Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ho'ala Swim live results? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
tilburs wrote:
Sam will be lucky and should count his blessings if Ironman don't expel him from race next week. That behaviour will do him no favours with Ironman in the long run.

Seriously, WTF is he thinking? Banditing an official event, winning it handily, and coming up the beach and through the finish chute to applause and a medal around his neck (which he declines). Talk about awkward. I mean, this makes Rosie Ruiz look good.

"The sea is not owned by Ironman." What a douche.

How stupid can you be coming in via the finish chute. He had many points he could even exit at with no one noticing keeping in mind that the Ho ala swim finish is actually on the North side of the pier while the actual Ironman swim finish is at the South side of the pier....he could have gone South and not created confusion. If I was Messick I would boot him from my race on the weekend just for being too stupid to be a professional at anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala Swim live results? [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Langridge ftw. Brandon saving herself?
Laidlow does himself ZERO favours, imho, and disrespects the organisers and their efforts. By all means swim it but do not go near the finish arch.

100%. I don't they will want to kick him out but maybe a fine to make a statement at the very least.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Oct 3, 22 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala Swim live results? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
Langridge ftw. Brandon saving herself?
Laidlow does himself ZERO favours, imho, and disrespects the organisers and their efforts. By all means swim it but do not go near the finish arch.

100%. I don't they will want to kick him out but maybe a fine to make a statement at the very least.

He should definitely make a statement and apologize. This was completely unacceptable.
Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala Swim live results? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
kny wrote:
tilburs wrote:
Sam will be lucky and should count his blessings if Ironman don't expel him from race next week. That behaviour will do him no favours with Ironman in the long run.

Seriously, WTF is he thinking? Banditing an official event, winning it handily, and coming up the beach and through the finish chute to applause and a medal around his neck (which he declines). Talk about awkward. I mean, this makes Rosie Ruiz look good.

"The sea is not owned by Ironman." What a douche.

How stupid can you be coming in via the finish chute. He had many points he could even exit at with no one noticing keeping in mind that the Ho ala swim finish is actually on the North side of the pier while the actual Ironman swim finish is at the South side of the pier....he could have gone South and not created confusion. If I was Messick I would boot him from my race on the weekend just for being too stupid to be a professional at anything.

The real problem here is that he is finished first. He should have thought about that possibility and how it would look, and do exactly that, finish off to the side. But keep in mind that many other pro triathletes have banditted the swim. The only difference is none of them came in first. I'm no lawyer, but it would seem Ironman has establish a precedent by not addressing past infractions. You can't fine or even reprimand him IMHO but what they should do is put their foot down and take this opportunity to establish new policy.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala Swim live results? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, the "everyone else does it so I can" defense would not prevent the RDs from taking any action they see fit (I've no idea how this relates to the actual race or whether they could penalize him "there" for what he did "here")
Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala Swim live results? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't get me wrong, Sam shouldn't have done what he did, but my point is that it is poor form if they target him. Ironman has known about banditing IMHO, in 2018 there was a world-class pro (much bigger than Sam) who banditted the swim and then bragged about it on Insta. How would that look to just target Sam. If Sam was a little slower we wouldn't even be talking about it now and no doubt there were other pros who bandditted the race. Would the same fine and penalty apply to all of them?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Don't get me wrong, Sam shouldn't have done what he did, but my point is that it is poor form if they target him. Ironman has known about banditing IMHO, in 2018 there was a world-class pro (much bigger than Sam) who banditted the swim and then bragged about it on Insta. How would that look to just target Sam. If Sam was a little slower we wouldn't even be talking about it now and no doubt there were other pros who bandditted the race. Would the same fine and penalty apply to all of them?

Yes it obviously should.

Why is it "poor form" if they target him? The guy (/kid) is making himself, through this and other venues, look like a total douche-hole. I'm also amazed he's even doing Kona, as his chances for a top finish are close to zero.
Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala Swim live results? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Yes it obviously should.

Why is it "poor form" if they target him? The guy (/kid) is making himself, through this and other venues, look like a total douche-hole. I'm also amazed he's even doing Kona, as his chances for a top finish are close to zero.

It is poor form because they have never cared about it before. As an analogy, it is like a law on the books in Wisconsin that one shall have ice cream with their apple pie. Obviously it is never enforced, but I guess it could be. You don't just target someone who doesn't have ice cream with their apple pie because you don't like them. You apply the law consistently.

I'm fine if they want to start a new precedent of enforcing sanctions with this, but again like bolded above, apply it to everyone, not just Sam.

Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala Swim live results? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's "poor form" apparently because its been going on for years unenforced... so to decide all of a sudden to punish to such an extreme measure as completely kicking him out of the race is poor form.

I completely agree what Sam did is uncalled for and deserves to be highlighted for how disrespectful it is. However, the proper way for IM to handle this is to announce it has gotten out of hand and that going forward in future races this kind of action will result in being removed from the main event(or whatever they see fit). When laws or rules aren't being enforced for years, they need to reestablish authority before banning people on a whim.
Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala Swim live results? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Probably because the women’s race is 2 days earlier than it usually is. Could be a great way to ruin a taper.

Ah of course, don't know why this thought did not occur to me. :):)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only comment was to yours saying they “can’t”. Difference from “poor form”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suggest that blocking his registration would not be a good look 'in public'.
However Laidlow will be looking to bike for the distance in the front pack (see also St George). If I were he I'd be very very circumspect about staying a good 15m behind the guy in front of me.
"Penalty tents will be located at approximately 34 miles (Mauna Lani); at the bike turnaround in Hawi; at approximately 85 miles; and a half mile prior to T2."
Ron Kowalczyk's Saturday brief to his moto refs: "Keep an eye on M15, please ;) "
Lose the front pack, and he's running with the other slow runners and might make the prize money (top 15).
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Oct 6, 22 2:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Yes it obviously should.

