Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Living off grid in Alaska [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My cousin took a government job to help pay off her DDS schooling. She has stayed, married someone else from the lower 48 that went up there after college for a job. They have never left. They are both going on 20 years there, raising their family. At some point, I want to get up there and visit. During the summer though. Honestly never thought she would stay up there.
Quote Reply
Re: Living off grid in Alaska [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Richard Proenneke is an interesting story. Checks most of your boxes, veteran, etc.

I forget which documentary it is, but I think it was Richard who was filmed for his final day at his cabin at age 83 before he finally moved back to California. They filmed him doing the rather difficult-looking climb to up an elevated food storage shed he kept (I believe maybe the one pictured below). What he was able to do at 83 is such a contrast to many ~43 year-olds I see struggling to move around a Walmart.

Yes, I watched that documentary several times. "Alone in the Wilderness" I think its called. Dick moved up there when he turned 50 I believe. Built that cabin from scratch in Twin Lakes. Its still there from what I understand.

Its been a fantasy of mine to do the same sort of thing. Trouble is, its illegal to do that in most places now without owning the land. I don't think Dick actually owned the land or the trees he used. Probably was homesteading. I think Alaska was the last place you could do that until 1986. In other states homesteading ended in 1976. However, you could probably get away with it for awhile in some remote areas without anyone finding out. I wonder what the cost of a few acres in the Alaskan wilderness would be nowadays.
Quote Reply
Re: Living off grid in Alaska [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't the black bear cubs climb up those cache poles? I have seen them climb up small trees when I am out backpacking. (normally mom runs off and the cubs climb a tree). Perhaps your bear are more scared of human scent.
Quote Reply
Re: Living off grid in Alaska [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
Can't the black bear cubs climb up those cache poles? I have seen them climb up small trees when I am out backpacking. (normally mom runs off and the cubs climb a tree). Perhaps your bear are more scared of human scent.

You're probably right that a black bear cub (maybe even an adult) can scale those poles. But there's not much for them to hang on to once they're up there, so they can't do too much damage.

Here's another way to dissuade bears: hang old cans of bear spray on your cabin. The pic below is not a very good one, but if you look carefully you'll see that a grizzly was trying to break into this shed in the Brooks Range. It pulled loose the corner board and left a tuft of hair on it. Then it got curious about the can of bear spray hanging on the nail and bit into it. That black mark you see on the can is a hole, presumably from the bear's canine. The spray can was empty when I found it. It is a nasty surprise for a bear, but frankly in the long run a bear that learns to leave human stuff alone is better off. And bears are plenty smart and learn lessons like this very readily.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going on a trip next summer to AK for almost 2 weeks, can't wait to soak it all in. The resiliency / self-sufficiency needed to live in some of those places is awesome to see.

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Re: Living off grid in Alaska [r7950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r7950 wrote:
I am going on a trip next summer to AK for almost 2 weeks, can't wait to soak it all in. The resiliency / self-sufficiency needed to live in some of those places is awesome to see.

Out of curiosity when and where do you plan to go?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:
r7950 wrote:

Out of curiosity when and where do you plan to go?

It's a family trip, I'm not a part of the planning, just being told to go.

We will do a private lodge near Denali for several nights, and then a boat trip in Glacier Bay NP. There will be a few nights spent in Anchorage and Juneau

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
patf wrote:

You're probably right that a black bear cub (maybe even an adult) can scale those poles. But there's not much for them to hang on to once they're up there, so they can't do too much damage.

Here's another way to dissuade bears: hang old cans of bear spray on your cabin. The pic below is not a very good one, but if you look carefully you'll see that a grizzly was trying to break into this shed in the Brooks Range. It pulled loose the corner board and left a tuft of hair on it. Then it got curious about the can of bear spray hanging on the nail and bit into it. That black mark you see on the can is a hole, presumably from the bear's canine. The spray can was empty when I found it. It is a nasty surprise for a bear, but frankly in the long run a bear that learns to leave human stuff alone is better off. And bears are plenty smart and learn lessons like this very readily.

Looks like a bullet hole to me but I can’t see the back side. Someone shooting it seems more probable to me.

Alaska is intriguing to me but the high rate of gun deaths and suicide reveal how challenging it is to live there for many people. I know I couldn’t do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Living off grid in Alaska [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
eb wrote:
patf wrote:

Looks like a bullet hole to me but I can’t see the back side. Someone shooting it seems more probable to me.

Alaska is intriguing to me but the high rate of gun deaths and suicide reveal how challenging it is to live there for many people. I know I couldn’t do it.

Agreed. Hanging a spent bear canister with some residual scent on a food cache *might* be a deterrent against bears that had been previously sprayed. But, it's still not a recommended use for bear spray. Hanging a full canister on a food cache expecting a bear to puncture it and spray himself would be a really naive food-protection strategy.

