Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
gooopil wrote:
JimVance wrote:
Today’s Plan gives you a free 7 day trial. Has a lot of customization options, and different tools. If you’re competing in Zwift Academy, the account is free for 8 weeks, with a ZA dashboard. Check it out.

Last season, I was thinking about looking for an alternative to TP, getting increasingly tired of the status quo. Missed the auto-renewal (which, by the way, I really don't appreciate, give me a headsup before renewing me, it's just curtesy) so I grudgingly stayed with TP, and canceled the auto-renewal. Came across this thread, and decided to give Today's Plan a trial.
3 or 4 days in, this looks like a winner :) Will be using in conjunction with the excellent intervals.icu

Plus
- The TSS-like weighting of running versus other sports
- Global UI looks sleek and practical, minus a few hicups here and there
- Progressive workouts building, and globally the workout builder experience
- Nice documentation
- DashboardS with stats and stuff. Not just one dashboard!
- Free, no strings attached trial

Thanks, and great to hear you are enjoying it! If you're a stats guy, or want to chart anything, if a metric is put into Today's Plan, it can be graphed and charted. Make your views specific to what you want to see, fully customizable. Check out our YouTube channel for a lot of good help videos.

gooopil wrote:

Cons
- Can't create a workout using a % of power, has to be a zone thingy (not a huge deal most of the time, but still impractical in my opinion)
- I don't see any equivalent to a yearly training plan, just to set the target T-scores and set a progression, with events, phases etc.
- Planning builder is Cycling only (related to previous point I guess?). As a side note, I wanted to have a look at the all made plans, and it's asking me for a start date. Well OK, but maybe give me the option to set it by end date, like an event (yes, I'm lazy and don't want to calculate ;) ) Plus, the start date has to be the current week!
- No Strava import (to be fair, this is mostly because my bike GPS is a Karoo, which doesn't support --yet-- synching of rides to Today's Plan)
- Can't figure if there's a way to have a proper elevation correction for runs (it doesn't seem to resynch using the Correction when enabled in Garmin Connect, and I can't find an elevation correction feature like Training Peak has)

Just to help here, I will reply in order.
- There are many coaches who have created custom 10 power zones to get more to a % of power prescription. It's just whatever the scale you want to use, as everything is customizable.
- The Annual Planner Chart is at the bottom of the calendar screen, little arrow up button. In the top right settings of that chart, make sure PLANS box is checked. Then take the weeks you want to include in a phase by clicking and dragging on the chart, and create whatever cycles, phases, notes, or whatever you want.
- As a coach on the platform, I don't use the plans, but feel free to email support@todaysplan.com.au with questions on that, or as feedback to improve, so we can log that request.
- Actually, you can import from Strava, via Fitness-Syncer. We are actively and quickly expanding our syncing with many different devices and platforms.
- We do not have an elevation correction tool, but we find as the technology has improved, there is much less need for it

We just released new features, like a route builder, live achievements and activity recording right within the mobile app, which should help reduce the barrier of entry into the sport, and bring the gamification to outdoor training. We're really excited about the stuff we're doing to help organizations & coaching companies create and foster their communities, like these: https://www.todaysplan.com.au/find-a-community/

Always happy to help, and be sure to keep sharing your ideas and feature requests, as we move fast!
Follow-up much appreciated :)
- Regarding the power (zones versus %), yeah I see what you mean, feels more like a workaround whereas you should probably just have a different field to input a percentage directly (users are lazy!)
- Found the planning following your instructions, I will send feedback after a few weeks of usage, I think you have a lack of visibility on that feature, and a little bit of UI work to do, but it's there, and I'm really happier than I was before reading your answer.
- Appreciate the Fitness-syncer :)
- Regarding Elevation correction, well, tell that to my Garmin watch: it was a bit windy, and it recorded about 22km of elevation in a 10km run! I still think you should look into pulling the elevation correction from Garmin if it's available (but I bet it's not... )
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are a coach, you could try TrainerPlan (trainerplan.co)
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [gooopil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gooopil wrote:
- Regarding Elevation correction, well, tell that to my Garmin watch: it was a bit windy, and it recorded about 22km of elevation in a 10km run! I still think you should look into pulling the elevation correction from Garmin if it's available (but I bet it's not... )

