be CPU limited.

The use for the humanoid robots is nearly endless. So long as the programming is robust. The technology can be extended to give humans mobility that they never would have imagined, otherwise.

For example (an extreme example), to leave Earth permanently (a la The Expanse), our human form will need to be augmented in my opinion.

So much potential for good......and abuse.
Quote Reply
Re: Elon does it again... This man is so far above Genius [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomkR wrote:

Energy efficiency. The big problem with motors or hydraulics is they suck electricity really fast. If you want something that can work all day, might need something akin to muscle fibers.

Come on, this is Slowtwitch. Have some respect for the amazing ability to go for 10 hours on 3 Clif bars and 4 quarts of sugar water.

At least for bipedal stuff. I tend to think that an R2 unit with wheels makes more sense with current tech than a bipedal protocol bot.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 2, 22 19:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TomkR wrote:

Time travel

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All he does is turn up the hype and BS dials to 111. Others well ahead. Just not full of his SH1T.
Quote Reply