Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Indoor Triathlon - spin bike advice
Quote | Reply
Have signed up for an indoor triathlon for the first time. These are the race details:

• Swim: 15 minutes in a 25 yard lap pool
  • Transition 1: 10 minutes to change in locker room
  • Bike: 25 minute bike on a Precor Rally spin bike *please note resistance will not increase distance on these bikes*
  • Transition 2: 5 minutes to transition
  • Run: 20 minute run or walk on Matrix treadmills

Scores will be based on how much distance each participant covers in a specific amount of time.

I'm not particularly familiar with spin bikes and so curious with regard to the note about resistance settings. Do spin bikes just gauge power and convert to distance? Since this event is at a gym that I don't have access to and I don't anticipate having much time in transition other than to alter seat height, get shoes on etc., what would be the best strategy for quickly establishing resistance to maximize my mileage? Should I anticipate a high cadence (100-110) on the spin bike as for a TT?

Any advice appreciated - thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Triathlon - spin bike advice [RodeRunnerRon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RodeRunnerRon wrote:
Should I anticipate a high cadence (100-110) on the spin bike as for a TT?

I don't have direct experience with this bike, but it appears to be a "dumb" spin bike with only cadence sensing. So given the that and the comment, it appears the strategy is to set the lowest resistance and spin it like a hamster on meth.

Since high cadence fatigues differently and is probably outside a normal comfort zone, may be a good idea to practice so you can adapt a bit and get an idea what is sustainable for 25 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did an indoor a handful of years ago. Very much in the same situation as you where I did not have access to the spin bikes at all other than was told ahead of time they used Stages power meters and either toe strap or spd-sl pedals. We couldn't adjust the resistance either. Try to find out how your bikes will be setup. If they have power meters and If you know your FTP you should be able to find a comfortable cadence.

One bit of advice, try to find a bike directly in front of a fan. The spin room we were in had fans about every 3rd bike, I didn't notice until we started and was cooking the whole time.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s all cadence. Find the highest cadence you can maintain for 25 minutes and go. Note that you’ll have to play with resistance because no resistance at 100+ rpm is exhausting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will need to be able to comfortably maintain 125rpm or better. I did one a few years ago with a similar bike and I remember seeing 135 on a winners timesheet.
I got to 115 and thought I was good......not even close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many of the responses so far talk about riding at a higher cadence. If you aren't used to this, I imagine you'll get gassed halfway through and slog through the final several minutes.

I have done a bunch of these indoor triathlons. The calibration on those bikes will vary dramatically. My best advice to you if allowed is to do your bike warmup on several different bikes. Then during the event, sprint to the bike that read the best power during your warmup.

@Kid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice – greatly appreciated and will help immensely. I have had a low-key season with only two races so far after coming back from injuries. This indoor tri gives me an opportunity to get in a final race of the year as my fitness is almost back and so taking it a bit more seriously than I otherwise would.

Hadn’t considered SPD pedals (the last time I did a spin class I used toe straps) – so I will investigate borrowing a pair.

Great advice on seeking out bike near a fan – can imagine the room getting steamy.

Will spend the next few weeks on the trainer trying to get comfortable with a cadence >120, although 135 sounds preposterous.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply