Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMWC 2023….. not approved for 2 days yet.
Quote | Reply
From a reliable source IM does not have approval for a 2 day race next year.

Anyone else in the know can confirm.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWC 2023….. not approved for 2 days yet. [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should clarify if you mean approval in Kona from the local government .
Quote Reply
Re: IMWC 2023….. not approved for 2 days yet. [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who else’s approval is there. Yes the governmental agencies involved . Which ones, I do not know.

Now could this just be dotting the “I” and crossing “t” I do not know.

But not having all parties aligned and advertising a 2 day race could be very bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the local who picked me up at the airport they have a contract for 5 years for the 2 day format. Now considering the fact that she apparently only found out a week ago that th race was 2 days THIS year, I suppose maybe she might not be considered a reliable source but that was what I heard, at least. I do agree that it probably would be a good idea to see how this goes before deciding to keep doing it moving forward but I also understand how tricky that is when you already have people qualifying for 2023 and had to make decisions on things like slots and of course have them actually know what day they will be racing.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWC 2023….. not approved for 2 days yet. [Emzee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emzee wrote:
According to the local who picked me up at the airport they have a contract for 5 years for the 2 day format. Now considering the fact that she apparently only found out a week ago that th race was 2 days THIS year, I suppose maybe she might not be considered a reliable source but that was what I heard, at least. I do agree that it probably would be a good idea to see how this goes before deciding to keep doing it moving forward but I also understand how tricky that is when you already have people qualifying for 2023 and had to make decisions on things like slots and of course have them actually know what day they will be racing.

Taxi and Uber drivers are usually my source for government contracts and permits too.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
From a reliable source IM does not have approval for a 2 day race next year.

Anyone else in the know can confirm.

Shawn, why are you being a shit disturber? Permits are rarely issued for single day events on a multi-year basis.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 1, 22 6:13
Quote Reply
Re: IMWC 2023….. not approved for 2 days yet. [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually. But not this time. You know we have the 70.3WC RD and IMAZ RD in our town and circle. Word gets around and I’ve heard that’s there are already some angry people…

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The “locals” have been angry for years haven’t they?
I hear the same thing about IM LP….

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: IMWC 2023….. not approved for 2 days yet. [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference that IMLP came very close to *not* getting renewed.

Speaking *super* generally, though, final actual approvals won't happen until 3 to 6 months prior to race day. You'll have the general go-forward, then the planning process with the execution details to actually move to a final permit / approval.

I would find it very, very hard to believe that IM would advertise 2023 Worlds happening in Kona, with the slots allocated, without at least reaching a preliminary agreement about a two day event happening next year, then will figure out the final details after this year's race (e.g., what other logistical items IM will need to solve for to continue to have the two day event).

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: IMWC 2023….. not approved for 2 days yet. [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it was a comedian who coined the phrase- close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

So pardon my eye roll when I hear about locals “complaining” while the community *leaders* keeps extending those contracts.

If IM has already promoted ‘23 as a double day event, I’ll put $1k it’ll be a double day irregardless if it’s been “officially” accepted right now.

Eta: I get it when the locals hate a race. I was at 70.3 Augusta having to listen to the locals bitch why this race was in the way. Like I get it. But I also get that the money these races brings is, it’s almost impossible to say no to. So when you say a race was close to going away but didn’t, I shoulder shrug.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 1, 22 11:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Usually. But not this time. You know we have the 70.3WC RD and IMAZ RD in our town and circle. Word gets around and I’ve heard that’s there are already some angry people…

triathlon + road closures + locals = angry people

There have been angry people since 1978. Keep in mind that we're out there, riding stupidly exoensive bikes and whether we are in the way of traffic or not, general people get irritated just seeing hard core cyclists on the road (many don't think we have a right to be on the road) and in each host city some people get richer, but a bunch of people either get no piece of the economic upside while being inconvenienced....so there are always angry people, who are a byproduct of even a local triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As much as I’d love to qualify again, I miss the days of Kona being a 1 field mass start of the best. It was cool and hard not focused on accommodating anyone other than the best in their AG, gender etc.

Everyone out there started at the same time and it was a “race”.

I know with the amount of money now involved it will never go back to that. But it really was a special thing for everyone on the start line back in those days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
The “locals” have been angry for years haven’t they?
I hear the same thing about IM LP….

Locals in Hawai'i pretty much hate all tourists so I wouldn't think much of them hating Ironman too. Hawaii can't survive on agriculture alone though so they have put up with us
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got so much shit for this…..

Especially when I posted BEFORE KONA 22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do like the one day format. Prices were crazy for 2 days with all the extra people on the island, and it was so crowded!
Quote Reply
Re: IMWC 2023….. not approved for 2 days yet. [Letsbike13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorted: a one day format for Kona in 2023 (ProTriNews) - nice, but mere rumour, of course:
https://podcasts.apple.com/...ri-news/id1559781865
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Nov 30, 22 2:14
Quote Reply
Re: IMWC 2023….. not approved for 2 days yet. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still not confirmed yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
If IM has already promoted ‘23 as a double day event, I’ll put $1k it’ll be a double day irregardless if it’s been “officially” accepted right now.
Eta: I get it when the locals hate a race. I was at 70.3 Augusta having to listen to the locals bitch why this race was in the way. Like I get it. But I also get that the money these races brings is, it’s almost impossible to say no to. So when you say a race was close to going away but didn’t, I shoulder shrug.
Did anyone take you up on that bet, Brooks? Though I guess it's still a 'double day'.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWC 2023….. not approved for 2 days yet. [Timjr21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timjr21 wrote:
Still not confirmed yet?

It's been confirmed. IM sent out the emails
Quote Reply
Re: IMWC 2023….. not approved for 2 days yet. [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh oh, my email system is not working well. If IM sent out the emails, and I haven't received it yet, should I just contact them?
Quote Reply
Re: IMWC 2023….. not approved for 2 days yet. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately not, I guess just like the SL bet I made on the Kona race day thread that he would lose to LS (while leading the race).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply