Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Deliberately Adding a Few Pounds for Cold and Open Water?
Quote | Reply
I've been on a modest diet, training for fall running races. I'm 6 feet tall, floating 166-168 lbs. Trying to get in the low 160s.

I also love open water swimming, but have noticed my general tolerance for cold declining as I get older. I'm considering letting the diet go, and letting my weight float back up a bit. I feel like this might help my swimming and my ability to stay warm.

Is this a bad idea?
Quote Reply
Re: Deliberately Adding a Few Pounds for Cold and Open Water? [MadPansy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you opposed to a wetsuit? I'm not sure how much a few extra pounds would add in terms of cold water support, but the only reason I wouldn't at least try it is if I was doing a lot of running and the combo of extra weight plus large mileage may cause some overuse injury if the body isn't used to that.
Quote Reply
Re: Deliberately Adding a Few Pounds for Cold and Open Water? [MadPansy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i mean, it's not a bad idea in theory - have a look at the physiques of people who swim the english channel. fat's buoyant, keeps you warm, and stores energy. win-win-win! some of the best swimmers i've ever known have been people who are able to keep a slightly high % of body fat even when they're training at elite levels. it's a gift!

but: in practice, it's a bit more tricky. like, how often do you swim open-water, and how cold is it, really? do you have wetsuit options? and if you're also a triathlete, what's the performance penalty for your running and cycling that you're willing to tolerate?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#BioPrene

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am just a slow BOP/BOMP guy, but I would recommend against it. I’m your exact same height and weight, but I have traditionally struggled to keep weight off. If I gave myself an excuse to add weight, I’d probably eat like a monster and add 20 lbs.

Dress warmer outside and wear a wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Castelli Gabba for cycling (and I also rate their arm warmers too), for cycling and then a thermal wetsuit (I rate the Huub for NZ conditions, there's an Orca that is even more warming IIRC) coupled with a neoprene cap.

As mentioned, there is the risk, especially as we get older, more weight adds more strain and then keeping weight on may not be a worry.

Using quality specific clothing to counter the cold is going to be way more efficient and better for you than trying to use skin fat as an insulator.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, one of the guys I know (really a rock climber at heart) got seriously into cold water swimming, and trained for a Channel attempt (got pretty close, something like 2-3 miles from France when the currents changed and fecked it for him). He said he seemed to 'naturally' put some fat on, particularly around the hips waist / kidneys when he was doing all of that. Just following what his body wanted to eat, not forcing any particular diet or trying to gain weight. He's always had a fairly muscular upper body - much more so than the typical triathlete.
He lost it all + some when he subsequently got back into training for an iron distance eave we both did.

As per others, most cold water swimmers I know aren't scared of cake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also Ross Edgerley just did a big OW lake swim this past week (50+ hours non stop in Loch Ness).

https://www.bbc.com/...incolnshire-63019781

I read in a previous article that ended up having to bulk up from 85kg to 100kg for it, as he couldn't tolerate the cold in Loch Ness for more that a few hours at 85kg.
Quote Reply
Re: Deliberately Adding a Few Pounds for Cold and Open Water? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won't do so and I'm trying to lose weight at this moment. I also hope to do cold water swimming but as the season has gone already I am only staying at short distances, for example, under 700 m in 5°C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are your swimming and running goals long term? It's hard to weigh up the benefits without knowing your athletic aspirations.
Quote Reply