I like Today's Plan, but no elevation correction is a deal breaker. Non barometric Garmin units are terrible at elevation (but Connect does a decent job of correcting it). However Today's Plan downloads the data without correction, which means a recent half marathon race I did recently on a F1 track ended up with more than 400m of elevation gain, with no way for me to correct that :|
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [BrunoF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are an endurance coach and you want, train, monitoring, manging communicate and interact with your athletes you might want to check http://www.sciencetraining.io
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [amyrkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. [/url]Today, most are synced with giants like Garmin, so workouts can be structured and ran on your GPS watch, device or bike computer.
2. Garmin has the market cornered for the most part for workout tracking. They are developing their workout plans more and more, but the true key is analyzation after the workout where Garmin is strong.
3. Speaking of post workout, apps like TrainingPeaks are next level with review of post workouts stats and going steps further with their management charts and WK01 platform. But, keep in mind with the fancy side, trash in trash out. Your data needs to be clean for it to make sense and be effective.
4. TriDot is gaining ground and recently released an update that gives your data a score relevant to the platform and how helpful it is in post workout review. They are also on the side of more AI based planning and as opposed to a coach making your workouts, they have a library that's calculated based on your performance and assessments. But again garbage in, garbage out so be mindful.
5. Final Surge is jumping into the game and catching up, but is distinctly behind in the game at the moment.
6. There's also apps such as Today's Plan and a handful of other platforms to look out for.
7. But, what about the bike? Now that smart trainers prevail, you would be remiss not utilizing apps like Zwift, Rouvy and Trainer Road. Structured workouts to run your trainer in the cold months, no better way to go. But, they lack the back end to really dig into the stats and look at your triathlon game as a whole. More complimentary.
8. Aside from the various apps and what features they bring... cost is a growing factor. More features, more cost. But what's the saying, you get what you pay for?
9. Not all apps are the same when it comes to phone support. Don't want to be tied to the web version, do some homework to see which have a robust phone app component.
10. Not all apps are equal when it comes to IT tech support. If it's a one man band, you may be waiting for responses when the game is on the line.
11. Not all apps play well with coaches. Apps like TrainingPeaks were built for coaches... while apps like TriDot HAVE coaching features, but more secondary.
12. Sometimes if comes down to feel. If you spent any time in math classes, you may know the reference of the difference between TI and HP calculators. Built for the same purpose, but drastically different in end user interfaces, something like Microsoft and Apple.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm currently using Trainerroad for workout planning and execution, going to intervals.icu for tracking. Just cycling so far for a few weeks after a long hiatus (illness, work, family etc etc), but I have my first run planned for tomorrow.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am enjoying Today's Plan, one glitch I have noticed, when calculating swim TSS, it seems to do it on heart rate rather than pace (TP uses pace). Can this be changed to calculated it on pace rather than heart rate?
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
I am enjoying Today's Plan, one glitch I have noticed, when calculating swim TSS, it seems to do it on heart rate rather than pace (TP uses pace). Can this be changed to calculated it on pace rather than heart rate?

Great to hear you're enjoying it! One of the great things about Today's Plan is you can select how stress scores are calculated, like by pace or HR. Just go to your name in the top right, select Account. Then Threshold/Zones, select the sport as swim, and then in Sport Settings choose the primary and secondary ways of stress score calculations.

Hope this helps!

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wondering if anyone has used HumanGo and if so, what you thought of it. Pros? Cons? If I understand correctly, it is primarily for athletes who do not have a coach and develops a dynamic training plan based upon AI. Seems to have lots of flexibility and can accommodate individual needs (ie if you tell it that you are sick today and therefore cannot complete your workouts, it will adjust tomorrow's workouts).
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know if someone has mentioned it.
The best application that i found to replace training peaks at the moment is nolio (nolio.io)
Functionalities are and price is pretty nice. It's a relatively new "french app" but also available in english
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been looking for an alternative to TrainingPeaks for quite some time now, I finally gave Todays Plan a go and it is pretty amazing really. Set it up and immediately record a message that my ftp on one of my Garmin’s didn’t match my ftp in the app, also received a message that my Quarq battery was running low. Pretty cool!

It’s pricey though. Almost three times what I’m currently paying. Need to fiddle with it for the next week to see if the cost difference is worth it or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorelegs wrote:
I have been looking for an alternative to TrainingPeaks for quite some time now, I finally gave Todays Plan a go and it is pretty amazing really. Set it up and immediately record a message that my ftp on one of my Garmin’s didn’t match my ftp in the app, also received a message that my Quarq battery was running low. Pretty cool!

It’s pricey though. Almost three times what I’m currently paying. Need to fiddle with it for the next week to see if the cost difference is worth it or not.

Awesome to hear! Thanks for sharing and the feedback!

Just an FYI on the costs, the highest tier price is if you want access to training plans, if you're not a coached athlete. For most athletes who are self-coached, or even those that are coached and not following any pre-built training plans, the $99/yr annual fee is all you need, (or you can pay the $12/mo). And in comparison, TrainingPeaks is $119/yr, or $20/mo, so the fees at Today's Plan are cheaper.