OTOH, the guy may have just hung his bear spray there to have it ready should he need to use it. And, some bear coincidentally thought it smelled curious and actually did puncture it. If so, that *particular* bear probably won't be back to bother the cache. And, he'll now recognize canisters.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
currently watching his first video and enjoying it!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Living off grid in Alaska [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
Triocd wrote:
eb wrote:
patf wrote:

Agreed. Hanging a spent bear canister with some residual scent on a food cache *might* be a deterrent against bears that had been previously sprayed. But, it's still not a recommended use for bear spray. Hanging a full canister on a food cache expecting a bear to puncture it and spray himself would be a really naive food-protection strategy.

OTOH, the guy may have just hung his bear spray there to have it ready should he need to use it. And, some bear coincidentally thought it smelled curious and actually did puncture it. If so, that *particular* bear probably won't be back to bother the cache. And, he'll now recognize canisters.

Well, I guess this is where I tactfully explain to you that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

It's not uncommon in Alaska for folks to hang cans of bear spray on their cabins to deter bears. I first heard of this tactic about 20 years ago. I have some hanging on my own cabin. Bears are curious, and if they find something they think is interesting they will examine it, and eventually bite it. If they bite a can of bear spray they do not enjoy it.

The pic below (that I took last year just before leaving a friend's cabin) shows typical bear deterrent measures. Note the plywood shutters screwed on over the door and windows. Note the nails protruding from the shutters. Note the nail-studded "welcome mat" in front of the door. And note the four cans of bear spray that are left there year-round.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Purely by coincidence, 300 miles north of 907tri, fresh moose meat is being ground ...

A buddy of mine gave me some moose steak and jerky from a hunt. Pretty good stuff!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:

Well, I guess this is where I tactfully explain to you that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

It's not uncommon in Alaska for folks to hang cans of bear spray on their cabins to deter bears. I first heard of this tactic about 20 years ago. I have some hanging on my own cabin. Bears are curious, and if they find something they think is interesting they will examine it, and eventually bite it. If they bite a can of bear spray they do not enjoy it.

The pic below (that I took last year just before leaving a friend's cabin) shows typical bear deterrent measures. Note the plywood shutters screwed on over the door and windows. Note the nails protruding from the shutters. Note the nail-studded "welcome mat" in front of the door. And note the four cans of bear spray that are left there year-round.

Well, I guess this is where I tactfully explain that there's no need to get all pissy.

FWIW, I'm a former Wilderness Trekking Instructor and taught packpacking bear safety classes for over a decade. I've had occasion to spray both black and brown bears over the years. I've used dozens of dummy cans to teach students how to use them properly.

However, while I have hiked in AK, I have not encountered a bear there, and can't speak with first-hand authority as to this unconventional practice of hanging bear spray cans on structures you described. It may indeed be a common practice in AK as you say, but I've never seen it advocated by any respected bear safety authority or can manufacturer, nor seen any studies, or even reports of its effective use that way.

Even the NPS says, "Do not use bear spray like insect repellent. It does not work as a deterrent when applied to people or equipment."

https://www.nps.gov/...nature/bearspray.htm

As to your original picture, that puncture *appears* to be a bullet hole. There are no visible dents or scratches from teeth or claws on the can, nor does it appear crushed at all:

Cheers.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Sep 26, 22 21:16
Quote Reply
Re: Living off grid in Alaska [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
eb wrote:

Well, I guess this is where I tactfully explain that there's no need to get all pissy.

FWIW, I'm a former Wilderness Trekking Instructor and taught packpacking bear safety classes for over a decade. I've had occasion to spray both black and brown bears over the years. I've used dozens of dummy cans to teach students how to use them properly.

However, while I have hiked in AK, I have not encountered a bear there, and can't speak with first-hand authority as to this unconventional practice of hanging bear spray cans on structures you described. It may indeed be a common practice in AK as you say, but I've never seen it advocated by any respected bear safety authority or can manufacturer, nor seen any studies, or even reports of its effective use that way.

Even the NPS says, "Do not use bear spray like insect repellent. It does not work as a deterrent when applied to people or equipment."

https://www.nps.gov/...nature/bearspray.htm

As to your original picture, that puncture *appears* to be a bullet hole. There are no visible dents or scratches from teeth or claws on the can, nor does it appear crushed at all:

Cheers.

Trust me, I'm not even the slightest bit pissy. I'm just cheerfully explaining that you seem to know fuck-all about bear behavior around cabins.

If you think that looks like a bullet hole you are sadly mistaken. I was there. I held that can in my hand and examined the puncture up close. On the other side, there was a matching dent from the opposing canine, but no puncture. A bullet hole would've had an exit hole, or an outward dent on the far side. I wish I had a better pic, but when I took it, I didn't realize it was going to be scrutinized by some internet bear expert who tells me that I don't know a bullet hole from a grizzly's tooth mark. I've seen plenty of both; pretty sure I can tell the difference.

Maybe if you can't speak with "first-hand authority" you should consider listening to someone who has substantial experience with bears, what they do to cabins, and how to deter them?

Finally, why the hell would someone shoot a can of bear spray with a very small caliber gun and then hang that can on their shed along with other cans that hadn't been shot? And, with a dozen cabins, sheds, and outhouses in the area, how does that can happen to be on the only structure with a recent break-in attempt by a bear? And not just on the same structure, but on the same corner! Quite the coincidence!
Quote Reply

Prev Next