Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

weekend plans thread - Sept. 24/25
Quote | Reply
I'm in Jasper, AR at Horseshoe Canyon Ranch, where my brother and his friend are 10 hours into a 24 hour climbing competition. The ranch has horses and goats (it's a "working ranch" but kinda for vacationers and hiking and climbing). We'll be there all day tomorrow, drive back to OK Sunday. I'm having a blast and loving the family time!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: weekend plans thread - Sept. 24/25 [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds awesome! Glad you are having a fun weekend!! I’m off this weekend so having a quiet one with hubby and friends. My sunflowers are looking pretty ragged so I think it’s time to chop them down. It’s the last weekend for the Farmers market and there is a Busker festival so that might be fun to watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a blast.

One of our dogs hurt her front left leg yesterday, wouldn't put any weight on it, no obvious signs of injury and she let me feel and manipulate around her foot, ankle, elbow, shoulder without signs of distress. I called the vet, of course no openings, they said give her over night and if no improvement to call this morning. Well last night the forearm/elbow area finally started to swell and she's in obvious discomfort. I feel like a shit dad for not taking her to an emergency vet yesterday. I'll try our vet first thing this morning if no appointments, then she's going to the emergency vet.

We think she may have hurt herself jumping off my chair, just don't know. But the rest of my weekend will be doting on her.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m coming out of retirement to go for a bike ride with the dad today. Parents moved back and he hasn’t ridden since after riding 2-3 days/wk with a small group. He’s found new gym friends, golf friends, but not riding friends, mostly because he won’t ride on the roads. I even get to change his front tire for him as it somehow has a 4” bare spot like it was being dragged on the ground during the move. He’s probably been riding on it like that for years. In a possible twist of fate, the only reason he started riding was because I was riding so much and gave him one of my bikes. Maybe he’ll be the one to get me back in the saddle this time.

Horseshoe was developed after I hung up my boots. Heard nothing but great things about the place. Hope you all have great weather to enjoy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 months ago my RC club lost our club house to a fire, this weekend we started rebuilding.

Quote Reply
Re: weekend plans thread - Sept. 24/25 [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: weekend plans thread - Sept. 24/25 [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
One of our dogs hurt her front left leg yesterday, wouldn't put any weight on it, no obvious signs of injury and she let me feel and manipulate around her foot, ankle, elbow, shoulder without signs of distress. I called the vet, of course no openings, they said give her over night and if no improvement to call this morning. Well last night the forearm/elbow area finally started to swell and she's in obvious discomfort. I feel like a shit dad for not taking her to an emergency vet yesterday. I'll try our vet first thing this morning if no appointments, then she's going to the emergency vet.

We think she may have hurt herself jumping off my chair, just don't know. But the rest of my weekend will be doting on her.

One of my foster kittens had a tender paw/leg one night last week. I waited overnight and in the AM it was fine. You never know. Don't beat yourself up too much. I'm sure the dog doesn't hold it against you. I hope she's better soon.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ranch sounds like a really fun place to spend the weekend. I’m glad for you!

Tennis lessons this morning were great. A tennis lesson buddy told me about a place called Ashley Falls in Carmel Valley. She says the park there has a tennis wall. I plan to go there when it’s hot today.

We have a heat wave today, so my son’s marching band practice is cut short. My daughter did Saturday school to make up work from when she was sick. We’re going to the tailor to take care of some formal wear alterations.

The kids have friends coming over this evening, so I want them to tidy the house a little. I need to make a checklist for them.

I plan to sew & work.

There are so many fun things to do. I started watching Pret a Porter again last night for fun & the black jacket that the reporter wears at the beginning is actually the same Vogue design that I’m currently sewing. It has a uniquely jaggedy-jagged collar. Coincidence? I don’t think so. Ha ha!
Quote Reply
Re: weekend plans thread - Sept. 24/25 [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
6 months ago my RC club lost our club house to a fire, this weekend we started rebuilding.
that is super awesome!

i went to my FRI violin lesson and then came home to what i thought was going to be a calm weekend of football, beer and bourbon.

then my violin teacher texted me that she wanted me to consider being in the Christmas music recital.

Holy Crap! Now I'm stressed out. I'll be bowing Christmas music alongside a bunch of 9-13 yr old kids with helicopter moms like Carly Rae.

so now I'm watching SEC football and bowing Christmas songs.

ahhhh

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I slept over 10 hours last night. I guess I needed it.

