Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell (climbing competition; spectator report)
Quote | Reply
trigger warning: mention of Other Forum Things

I had an awesome past few days with my brother and his friend at Horseshoe Canyon Ranch while they did the 24HHH. If anyone is interested here's my report; my heart is pretty full from the family time. Here's the timeline and highlights. The guys have a pretty good sense of humor so some of this is the jokes. Ian is my brother, Rico's the friend.

tl;dr: did some team mom-ing for my brother and his friend, had a blast hanging out and taking care of them while they did their thing. If you like climbing, 24HHH is a must-do, and that recommendation is from someone who doesn't climb much... great atmosphere, super fun.

Tuesday
5:30 pm: leave Stillwater, drive to Tulsa, get ice cream from "microcreamery" (was so good), drive to hotel. Sleep about 3.5 hrs til...
1 am: collect Ian and Rico at airport, had parked car and waited in airport w sign that said "IAN AND RICO" all fancy-like. (hadn't met Rico before but I do this sign every time Ian flies in). Rico thinks sign is funny.
1:30 am: arrive at hotel after stopping to get gatorade, Perrier, and beer from a convenience store that locks its doors at night but will sell stuff via the sort of contraption you use for drive-thru banking. Sleep 3.25 hrs

Wednesday
4:45 am: get up and go to pool, swim 5100 yds
8:45 am: get back to hotel, find boys still sleeping (unsurprising), eat complimentary breakfast enough for two and make a sandwich for lunch on the road; decide I have gotten my money's worth for the three complimentary breakfasts we were allotted. Do some work while boys sleep.
11 am: leave hotel, drive to airport hoping to get rental car as mine is really old and has some maintenance issues. Learn that rental cars need to be booked ahead of time. Whoops. Stop at grocery store for provisions.
noon: drive the 3+ hours to Air B&B in Jasper, AR. Rico, worried about noises car is making, says he is considering putting his helmet on in car. Toss stuff in air b&b, drive 15 min to the ranch.
5-7:30 pm: scout one of the cliffs, climb two routes (1.5 for me, second one was too hard). Drive back to air b&B.
8 pm: I make PB sandwich for dinner. Boys get Subway. Subway is the only restaurant open in Jasper (and one of its only restaurants - there is a small diner, and a bistro that appears to be seasonal). Sleep like a rock, on sleeping pad and sleeping bag so boys can have bed and futon.

Thursday
7:45 am: finally crawl out of bed, go to senior center wellness fitness room (I like to run on the treadmill) and run 7.5 miles. Had gym entirely to myself.
11:00 am: boys realize they don't have a good bin for their cache (food/gear stockpile). Hit up the farm store for a 5 gallon bucket. Feed store does not have them, but they have grain bins. Purchase grain bin. Fill with the food and gear. Drive to ranch.
noon: clinic for first timers. Guy goes on and on about the linear regression he ran with his data from last year of feet/min and difficulty grade. Consider asking what the R^2 value is, and if he considered any ANOVA models to take in other variables, but am unsure if these questions would embarrass my brother, so keep mouth shut.
1 pm: stash cache. I get teased when I ask if I can switch sides with my brother, "haven't you been doing farmers carries at the gym?". Spend the rest of the afternoon scouting more routes. There are basically two (giant) areas: the North 40 and the East Side. The 12 hour competition is going on during this. We see Hans Florine. Ask Rico if I should ask for an autograph. Rico asks if I have his book. I don't, so I skip the autograph. Ian gets very bad haircut. (free bad haircuts are part of this thing, as are tattoos). This is probably not what his girlfriend has been after when wanting him to get his hair cut.
7 pm: grill pizzas on little Weber charcoal grill. Go to bed. Sleep like a rock.

Friday
5:00 am: wake up, run 7.6 mi at wellness center, streaming the Friday Morning Joke Off on a radio show from home (Maine).
8:00 am: Ian and I eat yogurt for breakfast. Rico eats a sandwich with pepperjack cheese, garlic hummus, and hot sauce on cheddar-jalapeno bread.
8:15 am: drive boys to ranch, competition supposed to start at 10, pre-comp meeting supposed to start at 9.
9:30 am: pre-comp meeting starts. Event director says "if you can be yourself no where else in the world, be yourself here." I LOVE this. Roll Call is taken in which they call team names. Team names are nearly all inappropriate ("I cam in my pants" and the like, very funny)Teams can take a couple seconds to say something. Example: Daddy Daughter Dance dad says "I never took her to a daddy daughter dance, so I brought her to hell." Whole thing very amusing. When this ends, something perhaps best described as a Roman re-enactment occurs. One climber, ice axe for staff, bare-chested and in pants and a crown, is carried in on a wood throne, held on the shoulders of 8 climbers. Roman God Climber has a (fake) whip, which he pretend-whips a ninth guy who is leading the whole endeavor, and is tied to Roman God via a leash around 9th guy's neck.
9:55 am: Roman God Climber recites ode with information in code about not littering, making sure to poop in wag bags and not the woods, etc.
10:10 am: shotgun start. Follow boys into crag.
10:30 am - 7:15 pm: log the boys' climbs on the app (this is allowed). Admire eye candy backs/arms/shoulders. Thank volunteers as much as possible. Eat snacks. Try to shoot photos - and video. Video is hard because nearly every time the boys say something my parents don't want to hear. Example: Rico gets halfway up a pitch while Ian is trying to un-tangle the rope. Rico "ever belayed before?" Ian: "I'm trying to un-f*** the rope!"
7:15 pm: dusk, wish the boys a good night. I head to the air b&b. Sleep like a rock, in the bed :-)

