Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by piratetri [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: piratetri: Sep 22, 22 8:26
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [piratetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
piratetri wrote:
Not meant to be sarcastic. I'm just saying if you think about the exercises you do at the gym then you can recreate the stimulus at home. It took me a while to realize this.

Back squats or leg press are just a knee dominant exercise with heavy load. If you do hex bar/trap bar deadlifts or single leg split squats you can match a similar knee dominant strength stimulus without needing a spotter or machine.

You really, really do need recalibration. I was being sarcastic, not saying you were. SMH
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kini62 wrote:
cmart wrote:
Hi!

Can't really find any studies or recommendations but seems like gym strength training is superior to working out at home with some kettlebells for example.

What I would do at home is like squats, one-legged squats, deadlifts, maybe some body weight exercises, everything with additional weights of kettlebells.
Same exercises in the gym basically, maybe leg press or so added, but with more weight usually.

Any experiences in comparison for these two options? Strength training also used to make feel good, maybe hormones or so. Therefore definitely want to do it more over the winter, maybe even sticking with it after that.

If I had to go to a gym to workout I wouldn't workout. Very time consuming, driving, parking, waiting for equipment etc... If you're a heavy sweater then you can chance the petri dish of the shower or sweat all over your car.

I have over the last several decades accumulated enough equipment that I can do all that I need or want to do in the comfort of my own home at any time I want.

Get a cheap rack/bench and weights off Amazon and a set of adjustable dumbbells and you're pretty much set.

Bike to and from the gym.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer working out in the home gym…. 😉

Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got enough room to drop cleans/push press, and for squats have catchers for the bar.

That being said when I was lifting relatively properly, no real spotters, we just got taught by the coach how to shrug the bar off.

Given said gym had a guy who could squat 300kg ATG and come out of it fairly explosively, along with another guy who would do muscle-ups with a 25kg plate hanging off a belt [hammer thrower and sub 10 sec sprinter respectively] I'm pretty comfy that the coaching and guidance we were getting was fine!
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
For an athlete- gym exercises are a SUPPLEMENT to the real activities.

For gym people - gym exercises are a SUBSTITUTE for real activities.

Most people at the gym pursue their fake exercise with all the flakiness that excuse driven activity merits.
Why surround yourself with that?

Do functional strength activities before, after or during your real training.

If there is a gym at the pool or you are running on a treadmill to escape hot or cold- sure use the gym.

Otherwise don't waste your time.

When your body craves Squats, you're on the right Path

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:
I prefer working out in the home gym…. 😉

Jesus.. Congrats, that's serious life goals!
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altayloraus wrote:
I've got enough room to drop cleans/push press, and for squats have catchers for the bar.

That being said when I was lifting relatively properly, no real spotters, we just got taught by the coach how to shrug the bar off.

Given said gym had a guy who could squat 300kg ATG and come out of it fairly explosively, along with another guy who would do muscle-ups with a 25kg plate hanging off a belt [hammer thrower and sub 10 sec sprinter respectively] I'm pretty comfy that the coaching and guidance we were getting was fine!

Olympic weightlifters are arguably the best squatters in the world and it's rare they ever use spotters or even a rack for squats. It's certainly possible to get out from under a back squat, and even easier/more natural for a front squat (which I'd always favour over back squats for beginners/less experienced lifters). Doing them in a rack definitely prvides an extra layer of safety though, which is probably recommended for people not experienced with the movement.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [James2020] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James2020 wrote:
altayloraus wrote:

Olympic weightlifters are arguably the best squatters in the world and it's rare they ever use spotters or even a rack for squats. It's certainly possible to get out from under a back squat, and even easier/more natural for a front squat (which I'd always favour over back squats for beginners/less experienced lifters). Doing them in a rack definitely prvides an extra layer of safety though, which is probably recommended for people not experienced with the movement.

They also use bumper plates, which I have at home with wood/rubber flooring. Just drop the weight. Worth the extra $
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on your goals.
I like gyms and the standard fare in the off season to lift heavier, then switch to home based body weight to incur less need for recovery from strength sessions.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
kini62 wrote:
cmart wrote:
Hi!

Can't really find any studies or recommendations but seems like gym strength training is superior to working out at home with some kettlebells for example.

What I would do at home is like squats, one-legged squats, deadlifts, maybe some body weight exercises, everything with additional weights of kettlebells.
Same exercises in the gym basically, maybe leg press or so added, but with more weight usually.

Any experiences in comparison for these two options? Strength training also used to make feel good, maybe hormones or so. Therefore definitely want to do it more over the winter, maybe even sticking with it after that.

If I had to go to a gym to workout I wouldn't workout. Very time consuming, driving, parking, waiting for equipment etc... If you're a heavy sweater then you can chance the petri dish of the shower or sweat all over your car.

I have over the last several decades accumulated enough equipment that I can do all that I need or want to do in the comfort of my own home at any time I want.

Get a cheap rack/bench and weights off Amazon and a set of adjustable dumbbells and you're pretty much set.

Sure if I had the extra 3 hours and didn't mind getting rained on most days or have my bike or parts of it stolen it would be great.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
I know it’s expensive and all that but Tonal was a fucking game changer. I had it installed the end of March and have 100 workouts in that six months. I haven’t lifted weights 100 times in the previous 10 years combined. My son has over 100 workouts on it as well. Worth every cent.

Do they have any workouts specific to swim/bike/run? Good to hear this is working well for you. I live in the middle of the woods and getting to a gym is a big chore and I prefer to work out alone. So might be looking into something like this. I am good about doing strength/core at home with body weight and some free weights but would like to have more options.

Yes. Tonal just released a running specific program two weeks ago called 20-in-20 for Runners. 20 workouts (5x per week for four weeks), 20 minutes each. They have a couple of bike and swim programs as well. They also have “articles” that suggest which workouts to do for runners, cyclists, and swimmers so you could design your own program from those suggestions.

Tonal’s 20-in-20 workout programs are no joke. I’ve done all three of Tony Horton’s and they will kick your ass. I’m going to try the running one next. Horton doesn’t coach that one.

Wow, that's really cool! I'd be interested in the Runners program to keep my body more resistant to injury.

I did the 20-in-20 for Runners program. It was difficult to get through for me. The workouts were maybe at medium level of intensity and volume but the issue was that everyday was leg day. That made running and cycling a huge task for me. I was constantly aching and sore. There was just no leg recovery if you're doing 4-5x leg workouts per week and trying to run and cycle.

I'm not sure I'd do it again. It would be a good program if you weren't also running or cycling... which kind of defeats the purpose of runner's specific strength training program.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kini62 wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Sure if I had the extra 3 hours and didn't mind getting rained on most days or have my bike or parts of it stolen it would be great.

thats why i have a few $200 used "junk" bikes with a good lock. i make them extra dirty to be less appealing to thieves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a squat rack/deadlift rack, pullup bar, cable machine, bench, free weights and kettlebells at home. I use Dan John general strength or easy strength plans. simple exercises and major muscle groups/compound movements

I would say having a home gym is superior to the gym gym since the admin time involved in going to the gym makes it a nonstarter for me, but it is relatively easy to fit in a 20-30 minute strength workout 3-4 times/ week (off season), and 1-2 workouts/ week (competition season) at home. I'm never going to be a bodybuilder or powerlifter but a home gym allows me to do consistent strength training week in and week out.

Quote Reply

Prev Next