Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Zwift Tablet(s) vs Laptop
Quote | Reply
Contemplating purchase a Dell Alienware. Frankly, half of me doesn't want another laptop at this moment. Although, I guess I could benefit from one when my current laptop poops out. It runs Zwift mostly fine....

But, before I do so, wondering, if maybe a tablet might work better. I've noticed a bunch of Zwift pain caves with tablets...

Any good ones to recommend that don't cost $$$$????

Also, how would those with Alienware comps rec them?

Thanks,
Chris

Running is the best source of fiber that I know of...
Quote Reply
Re: Best Zwift Tablet(s) vs Laptop [TriChris14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve had excellent performance with recent and current iPads connected to a large monitor for display. For the past year, I’ve been using Apple TV,which has been flawless. Not that this is the only instance that I use Apple products, so I’m not one of their fanboys :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say look at a gaming desktop PC or an Apple TV. Especially if you don’t need mobility of “another laptop”. I went the used gaming desktop route and don’t regret it. I’ve heard a lot of complaints about the ATV remote but maybe a resolution has been reached on that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also looking for suggestions for a budget tablet (android) . I have no room at home for larger devices, and I would also take the tablet to the gym when running on the treadmil
Quote Reply
Re: Best Zwift Tablet(s) vs Laptop [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
I would say look at a gaming desktop PC or an Apple TV. Especially if you don’t need mobility of “another laptop”. I went the used gaming desktop route and don’t regret it. I’ve heard a lot of complaints about the ATV remote but maybe a resolution has been reached on that?

Both me and my wife use separate apple TV's so we can zwift together and just for convenience. We like them apart from the remote as you point out. Last night we turned them on and there is a new Zwift interface on the ATV that is much easier to navigate with the remote than the old interface was. It took a bit of getting used to but we were able to navigate pace partners, workouts and events really well. So I would say the ATV remote is not the pain in the ass it used to be.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to echo everyone and recommend an Apple TV 4K. Cheap, and runs Zwift well. In theory less powerful than a gaming PC, but more polished, reliable, and OS/driver/app updates are less clunky than a PC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not trying to hijack but just throwing this out there since it doesn't really need a whole thread on it (I could be wrong!). What would be the best option for trainerroad? I've gotten a smart trainer and I'm brand new to all of it. Don't really need the racing aspect of Zwift, I'm happy to have a ride I can do while I watch Band of Brothers for the 212th time.

Any suggestions for hardware for TR?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PC with a big screen.... Also gives you the option of splitting screen for less intense rides, so you have a small bit of Zwift on part of the screen, and something to watch via YouTube or whatever underneath.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when i was using zwift i had both setups, older alienware laptop going to a 42" tv, or ipad depending where i was. i think my older laptop had a 1000 series gtx 1070 gpu, and it pushed zwift just fine with all the graphics turned all the way up. you dont need a really high end gpu in your laptop for zwift, it just doesnt demand that much.

laptop and tv... for my setup i had the laptop on a shelf, had to get a usb extension cable for the bluetooth receiver, laptop wasnt seeing my hr strap at the distance i was from the bike. i had to buy an external bluetooth keyboard / mouse combo to control zwift. setup worked well.

using even an older ipad it still worked ok, but i will say i despise with a passion how you have manually bump up or down the resistance in ERG mode with the stupid small up down touch targets.

i think depending on your use case either would work well.

lastly, i hate zwift and dont use it anymore. :-)

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Best Zwift Tablet(s) vs Laptop [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
I'm not trying to hijack but just throwing this out there since it doesn't really need a whole thread on it (I could be wrong!). What would be the best option for trainerroad? I've gotten a smart trainer and I'm brand new to all of it. Don't really need the racing aspect of Zwift, I'm happy to have a ride I can do while I watch Band of Brothers for the 212th time.

Any suggestions for hardware for TR?

TR will run on anything. If I'm watching Netflix and doing a lower intensity endurance ride I'll run it off my phone, for harder workouts I use my phone for Spotify and use the bigger laptop screen for TR.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Best Zwift Tablet(s) vs Laptop [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much anything works for TR. Not a lot of graphics to worry about (I'd argue the same for Zwift). I typically use an i-pad or my phone. If I want to see it larger, I cast it to my AppleTv.

For Zwift, when I used it, I did so with AppleTV or the i-Pad with no real issues.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Best Zwift Tablet(s) vs Laptop [Stva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Didn't even think about that route. Might consider it...

Running is the best source of fiber that I know of...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Galaxy tab S6 lite and it is just fine. I guess it is one of the cheapest new tablet you get get to run it.

great to set in front of the treadmill, but I prefer a bigger screen (TV) connected to a laptop for the bike.
Last edited by: zambony: Sep 29, 22 5:01
Quote Reply
Re: Best Zwift Tablet(s) vs Laptop [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
Also looking for suggestions for a budget tablet (android) . I have no room at home for larger devices, and I would also take the tablet to the gym when running on the treadmil

I love my Samsung Tab S6 because it has both ANT+ and Bluetooth. There's an S7 and maybe even an S8. I also take it to the treadmill and it's a very convenient form factor.

For my it always loads faster than on a non gaming laptop.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Zwift Tablet(s) vs Laptop [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did find an old windows tablet in my desk drawer today. Gonna see if that will run TrainerRoad, if so, I’ll Velcro it to the wall so I can use my laptop for other things.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Best Zwift Tablet(s) vs Laptop [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I did find an old windows tablet in my desk drawer today. Gonna see if that will run TrainerRoad, if so, I’ll Velcro it to the wall so I can use my laptop for other things.

This might be a stretch. I’ve tried some of the Surface Go tablets, which were slow and buggy with Zwift
Quote Reply