Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slow folk on fast tires, questions
Quote | Reply
MOP AG. FTP is less than 180w and race around 140~150w ...never break 6 hours mark on the bike.
I run 25mm GP5000/Latex on all my wheels. I read somewhere that Corsa Speed could save 5w over GP5000. That sounds significant when compared to my output.

Question 1: Does anyone experience flat issues with CS(latex tube)?
Question 2: Is Corsa Speed wider than the same size GP5000?

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Slow folk on fast tires, questions [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Complete anecdote of course, but I've personally seen more races ruined by Corsa Speeds than any other tire. I'm a huge fan of the Michelin Power TT when using latex tubes. I've bought probably 4 pairs at this point and they've been practically flawless for me. Available in 23 and 25mm and historically, they've been cheaper than CS. A brief check right now makes them seem a bit more expensive than normal but I've never paid more than $50/tire. Still the fastest non tubeless tire available according to Aerocoach. I've found the width to be similar to the gp5000 when inflated on the same wheels. Maybe a hair wider.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Slow folk on fast tires, questions [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for thta input. what PSI do you run on power TT?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pressure will depend on your weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Slow folk on fast tires, questions [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
175 all in, rider and bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Complete anecdote of course, but I've personally seen more races ruined by Corsa Speeds than any other tire. I'm a huge fan of the Michelin Power TT when using latex tubes. I've bought probably 4 pairs at this point and they've been practically flawless for me. Available in 23 and 25mm and historically, they've been cheaper than CS. A brief check right now makes them seem a bit more expensive than normal but I've never paid more than $50/tire. Still the fastest non tubeless tire available according to Aerocoach. I've found the width to be similar to the gp5000 when inflated on the same wheels. Maybe a hair wider.

4 flats in 2 years with CS tubs. Although the first one I didn't use sealant and one of them I think might have just been a leaky valve. You pick them up and they feel soft as shit. If I was doing sprints and ODs I'd maybe use them or races that weren't important. Or on perfect roads. Otherwise I'd opt for something with more puncture protection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have them on most of my TT wheels and a set of race wheels for my road bike, The one exception is a set with Veloflex Records for A Races with smooth pavement.

I run them tuveless with the Silca sealent and I haven't had any problems, knock on wood.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rolling resistance savings is linear with weight and speed. If (for example) the 5W savings is for 50kph and a 190lbs system (bike plus rider), then then your savings would be ~50% as much. Still might be worth it (still >1%), but don't expect 5W.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Still the fastest non tubeless tire available according to Aerocoach.

Both the 23 and 25mm Veloflex Records are faster. And now there is a TLR Record as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Slow folk on fast tires, questions [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
realbdeal wrote:
Still the fastest non tubeless tire available according to Aerocoach.

Both the 23 and 25mm Veloflex Records are faster. And now there is a TLR Record as well.
Ah yeah valid, but way more expensive and significantly more fragile according to BRR. I have a set of the 23mm but the tread is so narrow I'm very hesitant to run them on actual pavement.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Slow folk on fast tires, questions [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Rolling resistance savings is linear with weight and speed.

True. Anybody know what the Aerocoach weight is? Their speed is 45km/hr. https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/...ling-resistance-data

On that chart, GP5000 is 27.2W and CS is 21.3W so 5.9W total.

Also good to remember that you won't be getting near those Crr numbers on the road. It's debatable whether the difference between tires will stay fixed or proportional... probably somewhere between. That will increase the difference.

There'd need to be some pretty extreme circumstances before I'd give up >5W due to tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Ah yeah valid, but way more expensive and significantly more fragile according to BRR.

I paid $38 for VFRs recently from Bike24 (+$20 flat rate shipping) so they aren't bad. They do have thinner tread and less puncture resistance (BRR), but the CS is basically the same as the Michelin TT in both of these measurements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
True. Anybody know what the Aerocoach weight is? Their speed is 45km/hr. https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/...ling-resistance-data

I'm curious about pressures as well. Are they inflating 23mm and 25mm tires to the same pressure or are they reducing the pressure in the 25mm tires relative to the 23mm tires to maintain a common air-spring rate/comfort level?
Quote Reply
Re: Slow folk on fast tires, questions [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. If only 2~3W, I will just keep using GP5000 with peace of mind.

Titanflexr wrote:
Rolling resistance savings is linear with weight and speed. If (for example) the 5W savings is for 50kph and a 190lbs system (bike plus rider), then then your savings would be ~50% as much. Still might be worth it (still >1%), but don't expect 5W.
Last edited by: uva0224: Sep 27, 22 8:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's probably over 5W difference though, unless you are light. ~0.25 mph.
Last edited by: rruff: Sep 27, 22 11:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I just go by BRR's report. It is 8.9(GP5000 latex) over 7.5(CS2.0 TLR) at 100psi ,18mph and 94lb per wheel.
These parameters are very close to mine. Guessing slow guy gets less benefit than fast guy...
Quote Reply
Re: Slow folk on fast tires, questions [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the CS for my next race and will run them TL with Stans sealant. Did you have any smaller punctures sealed on them in a race? I did some research and the reviews are very mixed by I also feel like that usually people come out and "complain" about products when they fail not when they work as indented for obvious reasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah yes, I used the Aerocoach data linked above which gives a much larger difference. I haven't tested the GP5000, so can't say. I like Conti tires, but doubt that their robust, thick tread, good grip, +vectran layer is going to perform that closely to super fast tires. Also note that the low Crr measured on rollers will not materialize on the road... it will be a lot higher.

Slow people actually get a bigger benefit in terms of speed and time, even though the "watts savings" is less. The slower you are the more rolling resistance is a greater % of your total resistance.
Quote Reply
Re: Slow folk on fast tires, questions [Tomaz021] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tomaz021 wrote:
I bought the CS for my next race and will run them TL with Stans sealant. Did you have any smaller punctures sealed on them in a race? I did some research and the reviews are very mixed by I also feel like that usually people come out and "complain" about products when they fail not when they work as indented for obvious reasons.

I have had really good luck with the Silca sealant. Every now and then I find some dried sealent on the sidewalls, so there has been some intrusion, but the tire sealed before I noticed anything.
Quote Reply