Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Experience with Quintana Roo VPR
Quote | Reply
Hi,
has anyone ridden the new Quintana Roo VPR?
So I'm in market for a new long distance bike. Not sure if the VPR or PRSIX2 is the better choice.
Other options are maybe the Argon 18 E119 Disc or the Cervelo P Series.
Regards
Last edited by: bianchixl: Sep 23, 22 4:05
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Quintana Roo VPR [bianchixl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bianchixl wrote:
Hi,
So I'm in market for a new long distance bike. Not sure if the VPR or PRSIX2 is the better choice.
Regards

I have been riding the VPR this entire year. I fit well on it, I like the Vision Pro bars a lot, it's very light and responsive. It has well vetted aerodynamics and is a better choice then the PR6 but also look at the XPR, which is a less expensive version of the VPR.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bianchixl wrote:
Hi,
Regards

I've put 3 people on them this year, maybe 4.

The reviews are more mixed. A few have had several little things go wrong, pop off. QR has been very, very responsive fixing, getting parts to them. One loves it. One is probably switching back to a Cervelo p5 disc

They have an awesome try it for 30d return it if you're not happy policy.

You have a solid list. IDK if you can go wrong with any of them

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Coming off 5 years on P5x to V-PR. Noticeably lighter leading to feeling much more responsive to acceleration. Has a road bike feel handling IMO. Hed Wheels excellent, frame can take 28 tires.
Simple storage solutions and travel breakdown/assembly.
I find bento box a bit small but overall super happy with change.
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Quintana Roo VPR [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
bianchixl wrote:
Hi,
Regards

The reviews are more mixed. A few have had several little things go wrong, pop off. QR has been very, very responsive fixing, getting parts to them. One loves it. One is probably switching back to a Cervelo p5 disc

They have an awesome try it for 30d return it if you're not happy policy.

You have a solid list. IDK if you can go wrong with any of them

Thanks for sharing.
What are things that have hone wrong with the VPR?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive been riding it this season and like it very much. But this is my first serious tri -bike after riding an entry-level one for 5 years, so a lot of things are much better in comparison. And much much faster!

Couple of small nit-picks:
- bento box is not enough for my flat tyre kit, I had to use on-tube storage for it.
- not possible to take back disk brake pads without unscrewing the brake
- the thing where you plug the front hydration is attached by 2 small bolts upside-down and those bolts get lose and lost on shitty roads
- x-lab torpedo was more useful because you can put a normal bottle there if you don’t want to use the torpedo one. With VPR hydration there is no choice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I have an XPR with the Ultegra Di2, HED 60mm/80mm vanquish wheels and I have some thoughts.

Cockpit; I really like the Profile design Aeria front end. Great and easy adjustability and it uses standard type parts such as extensions and forearm pads so its easy to customize. I have mixed feelings on the Aeria hydration but it does the job its intended to very well. I'm just not a fan of how far it sticks out and handles in cross wind. On a side note there is a new version coming out that may be a lot better.

Storage; I already talked about the front hydration but moving back the bento box and "q-box" i find to be a great carbonatation with enough room for me. I really like the bento box flexible rubber with the zipper closure, works great. The q-box stores my spare tire kit with room to spare.

Okay now the good stuff. The overall bike seems to be very well thought out without going overboard. I love all the new integrated frames and fancy proprietary front ends other brands are pushing however they all come at a cost. Typically lack of adjustability and inability to customize to your preference. QR did a great job keeping things simple in that regard. Don't be fooled simple does not mean poor quality or low tech in any way. Its much easier to work on than past bikes of mine. A lot of this comes to fine details in engineering such as most of the bike can be worked on with two Allen keys. It handles great and is very comfortable. I know fit is a large part of this but let me say I have been professionally fitted on my last three TT bikes and my fit has only changed slightly over the years. This bike just feels good on the road while going fast. I am coming off a Scott Plasma 5 that seemed to take a bit more effort to stay in aero. As far as aerodynamics, like I said I am coming off a Scott Plasma 5 so a very good bike to begin with and my top end power has not changed a lot. I post strava PR's every time I ride this bike and recently posted a 70.3 bike PR in Santa Cruz by around 15 min.