And considering the analytics available for Today's Plan, that eliminate a lot of the need for WKO, Today's Plan is definitely more budget friendly.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually completely overlooked that to be honest! Thanks for pointing that out.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorelegs wrote:
I actually completely overlooked that to be honest! Thanks for pointing that out.

Sure. Just contact support and they will refund the difference if you want a different account tier.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick question. Is there a way in todays plan to view a cumulative power zone distribution? For example strava shows me how long I spent in a power zone for a certain ride, but lets say I wanted to see that data for the last x days or weeks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jim, do you know if there’s any way to sync from Peloton workouts? Peloton will sync to Strava but would it follow through to Today’s Plan? I’ve been a long time TP user and cancelled my monthly subscription a while back, but looking to get going again and considering options.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Intervals.icu gives you totals like that and a lot more (disclaimer: I founded Intervals.icu)

https://intervals.icu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might be able to do this through the dashboard page using the add widget, training mix option, then playing with the time scales. Not tried it though.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [David Tinker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David Tinker wrote:
Intervals.icu gives you totals like that and a lot more (disclaimer: I founded Intervals.icu)

Nice! I recently found out about intervals.icu and started using it a couple of months ago. I love it. (I haven't started my $4/month subscription yet, but I will be doing that soon)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
habbywall wrote:
Quick question. Is there a way in todays plan to view a cumulative power zone distribution? For example strava shows me how long I spent in a power zone for a certain ride, but lets say I wanted to see that data for the last x days or weeks?

Yes, you can do this in the Dashboard. Go to Dashboard > Click on + symbol in top right to add a chart/graph > Select Training Mix > Time in Zones. From there you can customize to type of zones, (HR, power, etc), and then even if you have customized zones you follow, you can select those.

Anything that is uploaded to Today's Plan can be charted and graphed, and many with alerts on them, based on what you want to know. The customizations of the platform are extensive, based on your own IP, whether a self-coached athlete, or a coach with hundreds or a few athletes. Hope this helps!

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
Hey Jim, do you know if there’s any way to sync from Peloton workouts? Peloton will sync to Strava but would it follow through to Today’s Plan? I’ve been a long time TP user and cancelled my monthly subscription a while back, but looking to get going again and considering options.

Sure. If you have Peloton write/sync to Apple HealthFit app, then you can connect to Today's Plan thru there directly. That's the best way I've found. (Disclosure: I don't own, nor have ever used a Peloton, this is just what I have heard from our users).

Hope this helps!

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool thx! I appreciate the insight. I asked Today’s Plan chat support but they didn’t suggest that. I used to sync Peloton with an app called mPaceLine, which then sync’d to Strava as well. But it was a bit of a needless connection really.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David, I'm exploring intervals.icu and I have a few questions for you:

1. when I am looking at weekly time in zones, can you tell me if the training "category" can be changed or is it highlighting the category that I fall into? See pic:

Basically, is there a way to always see "pyramidal" in that highlighted state? That's actually exactly what I'm looking for, in terms of an easy way to visualize how much time in zones I'm doing. But I can't quite figure out if that's just a default, or is there a setting somewhere? I noticed it said "unique" for one of my workouts or one of my weeks and I couldn't figure out why.

2. Sidenote, is there a way to customize the zones? It may not make sense to anybody else but i try to just stick to a 3-zone breakdown, at least in my head - pyramidal works for me, because of course I have an upper and lower range to each of my zones, but I'm currently only focusing on Z1/2 base building and that's what I want to see broken out.

3. When it comes to importing workouts, what is the best way to do this? I used to have a trainerroad subscription but I canceled it because it was just a way to build workouts, even though it was a bit clunky. I have a free version of trainingpeaks but I'm looking to get off of it, since I don't really want to pay for premium - by the way, I did sign up to support you guys as I figure this out :)

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The time in zones classification can't be changed. However it might not be super obvious but the 3 zone breakdown numbers in the highlighted box are your actual numbers. The non-highlighted boxes just show sample data. So I think it is answering your question.

You can customise zones for power, HR and pace separately for each sport in /settings. Intervals.icu does make some assumptions about how your zones are done when constructing the 3 zone model for the classifications. If you have 5+ zones then it uses 1+2, 3+4, 5+. If you have only 4 then its 1+2, 3, 4.

You can import workouts from zwo/fit/mrc/erg files into a folder in your library or directly when creating a workout on your calendar. You can also extract workouts from activity fit files sometimes (e.g. Garmin devices include the workout steps in the activity file).

Tx for signing up!

https://intervals.icu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks I appreciate it. I was trying to decide if it's worth trying to import workouts or blocks of workouts from trainingpeaks for example. I like the folders and planning aspects so far!
Quote Reply

Prev Next