Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How is your kid’s college application process going? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

Dude i know how they get there, but the statement is wrong, if I school offers a 5.0 for an AP class, then the scale is a 4.1 out of 5. (sorry math rules, cant get over 100%) I understand the common interpretation is 4.0 scale means a reg. A is a 4. And rescaling is better than truncated. I do know some schools do rescale GPA's. When my middle daughter was appling to lots of top end schools, I fell into researching what they do, it was interesting, some more open and honest about it then others. MIT was one of the very open ones. Also, open to yeah, we might not always get the best. Of course the top end schools have interviews and lots of other things to go by beyond grades, and test scores.

The x pts for 4 worked fine 25 yrs ago when 99% of the schools used a 4.0 grading system there were not nearly as many ap and IB classes out there. Our local high school, the top pts you get are 4.0 Doesn't matter if its AP, IB, Honors, or regular class, an a was 4.0. They did away with Validictorian as each class ends up with 20 or more 4.0 some took 10 ab/IB classes some took intro to math. I am pretty sure those 2 people would not score the same points for the 4.0 anymore.

No, it’s not out of 5.0 as the vast majority of kids don’t take AP or Honors classes. You kind of made the point, right? You don’t end up with 20 valedictorians when a weighted system is used. Also, as you well know, an A in general classes is not the same as an A in AP classes.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: How is your kid’s college application process going? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

Dude i know how they get there, but the statement is wrong, if I school offers a 5.0 for an AP class, then the scale is a 4.1 out of 5. (sorry math rules, cant get over 100%) I understand the common interpretation is 4.0 scale means a reg. A is a 4. And rescaling is better than truncated. I do know some schools do rescale GPA's. When my middle daughter was appling to lots of top end schools, I fell into researching what they do, it was interesting, some more open and honest about it then others. MIT was one of the very open ones. Also, open to yeah, we might not always get the best. Of course the top end schools have interviews and lots of other things to go by beyond grades, and test scores.

The x pts for 4 worked fine 25 yrs ago when 99% of the schools used a 4.0 grading system there were not nearly as many ap and IB classes out there. Our local high school, the top pts you get are 4.0 Doesn't matter if its AP, IB, Honors, or regular class, an a was 4.0. They did away with Validictorian as each class ends up with 20 or more 4.0 some took 10 ab/IB classes some took intro to math. I am pretty sure those 2 people would not score the same points for the 4.0 anymore.

No, it’s not out of 5.0 as the vast majority of kids don’t take AP or Honors classes. You kind of made the point, right? You don’t end up with 20 valedictorians when a weighted system is used. Also, as you well know, an A in general classes is not the same as an A in AP classes.

Sure but a student with a normal A but involved in school activities, a job and outside activities is different than a student with 4 AP classes. Many schools will look more favorably on the well rounded kid vs the only academic kid.
Quote Reply
Re: How is your kid’s college application process going? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
GMAN Jr. back from college today with a 4.0 fall semester.

FSU’s early decision went out to HS seniors last night. GMAN Jr.’s girlfriend did not get in. He had several friends apply and none of them got in either.

FSU said the average stats for those accepted was 4.45 GPA (out of 4.0), 1410 SAT, 31 ACT. That’s a combo of summer and fall ‘24 accepted students. Apparently the fall accepted averages were 4.7, 1430, 33. 😳

Even more cutthroat than last year. His GF had a 4.1 GPA and a 1300 SAT and will also graduate with her AA. She was flat out denied. Not deferred to the general admission pool for March decision. Just denied.

This seems odd to me. Most of the high shools around here a 4.0 is the highest you can get.. How does one get 4.45 out of 4.. Seems more like its 4.45 out of 5 or 4.5 (I am assuming a 4 A is not the highest possible pts, therefore its not out of 4 its out of what ever the highest possible pts for a class are) Anyhow.

What is a AA? Never heard of that

1300 out of a max score of 1600. while getting a 4.1 This just goes to one thing I decided long ago. College admissions people have a hard and possibly terrible job. With kids from around the country using different grade systems and different standards its hard to compare an 4.0 student to a 4.1 student (yes I know there have access to national databases which give then an idea of difficulty of high schools, so that helps) The standard test was suppose to be something that helped, but with that now viewed as the devils tool, some even going as far as to not require it, how do they make these decisions.

Wonder if I could volunteer at a local college or univ, to just help/observe the process I would find it fascinating.

I know they also look at the classes taken. So a 4.0 where your highest math was algebra 1 vs a 4.0 who took Calc2 would not be viewed the same.

I wonder if there is a chart that shows High school gpa vs act/sat score. I would not be surprised if correlation isn't great not cause the test is unfair (which is a whole nother conversation, even just from the access to money, tutors, repeated attempts etc.. )

Back on track.. I am surprised with a 4.1 they did not retake a 1300 score. Quick google, that's only 87th percentile, now maybe that was all they could get and goes to the quality of the high school, that they got a 4.1

As Scorpio pointed out: AP classes carry an extra point weight and Honors carries .5. So an A in AP is a 5.0 and a A in Honors is 4.5.

