Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona 2022 swim waves etiquette
Quote | Reply
Being a male M60 I am sandwiched between the M65+ and W55+ (in front of me) and M50 and M25 (behind me).

I am very surprised about the sequence of the waves, it would have been way better to have the M50 and M25 in front of me, and the M65+ and W55+ behind me.

Me myself a BOP swimmer (1.25' in 2019), expect at least after the turning point the majority of M50 and M25 overtaking me. On the other hand, I expect to have to overtake a considerable amount of the M65+ and W55+.

I thus wonder about the swim etiquette.
Keep right, pass left? No idea.
Maybe someone of Ironman reads this here and works out some advice which can then be conveyed at the race briefing.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Sep 27, 22 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2022 swim waves etiquette [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also M60 . . . I have done many many wave races, in all different orders, and I'm sure so has most of the starting field. I am a FOP swimmer and I most times just have to swim through people in front of me as polite as I can. I'm not sure how this is any different. What kind of answer are you looking for?

As far as order of the waves, I'm sure that this was very strategic both from a potential drafting point of view as well not putting the oldest people way at the back and extending the finish line time. Also note that there is a 25 min and b/n the W55 and M65.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Sep 27, 22 12:15
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2022 swim waves etiquette [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would treat it like any other race - play it by ear. Just pass on the side where there is room and do your best not to get tangled up with the person next to you. Sometimes you gotta make sure you keep your arms tight in during the recovery. Also, realize if some does make contact with you, they are not doing it on purpose.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
VeloVetta is developing AERO cycling shoes with CFD and wind tunnel testing.
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2022 swim waves etiquette [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking the same thing.

I don't get the swim waves. They did the same thing at the IM70.3 WC at StG. I was in the M50-54 and had the group (or 2) after us was like M25-29 and all I can say is that group overtook us just after the midway point and they had no idea how to swim around us and instead swam over us. Fast and completely lacked the skill to overtake properly. It was just brute strength that left me broken goggles and a bloody nose. Not impressed with that at all and it completely wrecked my final 800 meters or so. To this day, I still don't understand how they came up with the swim waves. Why wouldn't you do them in order of average AG swim pace from fastest to slowest?

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2022 swim waves etiquette [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why wouldn't you do them in order of average AG swim pace from fastest to slowest?//


That's an easy one, they dont want the slowest folks to get onto the course dead last, and then hold up the entire race until the finish line..


Believe it or not, there is some thought that goes into the wave orders. And it is not always about the swim, but what is going to happen later on the bike, different speeds that easily just pass each other, rather than bunch up. And then to the actual finish times, and keeping the slowest and oldest from the worst parts of the day. And every wave has fast and slow swimmers, so there is going to be passing no matter what order you install. Just keep you head looking forward, and pass either side, which ever is clear and easiest for you...

Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2022 swim waves etiquette [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly the case but sometimes the swim needs to be factored in. The inaugural Syracuse 70.3 had the M40-44 waves slotted right behind the two oldest female age groups. I was in the first M40-44 wave and we caught the groups in front of us pretty quick. These poor women spent most of their swim getting swamped by the M40-44 groups.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | TriRig | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2022 swim waves etiquette [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Also note that there is a 25 min and b/n the W55 and M65.

Thanks I had not noticed that (I had read 5 minutes between every wave, but there is indeed that bigger gap).
Thanks also to the other responders for their thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2022 swim waves etiquette [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be fun being in the same wave with you. My swim and bike are in very good shape. I have struggled with some running injuries for the past few months, so they might need to time with me with the calendar. Be sure to say hello if you see me :-)

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2022 swim waves etiquette [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
It will be fun being in the same wave with you. My swim and bike are in very good shape. I have struggled with some running injuries for the past few months, so they might need to time with me with the calendar. Be sure to say hello if you see me :-)

Well at least a "hello" from here, and I wish you a good race.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2022 swim waves etiquette [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Being a male M60 I am sandwiched between the M65+ and W55+ (in front of me) and M50 and M25 (behind me).

I am very surprised about the sequence of the waves, it would have been way better to have the M50 and M25 in front of me, and the M65+ and W55+ behind me.

Me myself a BOP swimmer (1.25' in 2019), expect at least after the turning point the majority of M50 and M25 overtaking me. On the other hand, I expect to have to overtake a considerable amount of the M65+ and W55+.

I thus wonder about the swim etiquette.
Keep right, pass left? No idea.
Maybe someone of Ironman reads this here and works out some advice which can then be conveyed at the race briefing.

I thought the races were going to be all women on Thursday and all men on Saturday?? If not, who is on which date??? I searched the Kona IM web site and could not find this seemingly important info. :)


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2022 swim waves etiquette [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
Being a male M60 I am sandwiched between the M65+ and W55+ (in front of me) and M50 and M25 (behind me).

I am very surprised about the sequence of the waves, it would have been way better to have the M50 and M25 in front of me, and the M65+ and W55+ behind me.

Me myself a BOP swimmer (1.25' in 2019), expect at least after the turning point the majority of M50 and M25 overtaking me. On the other hand, I expect to have to overtake a considerable amount of the M65+ and W55+.

I thus wonder about the swim etiquette.
Keep right, pass left? No idea.
Maybe someone of Ironman reads this here and works out some advice which can then be conveyed at the race briefing.

I thought the races were going to be all women on Thursday and all men on Saturday?? If not, who is on which date??? I searched the Kona IM web site and could not find this seemingly important info. :)

https://cdn1.sportngin.com/..._IMWC_Swim_Waves.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2022 swim waves etiquette [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s literally on the swim waves page…

I am 50-54 and go off at 7:25 Thursday

Next year will be completely separate.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2022 swim waves etiquette [Sbernardi, longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
It’s literally on the swim waves page…
I am 50-54 and go off at 7:25 Thursday
Next year will be completely separate.

Ah, I see now, thanks to you both!!!


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply