Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What the what? HED 180 [aka_finto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aka_finto wrote:
So I guess this year wasn't the worst year to be running a super deep wheel, what with basically zero wind on course.

Actually it IS the worst year for it. Rear wheel doesn't affect handling and the super deep wheel will get more lift if the crosswinds are stronger.

I wonder what will come of this:
- other brands will make 180mm wheels for their athletes
- athletes run the HED unbranded

- brands keep adding depth until IM sets a limit. 190mm? 200mm?
- IM decides to allow disc wheels since the ban is pointless if we allow these wheels
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Oct 13, 22 5:19
Quote Reply
Re: What the what? HED 180 [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
aka_finto wrote:
So I guess this year wasn't the worst year to be running a super deep wheel, what with basically zero wind on course.

Actually it IS the worst year for it. Rear wheel doesn't affect handling and the super deep wheel will get more lift if the crosswinds are stronger.

- IM decides to allow disc wheels since the ban is pointless if we allow these wheels

This is 100% correct! About 15 years ago or more Blackwell Research made a limited run of a similar 180mm wheel. If safety really is a concern, then organizers should set a max dept for a front wheel of no greater than 45% surface area or, to be even more transparent, no deeper than 60mm. This won't happen, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona is 180km so 190mm or 200mm wouldn't make any sense marketing wise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
aka_finto wrote:

If M-Dot really wants to bring in the $$$, they should only allow IRONMAN-branded wheels at championship events.
Quote Reply
Re: What the what? HED 180 [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
aka_finto wrote:

If M-Dot really wants to bring in the $$$, they should only allow IRONMAN-branded wheels at championship events.

Give them time!
Quote Reply
Re: What the what? HED 180 [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:
Kona is 180km so 190mm or 200mm wouldn't make any sense marketing wise
Brilliant! But how about a 226mm? With a flange of (say) 35mm that'd still leave room for the spokes to be showing and a little light weeping through, past the 25t sprocket's teeth (50mm). 311mm radius (to rim edge).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I, for one, wouldn't mind more rules for Ironman/long distance triathlon and less options to choose from.

There are a lot of things in Triathlon that make it expensive and elitist. Disc wheels are one of them.
Being able to choose between a disc wheel and a deep dish gives a serious advantage to anyone willing to spend 2k for something that you are going to use a couple of times a year. And we've got plenty of those gadgets and upgrades. In triathlon a lot of speed can be bought if you are willing to pay for it.

It's nice that triathlon is not constrained by UCI rules and we can have superbikes but I do appreciate the simplicity of road bikes in UCI events.
An entry level road bike with Shimano Sora doesn't have a big disadvantage versus the most expensive road bike out there. Even a used vintage bike would make you competitive vs the latest aerodynamic, hidden cables, wireless shifting road bike.
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Oct 13, 22 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: What the what? HED 180 [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcoviappiani wrote:

There are a lot of things in Triathlon that make it expensive and elitist. Disc wheels are one of them.
Being able to choose between a disc wheel and a deep dish gives a serious advantage to anyone willing to spend 2k for something that you are going to use a couple of times a year.

~$100 for a Wheebuilder cover, or just a few $ and an afternoon for a DIY cover...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: What the what? HED 180 [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
~$100 for a Wheebuilder cover, or just a few $ and an afternoon for a DIY cover...

Still a lot more expensive than not needing to buy it because it's not allowed. Also, time is money. More time on DIY, less time training.
Quote Reply
Re: What the what? HED 180 [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you're training 24/7 that doesn't make sense.

I'm wondering if the Hed 180 is the most versatile option for race day, if you want a rear wheel that in theory is "always" legal, and as close to a disc as possible. Anybody done any wind tunnel on this yet?
Quote Reply

Prev Next