I could go on but let me cut to the chase and say if this bike is on your list it should be at the top. I am extremely happy with my purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Quintana Roo VPR [DustinWiemann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dustin, there is one question regarding transport: is the handlebar removable for transport in a bike bag or box?
thx in advance, cheers, M
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Quintana Roo VPR [Lami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry seeing this post just now.

Ultimately this depends on the bar/stem combo you get.

Everything is "removable" its just a matter of how user friendly. I have the X-PR with the PD front end. It came with quintanaroo's stem that does allow for easy bar removal and installation in my opinion (4 bolts). The stem comes apart and the entire top comes off allowing the cables to be free other than where they go into the frame. This would allow you to remove the bars and pack it providing there is enough slack in the brake lines. I think the V-PR comes with the same stem but I am not sure.

Something a bit different about my bike however is the mechanical disc. The cables seem to be a bit more durable than hydro brake lines but I don't see this as a big problem as long as you know what you are doing and you are careful packing it.

So to answer your question easily I would say yes. Bars are easily removable for transport as long as you have a stem that allows for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today I ordered a frameset after testing the bike last week at my dealer.
Are all of you riding the bike with a Shimano DI2?
I'm going to setup the bike with a Sram etap AXS. Does anyone drive the VPR with SRAM? Asking because
of the best position for the Blibbox.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simple, don't get one.

Just use the wireless blips on your extensions and bullhorns.

Slowman has the set-up hack here.

Great set-up and I've had zero issues with it.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Quintana Roo VPR [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
Simple, don't get one.

Just use the wireless blips on your extensions and bullhorns.

Slowman has the set-up hack here.

Great set-up and I've had zero issues with it.
i was thinking about the wireless blibs. if I understood it right
the setup without a blibbox only works with the Zipp Vuka Axs Aerobars.
i will use the Vision Pro Aerobars with the VPR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s the hack, if you follow Slomanz set up all you need are one or two sets of blips and a rear derailer. Nothing else!
Can be used with any aerobar and any extension you choose

Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Quintana Roo VPR [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
That’s the hack, if you follow Slomanz set up all you need are one or two sets of blips and a rear derailer. Nothing else!
Can be used with any aerobar and any extension you choose
Thanks for the advice, the setup without wires is something I’ll like.
The blibs look a bit chunky at the end of the extensions and hopefully they stick good enough at the brake levers. But pretty good idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They profile designs bar plugs slowman recommends for a double sided tape base for the extensions work pretty well, but I just bought some 3d printed options from WASSIM in the classified and they are a nice upgrade.

Piles of real estate to mount the bull horn blips on the side of the SRAM hydro tt brake levers.

Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Quintana Roo VPR [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
How is the X-PR/V-PR aerodynamically? I know QR's marketing say it is more aero than the P5, but have you seen first hand how this bike compares to other bikes in the wind tunnel?
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Quintana Roo VPR [khanlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Faster than a P5? I thought it was equal or similar, and only if you use the PD bottle, which the designer has implied makes most bikes faster.

I'd take that to mean the bike itself is more than likely slower than a P5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bianchix, did u follow through with the SRAM setup? Like u I purchased the VPR frame set with Merton Pros and I already own a 1x SRAM Force drivetrain. I was wondering how you set your Blips up and what length was required?
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Quintana Roo VPR [khanlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
khanlon wrote:
desert dude wrote:

How is the X-PR/V-PR aerodynamically? I know QR's marketing say it is more aero than the P5, but have you seen first hand how this bike compares to other bikes in the wind tunnel?

When I go to A2, or anyone, we all get the same data sheet, same columns etc. I was able to ask some pointed questions about numbers in certain columns and didn't get as direct of an answer as I would have liked.

I'm not saying it's slow, in fact the one athlete I converse with often says it's really fast and rides really well. N=1. I just struggle with the 13w (iirc) claim over the P5 when no one else can manage to beat cervelo test after test by person or company after person or company.

i'm putting together a trip to the wind tunnel right now, literally, right now as I type this. If anyone has one and a P5 set up the same, I'm happy to run them against each other and get some unbiased comparisons.

If anyone wants to test in the wind tunnel or do field testing here in Tucson or where ever you are,email or message me.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jan 10, 23 19:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bianchixl wrote:
Hi,
Regards

I just bought a frame. It's being built right now. I am super excited. I've been on a felt IA- while I loved the felt, there was limitations with the integrated front end.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply