Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which IM and 70.3 have the most forgiving run course?
Quote | Reply
I’m 67, last tri was IM Wisconsin 7 years ago. Since then I’ve had knee surgery to remove loose cartilage 2 and a half years ago. I walk 4-5 miles daily, bike about 100 miles a week, now running 2 miles 3 times a week on trails. As I recall, IM Wisconsin was about half on concrete and probably the last straw as I started having problems with the knee locking right after the race. Looking to train for a 70.3 in a year and full IM at 2 years if my knees hold up (so far no pain or issues since surgery).
So, which half and full are the easiest on the knees?
Quote Reply
Re: Which IM and 70.3 have the most forgiving run course? [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gulf Coast 70.3 and Augusta 70.3 are pancake flat, if that’s what you’re looking for. The heat can destroy you, and it’s all on pavement, but both of these run courses are very easy.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Which IM and 70.3 have the most forgiving run course? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ever consider giving an Xterra long course triathlon a go? Trail running would be easier on the legs for sure.

The AC 70.3 has more than 10 miles of the course are on the wooden board walk beach side which is very forgiving from an impact perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Which IM and 70.3 have the most forgiving run course? [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not Steelhead, that much I know !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's gotta be gulf coast. Aside from the bridge leaving transition and the bridge to the finishline there are no hills and lots of support. Gulf Coast even has a little shade depending on the time you hit the run.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Which IM and 70.3 have the most forgiving run course? [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shade? Where did you manage to locate that? Lol

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Which IM and 70.3 have the most forgiving run course? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's some in that back stretch by the water park

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Which IM and 70.3 have the most forgiving run course? [ReasonableRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ReasonableRob wrote:
Ever consider giving an Xterra long course triathlon a go? Trail running would be easier on the legs for sure.

The AC 70.3 has more than 10 miles of the course are on the wooden board walk beach side which is very forgiving from an impact perspective.

The boardwalk is forgiving but can get hot. The looped bike on the highway with cars is less than ideal. That said, if you are focused on a low impact run, then you may be able to overlook the bike. Fwiw, I think the swim is above average.
Quote Reply
Re: Which IM and 70.3 have the most forgiving run course? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Galveston is pancake flat. Only issue for knees is that you're turning corners every hundred yards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70.3 MI in frankfort. flattest run in long course that i've done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oregon 70.3 was about as flat as it gets. Decent shade too. The downriver swim probably saves a bit of energy too.
Quote Reply
Re: Which IM and 70.3 have the most forgiving run course? [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both Oregon and Washington 70.3's are flat and shaded. Washington has a little bit of false flat, but you make it up after the turn around.