Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Spectating Kona, go or stay home? [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not so much tough kids. More that every behavior needs a parental contact and logged even if I wasn’t there. Don’t want this to become about the type of work or issues. Should have just said work load increases when gone and takes extra time upon returning.
Quote Reply
Re: Spectating Kona, go or stay home? [bluesmachine, lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:
I am a school teacher as well - middle school - so I understand the possible extra work upon return and even a bit more work before you leave.

BUT - and all schools/students/situations are different - but they will really be fine. What if you had Covid like so many of us had and you had to be out 5 or even 10 days? They would survive. I have travelled many times for races taking personal days and the kids even get into it and if three days away causes THAT much of a difference in behavior then they must REALLY be some tough tough kids. Teachers are valuable but not THAT valuable that we can’t get away for 3 days. Teachers are absent. It happens. Kids are malleable and they deal with things sometimes better than adults.

As far as the other stuff goes, I personally enjoy racing on my own as it’s less stress and at these big races so many of us know so many other people that it’s never lonely. Sometimes it can be even less stress for the racer.

Do what you feel is right of course but on the teacher front: you’re a teacher by trade, but it shouldn’t consume your whole life where you feel like you cant leave for a few days.

I agree with Mr. Blues here, and I think you are perhaps taking your job a bit too seriously. I mean really, your kids will be OK even if you were to take 1.5 weeks off, which what I would do if I were you. Lots of people think that "OMG, I can't take any time off b/c the office/school/whatever would just fall apart", when in reality you could take a full year off on sabbatical and the school/office/whatever would move on without you. It's great that you are so dedicated to your students but perhaps it is time to lighten up just a little and not take your job so terribly seriously. :):)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Oct 3, 22 22:28
Quote Reply
Re: Spectating Kona, go or stay home? [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lonniecdams wrote:
Ticket is already bought, just deciding to take credit or use the ticket. Appreciate the info!

You can totally get to the airport for a 10 pm flight. The Queen K going north is open to cars, and you'll be well past the time where bikes are coming in from north of the airport. You just need to make sure your car is not parked in a place where it's blocked in by the race, but unless you're on the ocean side of Ali'i Drive, that's unlikely. (I'm a local.)

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Spectating Kona, go or stay home? [ihersey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Good to know! Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what little it's worth, I hope you end up making the trip.
You end up having much bigger regrets about the things you don't do. And Kona is a great place.
But much more importantly, whatever decision you make, stick by it. It's not like you've come to your final call without a lot of agonising!

"Find a way, not an excuse". Goony, Kona, 2009
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading the original question I’m guessing the biggest issue is the travel anxiety. Not going anywhere in 7 years and a short chaotic trip like this probably won’t help lessen that stress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m a teacher.

Take the trip. Tell the kids it’s important. Maybe post updates through the trip on your google classroom or something. Assign an assignment relevant to your adventure and their curriculum.

Tell them you’d really appreciate it if they were extra good when you were gone and you’ll have a fun day for them when you get back with a good report.

This stuff works. Im missing three days next week for a conference and will employ a similar strategy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also a teacher. Wife is in education also(Assistant Principal)

I say go. If this was 3rd or 4th time in Kona I would understand not going. If it is the 1st time then I am 100% going to support her.

Your students will be just fine. I am running the NYC marathon in November and am taking a week off. I didn't blink when I put the time off request in. Running Boston in April, another week. Not a shed of remorse. You need to have a life outside of school.

Celebrate with your wife. She may say she is ok with you not there but I have said the same thing and then my wife has shown up to local races and it makes it so much better. You have already spent the money, use the ticket. If you take the credit will you ever use it?

Talk to your admin. Ask them to drop in your classes each day you are gone. A simple 2 minute check in is doable by any administrator. I am getting my Masters in admin and if your admin says they can't do that, then they suck at their job.

I hope you go. I hope you hug your wife at the finish line. I hope you don't worry about your students while you are there.
Quote Reply
Re: Spectating Kona, go or stay home? [EastonZ16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did decide to go. My admin is amazing and they were questioning why I wasn't taking the entire week off. More me than them. Good admin makes this job so much easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, enjoy every minute and tell her the teachers of Slowtwitch wish her well!
Quote Reply
Re: Spectating Kona, go or stay home? [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do something similar, but with recorded lessons of me teaching and the sub pauses the video. I do need to stay on track for pacing. We have two content teachers and the students have both of us so it is a system where they build on the previous day. Got it squared away and leaving tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You see!? Amazing how these things work out.
If you can swing it, have a mai tai at Huggo's for all of us who won't be there.
Great stuff, enjoy, and good luck to your wife.

lonniecdams wrote:
I did decide to go. My admin is amazing and they were questioning why I wasn't taking the entire week off. More me than them. Good admin makes this job so much easier.

"Find a way, not an excuse". Goony, Kona, 2009
Last edited by: teaandstuff: Oct 4, 22 12:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enjoy your time on the Big Island!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife was a teacher until about 8 months ago (in the UK). Its a demanding 8-day-a-week job that takes it out of you (as I think you allude to, all the BS parts , not the actual core teaching).

Now... I reckon its a good choice you've made to go. Yes it'll add a bit of hassle. But a few days of something totally different, in a warm sunny place, PROVIDING you don't take work with you, will be something you'll really be pleased you took afterwards. (And conversely you would kick yourself for missing in future years - unless as someone else says, it was the 4th or 5th time there).

Have a great time. And give us all a wave on TV.
Quote Reply

Prev Next