Saturday
5:00 am: wake up, run 4 miles at wellness center. Cannot go to boys until daylight, as we forgot a headlamp and/or flashlight for me.
7:45 am: locate boys on other crag. Greet them by asking how they slept. Not sure they find this funny, but they look okay and say they are feeling okay. I reel out my collection of signs (see other thread). Rico laughs at "it's quickdraw, not slowdraw." Take over the logging of stuff on app.
9 am: Ian's girlfriend texts. Ask if he wants me to read it aloud to the group (we're near 2 other climbers). Get an unamused "no, Allison." oooo tired cranky brother.
9:55 am: Rico gets on, and finishes, the last pitch of the comp for them.
10 am: shotgun signals end. I pull the rope and we hike out of one edge of the canyon, then back to the other to collect the cache. I find a FOSSIL! It is in a big rock so I can't take it home. Boys refuse to let me help carry cache, which I understand, and admire.
11:00 am Boys each have one beer and ask to go nap. We drive back to air b&B. Boys both nap; I am exhausted but can't fall asleep so I read.
3:40 pm: get subway, drive back to ranch for awards and party
5:00 pm: watch cycle barrel racing, participate in footrace barrel racing and come in embarrassingly second to last... get beat by girl w beer in her hand. But, am proud of self for participating. Watch awards. Boys each get a sticker that says "mile high club" because they each climbed over a vertical mile. Shirts with slogan will follow in the mail. Rico says he hasn't bought a shirt in 15 years because he just gets them at stuff like this. (note: Rico is a professional climbing guide; his work attire is t shirt). They also each get a horseshoe for climbing a pitch every hour. Boys drink free beer.
7:00 pm: hanging out; I tell them that I now understand why the party start time was marked for 7:30 pm, "because that's when it gets dark." Rico says "she's getting it!"
8:00 pm: boys ask to go back to air b and b after party is barely started. I am secretly grateful as I was tired and partying isn't my thing. We hit the dollar store on the way back (Rico needed something). Go to bed, sleep mostly okay ish.

Sunday
5:30 am: wake up, run 10.35 mi, walk a km, do some hip exercises
9 am: pack up from air b&B
10:30: drive back to Tulsa. Boys discuss their competition; Ian naps; Rico streams a football game. We go to a brewery to kill some time before their flight, and watch more football. I order a garden salad "without the bacon." I'm a vegetarian - the "garden salad" in OK nearly always comes w/ bacon. (deep sigh)
4:45 pm: get to airport, walk in w boys (who check the feed bin, full of some of their stuff, as carryon luggage. They like the feed bin). Get hugs, watch them go through security (my parents always park the car, walk me into the airport, and watch me til they can't see me anymore... it is super sweet and yeah there's something about that just a few more min of laying eyes on your loved ones that I like)
5:10 pm: drive back to Stillwater. Feel grateful car made it.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Sep 25, 22 17:59
Quote Reply
Re: 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell (climbing competition; spectator report) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s awesome! I hope my climbers grab more jugs made an appearance.

I need to look up that Friday morning joke show! What station?
Last edited by: Triocd: Sep 25, 22 18:10
Quote Reply
Re: 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell (climbing competition; spectator report) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great time. I used to climb a bit with Hans in my Yosemite days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed the report, thanks!

"Rico gets halfway up a pitch while Ian is trying to un-tangle the rope. Rico "ever belayed before?" Ian: "I'm trying to un-f*** the rope!""

Tell your brother that the proper response to that question is "No, just read about it."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent report! 💙
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report!

Congrats to your brother and friend. And to you for being such a great support crew.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a fun trip.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell (climbing competition; spectator report) [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Great report!

Congrats to your brother and friend. And to you for being such a great support crew.