Today I have three horses racing. One of them won her race. She’s just a baby (2 yo) but the jockey and trainer are very high on her and talking about her racing the first weekend of May next year, which would be so exciting. Second horse got caught up in traffic in his race, so he wasn’t able to run his race. The third one runs tonight. She is stepping up against better competition, plus racing at night under the lights at Churchill Downs where it will be a very large and boisterous crowd. It’s kind of like an age group or who’s been winning a lot of races jumps in a triathlon against pros. It’ll be a good test for her to see if she’s ready for that kind of competition or if she’s a lower level kind of gal.

This afternoon I went to a party, part football party, part housewarming party, and mostly for congratulations to my friend having the adoption of her grandniece and grandnephew becoming official. She’s been their official guardian for seven years, so it’s now official. Tonight I will watch my Kansas State Wildcats play Oklahoma. Tomorrow is more football, and probably yoga. And poem writing.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marcus King show in Madison tonight.
Quote Reply
Re: weekend plans thread - Sept. 24/25 [Helltrack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wife helped me split over 2 cords of firewood today.

I'm thinking I will sleep tomorrow.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: weekend plans thread - Sept. 24/25 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update for horse number three. She won! A major upset, winning a graded stakes which really ups her value in the future as a broodmare. She’s one I’ve actually got to meet in person.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: weekend plans thread - Sept. 24/25 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the after-party stuff at the climbing competition included cycling barrel racing. This was a thing I'd never seen before. It was amusing. I finally got the nerve to try it and they had cut off the number of participants to get to the climbing awards ceremony started.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling barrel racing sounds fun!

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years ago, my brothers, a friend and I went to the Sam's Throne area at Mt. Judea to do some climbing, but we were essentially rained out that week and never had the chance to go back.

As for this weekend, the wife and I went to the local food festival for dinner.
Quote Reply
Re: weekend plans thread - Sept. 24/25 [TMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the track all weekend driving. Beginner group. Thought I was doing okay based on the feedback from my instructor Friday. After my more critical instructor yesterday, not feeling as confidant I'll be in Formula 1 anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Re: weekend plans thread - Sept. 24/25 [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doggie update. We ended up taking her to the emergency vet at 6 AM yesterday. X-rays did not not show any fracture(s) thankfully. The doc said her elbow and ankle joints felt solid and doesn't believe there are any tendon or ligament tears. Just a good old fashion elbow sprain. They gave her methadone, which she wasn't too happy about and was pretty stoned most of the days. Now the fun part, keeping her corralled up and calm over the next 10 days to two weeks. She's also on a pain med and anti-inflammatory.

Here's our poor girl, stoned to the bejeezus belt.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Sep 25, 22 5:50
Quote Reply
Re: weekend plans thread - Sept. 24/25 [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
50+ wrote:

that is super awesome!

i went to my FRI violin lesson and then came home to what i thought was going to be a calm weekend of football, beer and bourbon.

then my violin teacher texted me that she wanted me to consider being in the Christmas music recital.

Holy Crap! Now I'm stressed out. I'll be bowing Christmas music alongside a bunch of 9-13 yr old kids with helicopter moms like Carly Rae.

so now I'm watching SEC football and bowing Christmas songs.

ahhhh

/r

Steve, I have a really really really really really really good idea for you for the Christmas recital. I want you to think LOTR —> violin —> Christmas. You need to know Lindsey Stirling. This could be you:

Here is more inspiration (that made me laugh):

What is stopping YOU from looking good, too? Obviously, you will not dress & dance around the Christmas recital like a woman. But a big white fake fur vest, leather arm protectors, and manly bowing would look fantastic and add a lot of excitement!
Quote Reply
Re: weekend plans thread - Sept. 24/25 [Barks&Purrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely no one is EVER going to mistake me for some woodland nymph. Nor will i ever play a violin that way. Perhaps Ken is your man in this regard?

Should lightening strike and give me some greater expertise than I'd expect with my remaining time to master this instrument

then

I would love to be able to play the theme music for 'Last of the Mohicans". I find this music very evocative. My struggles with 'Silent Night' give me new appreciation for this young lady's bowing & fingering expertise

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: weekend plans thread - Sept. 24/25 [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
she's pretty! How's she doing now?

Quote Reply
Re: weekend plans thread - Sept. 24/25 [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s a lovely song.

Here’s Joe Hisaishi for violin, but your teacher will need to accompany you on piano. You might like it?

Here’s another bit of inspiration:

My dad regularly performs. He sings opera and does theater stuff. My kids love LOVE to see grandpa perform. It really makes my kids wild with happiness to see grandpa on stage. I bet your grand baby will enjoy your Christmas recital! But he’s young, so you need some sparkle (literally) for him. Wear a festive sweater? Silver bells?
Quote Reply