AA is an associates degree. She was doing dual enrollment in high school and community college.

Usually you state that as a 4.45 out of 5.0 or 4.45 weighted. Everyone knows that if it is above a 4.0 its a weighted grade. Or I've always seen it stated that way.
Quote Reply
Re: How is your kid’s college application process going? [LacticacidMCB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LacticacidMCB wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

FSU’s early decision went out to HS seniors last night. GMAN Jr.’s girlfriend did not get in. He had several friends apply and none of them got in either.

FSU said the average stats for those accepted was 4.45 GPA (out of 4.0), 1410 SAT, 31 ACT. That’s a combo of summer and fall ‘24 accepted students. Apparently the fall accepted averages were 4.7, 1430, 33. 😳

Even more cutthroat than last year. His GF had a 4.1 GPA and a 1300 SAT and will also graduate with her AA. She was flat out denied. Not deferred to the general admission pool for March decision. Just denied.

This seems odd to me. Most of the high shools around here a 4.0 is the highest you can get.. How does one get 4.45 out of 4.. Seems more like its 4.45 out of 5 or 4.5 (I am assuming a 4 A is not the highest possible pts, therefore its not out of 4 its out of what ever the highest possible pts for a class are) Anyhow.

What is a AA? Never heard of that

1300 out of a max score of 1600. while getting a 4.1 This just goes to one thing I decided long ago. College admissions people have a hard and possibly terrible job. With kids from around the country using different grade systems and different standards its hard to compare an 4.0 student to a 4.1 student (yes I know there have access to national databases which give then an idea of difficulty of high schools, so that helps) The standard test was suppose to be something that helped, but with that now viewed as the devils tool, some even going as far as to not require it, how do they make these decisions.

Wonder if I could volunteer at a local college or univ, to just help/observe the process I would find it fascinating.

I know they also look at the classes taken. So a 4.0 where your highest math was algebra 1 vs a 4.0 who took Calc2 would not be viewed the same.

I wonder if there is a chart that shows High school gpa vs act/sat score. I would not be surprised if correlation isn't great not cause the test is unfair (which is a whole nother conversation, even just from the access to money, tutors, repeated attempts etc.. )

Back on track.. I am surprised with a 4.1 they did not retake a 1300 score. Quick google, that's only 87th percentile, now maybe that was all they could get and goes to the quality of the high school, that they got a 4.1

As Scorpio pointed out: AP classes carry an extra point weight and Honors carries .5. So an A in AP is a 5.0 and a A in Honors is 4.5.

AA is an associates degree. She was doing dual enrollment in high school and community college.

Usually you state that as a 4.45 out of 5.0 or 4.45 weighted. Everyone knows that if it is above a 4.0 its a weighted grade. Or I've always seen it stated that way.

Also many schools don't take above 4.0 into account for admissions. The student will get benefit of college credits if they score well on the AP test, but it may not figure into admissions. The reason for this is that not all schools are the same. For instance here in CO, my wife tutors kids from all over. And what they call AP Trig/Calc at several schools would qualify for Algebra 2 at my daughters school. Colleges recognize this so don't always care about AP. Especially if the kid gets an A in the AP class but doesn't score well on the AP test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh and I thought I would add that my daughter did just recently get accepted to University of Denver and also received a significant amount of scholarship money (over half her tuition). So we are super excited. She will start studies next fall in their legal studies program (think pre-law).
Quote Reply
Re: How is your kid’s college application process going? [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
Also many schools don't take above 4.0 into account for admissions. The student will get benefit of college credits if they score well on the AP test, but it may not figure into admissions. The reason for this is that not all schools are the same. For instance here in CO, my wife tutors kids from all over. And what they call AP Trig/Calc at several schools would qualify for Algebra 2 at my daughter’s school. Colleges recognize this so don't always care about AP. Especially if the kid gets an A in the AP class but doesn't score well on the AP test.

Both UF and FSU recalc the kid’s HS grades for that reason since not all high schools use the same grading system. So Dave’s example above the HS might have a max grade of 4.0 but UF/FSU might give them a 4.5 with their recalc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kid 2 got into FSU yesterday. As you can tell from my user name it’s not her first choice, but they did offer her a nice scholarship to sweeten the pot and make her think about it. FSU admissions is getting tougher and tougher. Kid2 even applied summer term just to increase her chance.
Quote Reply
Re: How is your kid’s college application process going? [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

How serious was the relationship w/the girlfriend? And how's the kid taking the GF not getting in?
On the one hand that sucks for them. On the other hand, may be a good thing to be free to see others? (especially at that age).

Twist to the story. The GF just got accepted into FSU as a transfer because of the AA. We really like her and they seem to be a good couple but not sure how I feel about this. I liked the thought of her being a few hours away better. :-)

Last edited by: The GMAN: Apr 4, 24 15:17
Quote Reply

Prev Next