It is poor form because they have never cared about it before. As an analogy, it is like a law on the books in Wisconsin that one shall have ice cream with their apple pie. Obviously it is never enforced, but I guess it could be. You don't just target someone who doesn't have ice cream with their apple pie because you don't like them. You apply the law consistently.

I'm fine if they want to start a new precedent of enforcing sanctions with this, but again like bolded above, apply it to everyone, not just Sam.

It's even less than that. All the worked up people here have decided that there *should* be a law to mandate ice cream with the pie, even when there isn't one. And with http://a typical Deep South lynch mob mentality, have decided he needs lynching anyway because they don't like out of town folk who don't eat ice cream (even though the reason the guy didn't eat ice cream was because the all the ice cream had all been eaten by the slow people innthe queue first).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow....Monty and Dan 1 and 2 in the M65-69 a few seconds apart. I think Monty is going slower than 1981 compared to Dan! ///

Wow, this thread sure took a turn. Most of us here were in our early 20's once, and as I recall, I did some stupid things, even worse than what Sam did here. Mostly I just learned from them, and no one, not one single person, tried to cancel me. And I imagine no one tried to cancel any of you with stupid race mistakes either, so can we stop with all the cancelling of Sam in the race this weekend talk, please...

One good thing that came out of Sam's swim, was that the course was pretty neutral for comparison sakes. I had thought that it was a 2 minute slow day for the lead group, but with his time factored in, just an average day out in the bay. I felt great in warm up, and really fast in my new Sailfish swimskin(thanks Jan!!) I did have to go against his recommendation on sizing, in fact two sizes less, but suit fit great and my compression was really tight, without any constriction. To be fair to their size charts, they would be very close or spot on if I were actually using the suit like the folks here, over a full trisuit that gets used for the rest of the race, numbers and all.

Got into a really great group that was swimming straight, and the shortest line, and wound up at 27+ to the first turnaround buoy. Goal was sub hour, haven't really done a lot of research, but think I might be the first guy over 65 to actually swim that fast on this course. So looked really good, did the math in my head and had oodles of time in hand to get back and beat the clock, and a few minutes later lightening struck. Well not lightening, but electricity struck, and at my heart. Most of you know I have a pacemaker, but during races it rarely ever goes off, until this past year. The good news is that it keeps me alive, but it also only pumps enough blood to just do that barley. SO when it hits and I'm pegging some race, I have to immediately stop all motion, keep my muscles from demanding more oxygen, and pull my breath in like the worst asthma attack you could imagine.

So got out of the way of the swimmers, floated on my back for about 5 minutes, and then looked for a boat with guards. No such luck, so just lightly started doing backstroke(so I could breath constantly) and kept an eye out for some help. There were some folks on boards, but I could float ok, and even move on my back, so just kept that up for 40 minutes to the finish line. After all I was a lifeguard for over 35 years, so who better to reduce me than me!!!

So no sub hour this day, was just glad to have my feet on the ground and my heart back into a sensible rhythm. Found out from Dan that I still won the age group, and as it happened, he was 6 seconds behind me walking through the finish line. Told him it would be a lot better story if we said he paid me to be his domestic for the entire race, then perhaps this whole Laidlow thing would be a nothing burger. Because if everyone thought that SLowman himself would stoop to such a dirty tactic(yes Lionel, looking at you.. (-; , then the site would have blown up and he could have been cancelled on his first day of transition...

Anyway going to see my heart doc in a couple weeks, do some real downloading of my pacemaker, and try and figure out what is going on. 3 times this year about 30 minutes into some OW races, I have had this issue, so time for a tune up...Swim was great and well organized, but do think they could let a few more in, especially if they went to two starts like 10 minutes apart. Go with the theme of the two starts the real race has now.
Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala Swim live results? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well it seems your naturally good buoyancy really helped you in this situation. Did you just turn over on your back and kind of scull your way for a while?

Good luck getting that sorted out. IT is a mechanical device so hopefully it can be fixed. Any thought that the lowish respiration rate in swimming is what is triggering the misfire?
Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala Swim live results? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you floated it in, and still won the AG.. in Kona.. wow. Sorry for the heart breakdown, that's nasty.
Good luck with the data analysis, hope the doc can figure something out..
mine's been reliable recently, don't know for sure if cutting out caffeine and alcohol helped but I'm not willing to experiment ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Yes it obviously should.

OK I was not aware. The times I have gone to Kona (3x to race, 2x to just volunteer etc), I arrived after this swim event. I just assumed it was like a formal race, like your local 10km or local tri or local open water swim race. When the local race is going on, ideally don't mix it up with the race field, but dammit if you do, just have enough brains to not come thru the finish chute.

But if its just been that anyone is invited and only people who want a formal time pay for a timing chip, that is another story. If that is the process then Laidlaw did nothing wrong, but from the outside world it looks like a swim race that he is injecting himself into. If the history of this thing is that anyone can come and only those who pay get a chip that is another story, but then all the talk about lifeguards etc is meaningless. How do lifeguards know who is in the race and who is not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And some wanted to ban Sam Laidlow from the race...
Guys... You'd better stay on your couch and stop practicing...
Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala Swim live results? [YvanElTche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well my understanding was the swim event was a race that he bandited versus it is a training day that you pay to get a timing chip and a time. If it is the former I still stand by that regardless of how fast he raced today. Just cause you are fast does not mean you are off the hook of doing stupid things.

Amazing race by the guy...Chapeau.
Quote Reply

Prev Next