I adore my brother, so perhaps it's no surprise that I had a lot of fun doing the mom-ing, but I am really proud of myself for taking such good care of them. The trip was a little out of my comfort zone (having the wellness center to go to helped me self-care wise a ton; I probably wouldn't have been in such a good mood all weekend without that as a grounding thing... I like my meditative treadmill monotony). But my goal going into it was 'this is their weekend, I am going to put them first and not bitch if I get tired or whatnot, I will adjust to what they want to do' and I totally met that goal. My other goal was just to be present and enjoy it (read: not do any work while I could be hanging out enjoying family time) and I met that goal too. I have a bad habit of doing things like "read this paper I have to review while in the car" and I am glad I did none of that. :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell (climbing competition; spectator report) [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I need to look up that Friday morning joke show! What station?

WTOS FM, 105.1 out of Maine

their M-F show from 6-10 am is awesome anyway (best content 6-9 am) but Friday morning the Joke Off starts around 7:25 am. The weather report guy (Meterological Mad Man Russ Murley) leads off with a joke, then people call in. Most of the jokes are inappropriate (though they're on an annoying kick of dad jokes with the start of school... I hope that ends soon) which is the appeal for me, LOL.

LMK if you listen to it!

Quote Reply
Re: 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell (climbing competition; spectator report) [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Cool!

Ian and Rico were near he and his partner in the nighttime part. Rico said Hans had a good sense of humor. Apparently he offered the two of them a shot of fireball (they declined). Rico was surprised that, amidst other music, Hans had motivational stuff with lyrics like "you were built for this" and so on.

Sounds like Hans is coming back from a major fall with a very serious broken leg.

Quote Reply
Re: 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell (climbing competition; spectator report) [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I enjoyed the report, thanks!

"Rico gets halfway up a pitch while Ian is trying to un-tangle the rope. Rico "ever belayed before?" Ian: "I'm trying to un-f*** the rope!""

Tell your brother that the proper response to that question is "No, just read about it."

:-)

Quote Reply
Re: 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell (climbing competition; spectator report) [Barks&Purrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Excellent report! 💙

The trick today, feeling a little sad that the fun is over and my brother is gone, is going to be more self-care... busy workday should help with that a bit (I like busy) and let myself feel the post-event feels. Note to self to write in journal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting TC!

- That's a really cool event and a really fun vibe. More (or all) events need to be like that and stop taking themselves so seriously.
- That quip by the event director about being yourself is awesome.
- Interested in the Joke Off radio show as well. Thanks for providing the info.
- The relationship and banter between you and your brother is adorable.
- That was a lot of treadmill miles, and I think all of us here understand the grounding effects of exercise. But still, that was a lot of treadmill miles. Respect.
- Did you take a picture of the fossil?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Sounds like Hans is coming back from a major fall with a very serious broken leg.

Almost, he's coming back from 2 broken legs. Took a pretty bad fall on el cap in 2018, about the time Alex and Tommy were crushing the speed record. I think it might even be in the doc on the event. Glad to hear he's out having fun at 24hhh.
Quote Reply
Re: 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell (climbing competition; spectator report) [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apparently there's a doc about 24HHH that I now need to watch

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suppose I should clarify. The doc I I was referring to was the new el cap nose speed record. There is a doc on 24hhh the year alex honnold competed. Both are worth the time to watch. Both might require a temporary subscription to the reel rock channel.
Quote Reply
Re: 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell (climbing competition; spectator report) [noodle_soup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did get a pic of the fossil,

yeah, loved the quote about being yourself - best touchy feely line of the weekend.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice write up and thanks for posting.

Congrats extended to 'the boys' for completing the event.

Congrats to you for meeting your goals for the trip - perhaps equally as impressive.

I had to go back and re-read; I had thought you swam 5100 yards in a hotel pool! That would have been an astonishing.

The best part of this trip is the shared experiences with family and the stories that will be told and re-told for decades to come. Your car is an essential part of those stories. A rental would have been so boring - rewatch "Little Miss Sunshine" if needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

Cool!

Ian and Rico were near he and his partner in the nighttime part. Rico said Hans had a good sense of humor. Apparently he offered the two of them a shot of fireball (they declined). Rico was surprised that, amidst other music, Hans had motivational stuff with lyrics like "you were built for this" and so on.

Hans is the most motivating climbing partner I have ever had. He has so much positive energy. When at a tough move, I’ve had tons of partners yell encouragement, but it often comes across as hollow. But, at the somewhat runout crux of one of the hardest climbs I’ve done, he yelled just the right thing and I put fear and doubt aside and punched it through. Just barely.
Quote Reply
Re: 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell (climbing competition; spectator report) [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's cool.

I've discovered youtube has a short movie called "The 24" about 24HHH which I am in the middle of and am liking.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I also found a couple of clips of the climbers' pledge and videos of the event. Super cool.
Quote Reply