Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aid stations cut at Kona
Quote | Reply
IM just put this out - ‘changes to aid stations’

Can’t say I am shocked that they cannot get the volunteers but this is not good at all

Down to 9 on the bike (used to be 13 I recall ) and 18 on the run

1.5 miles between some aid stations on the run will feel like a long time - bike should be ok if you have room for two bottles per aid station but don’t miss one otherwise you are screwed
Quote Reply
Re: Aid stations cut at Kona [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully they don't run out of water for the late(r) finishers like they have in the past.
people have gone the last 40miles on the bike with zero refill ability

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm…maybe take some of that extra money they are making and pay for some stations?
Quote Reply
Re: Aid stations cut at Kona [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up. I start late on Saturday. May have to consider keeping 3 cages on the bike to ensure I don't run out in the last 40.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up. I was planning to walk at each aid station on the run to stay cool, and this is stretching it a bit for me. Maybe I carry more on me now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
IM just put this out - ‘changes to aid stations’

Can’t say I am shocked that they cannot get the volunteers but this is not good at all

Down to 9 on the bike (used to be 13 I recall ) and 18 on the run

1.5 miles between some aid stations on the run will feel like a long time - bike should be ok if you have room for two bottles per aid station but don’t miss one otherwise you are screwed

This number of aid stations (roughly 1 per 20km on bike and one per 2.4km on run) does not seem that bad for Kona capable athletes. For your general IM, maybe a bit stretched out on run, but for world chamionship capable athletes, you could go to half the number on the bike and go once every 3 km on run and should still be doable....its just not as "full service"....just have to take on more at each station, but its the same for everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Aid stations cut at Kona [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Hopefully they don't run out of water for the late(r) finishers like they have in the past.
people have gone the last 40miles on the bike with zero refill ability

Witnessed that firsthand in 2016. BOP due to three flats leaving T1. I had to wait almost an hour for bike support and they gave me a new tire, one tube, and one CO2. I was the last one out of town and I was going hard to make the cutoffs. Made them and then was rewarded with no water the last two hours. Lost 18 lbs that day but I finished Kona with about 10 minutes to spare . What a great day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll say it again: maybe time to explore some new venues for World's.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Aid stations cut at Kona [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beat that dead horse. Keep going. I’m sure they’re listening…..

They did. It went to StG. Kona officials saw that it could be a good venue… gave them 2day race.

The end.

Maybe when the PTO buys IM we “might” see something different, but it’s been a resounding “we want Kona” from the AGs.
Quote Reply
Re: Aid stations cut at Kona [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Beat that dead horse. Keep going. I’m sure they’re listening…..

They did. It went to StG. Kona officials saw that it could be a good venue… gave them 2day race.

The end.

Maybe when the PTO buys IM we “might” see something different, but it’s been a resounding “we want Kona” from the AGs.

Moritz is not buying Ironman. They never even attempted to do so in a good faith negotiation either. PTO will either succeed and be sustainable or it will flame out massively.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Aid stations cut at Kona [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
…it’s been a resounding “we want Kona” from the AGs.

Not that I disagree with you, but I’m curious as to how you reached the conclusion that the the AGs have expressed a resounding “we want Kona” sentiment. Did IM do a survey? Did the WC at St. George not fill? I honestly don’t know what most AGers think. My sense from ST is that those who favor changing venues are in the minority, but ST is hardly a representative sample.
Quote Reply
Re: Aid stations cut at Kona [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:

Not that I disagree with you, but I’m curious as to how you reached the conclusion that the the AGs have expressed a resounding “we want Kona” sentiment. Did IM do a survey? Did the WC at St. George not fill? I honestly don’t know what most AGers think. My sense from ST is that those who favor changing venues are in the minority, but ST is hardly a representative sample.

St George filled eventually, but it took a while. They needed to ask the all world athletes and from what I heard if you finished a race 16:59 you had a pretty got shot of getting a roll down spot.

Now that all these new issues have cropped up with a 2 day Kona, it may be a little less popular though.

I think part of the reason St George struggled to get filled, was that it was still in the US, so it was still a big journey for non American athletes. If the IMWC were in Europe, it could be one of the most popular events ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Aid stations cut at Kona [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
Changpao wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:

St George filled eventually, but it took a while. They needed to ask the all world athletes and from what I heard if you finished a race 16:59 you had a pretty got shot of getting a roll down spot.

Now that all these new issues have cropped up with a 2 day Kona, it may be a little less popular though.

I think part of the reason St George struggled to get filled, was that it was still in the US, so it was still a big journey for non American athletes. If the IMWC were in Europe, it could be one of the most popular events ever.

There were parts of the world where you could get out of the country to the US but there was no guarantee, even as a citizen of that country, you were getting back in a timely manner.

I've got family in other countries. The # of flights from the US was <5/day compared to the 20+ normally, cost was 3-4x higher, the wait to get back into the country was 3-4mo + a 2 week self paid quarantine upon arrival. My family checked and the total cost was ~ $50k USD round trip during the pandemic when it is normally ~ $10k USD.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racing on the 6th volunteer on the 8th.........pier..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding the cut to the run aid stations, did anyone notice that they skipped the R5 station in the updated athlete guide? There are not 18 aid stations, only 17.

Run Aid Stations
R1 1.3 miles / 2.1 km
R2 2.9 miles / 4.7 km
R3 4.3 miles / 6.9 km
R4 5.9 miles / 9.5 km
R6 8.2 miles / 13.2 km
R7 9.8 miles / 15.8 km
R8 11.3 miles / 18.2 km
R9 12.9 miles / 20.8 km
R10 14.2 miles / 22.8 km
R11 15.6 miles / 25.1 km
R12 16.8 miles / 27.0 km
R13 18.2 miles / 29.3 km
R14 19.4 miles / 31.2 km
R15 21.0 miles / 33.8 km
R16 22.6 miles / 36.4 km
R17 24.2 miles / 38.9 km
R18 25.1 miles / 40.4 km

Curious if anyone from Ironman has addressed this yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Aid stations cut at Kona [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the St. George WC this year was a very good indicator of how people would react to a change in WC location. If I understand it correctly, nobody qualifying the normal way was given the choice of St. George or nothing. Everyone had the choice of St. George spring '22 or Kona fall '22.

If they ever changed the location and the top age groupers at each Ironman were given the choice of St. George/somewhere in Europe, etc. or nothing, then we'd get a good sense. I think it would still fill easily.
Quote Reply
Re: Aid stations cut at Kona [socaleric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't looked at the Athlete Guide, but on the website (https://www.ironman.com/...pionship-2022-course) they list 18 aid stations for the run, including R5.
Quote Reply