Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lactate.com-BUYER BEWARE
Quote | Reply
So I purchased a lactate meter back in July from Jerry Cosgrove at lactate.com. The readings were all over the map, like off the charts. So I decided to order some more strips and test some more. The consistency of the meter was never there. So I reached out to Jerry at Lactate.com about it after a week or so. We agreed that I would send the meter back so he could take a look at it. Then he ghosted me.

No examination of the meter. No exchanged meter. Nothing. Haven’t heard from the guy, he has not responded to any of my emails. At this point, I’m over lactate testing. But for anyone else interested, don’t buy it from Jerry unless you want a garbage product and no customer service follow up. I spent $400 and don’t even have a meter at this point. Though even if I had a meter, the one I had didn't work.

I am aware they are notoriously fickle, but even if it were some kind of bizarre "user error", the guy should check mine and return it or at least return my money.

Spend your money elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Lactate.com-BUYER BEWARE [Dcohss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Interesting to know; Did you have unexpected values when testing the control samples or blood samples?

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lactate.com-BUYER BEWARE [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:

Interesting to know; Did you have unexpected values when testing the control samples or blood samples?

Blood samples. I didn't get any control samples and didn't expect much of a learning curve. I figured I can run IVs and did numerous finger sticks for years for my grandmother and father.

After following the instructions given by Jerry himself, I got the following sequence of tests at rest:

Prior to the instructions, during a ramp test, the results were:

Following that, on an off day, I decided to take some resting samples this evening to work on my technique and see if I could get consistent results, I got the following:

I should have started with control samples I guess. I just figured that they would want to look at the meter. But alas, I'm out $400. Hopefully nobody else goes through this kind of nonsense.

FWIW, I love FastTalk-it's an honor having you reply to my thread!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dcohss wrote:
xtrpickels wrote:

Blood samples. I didn't get any control samples and didn't expect much of a learning curve. I figured I can run IVs and did numerous finger sticks for years for my grandmother and father.

After following the instructions given by Jerry himself, I got the following sequence of tests at rest:

If these were done over multiple hours, I could believe it.
It's enlightening to do serial tests throughout the day (which I've done for research with Inigo San Millan).
E.g. Caffeine elevates my resting lactate and I can easily get acute resting values in the 4's.
However, if these are taken in rapid succession, it is odd.

Quote:
Prior to the instructions, during a ramp test, the results were:

If I saw this without having any additional knowledge, I would assume that the samples were contaminated with sweat. To avoid this, it is best to ensure that you are taking the drop from a properly formed bubble, When sweat contaminates it tends to burst the bubble and you're trying to collect a sample that is spread across the finger.

I'm not immune to this either; I certainly have a contaminated sample everyone once in a while. Good wiping (Clean, Wipe, Prick, Wipe...Wipe again, Sample) and fans go a long way!

Interesting, Sweat Lactate concentration can be quite high (10mmol/L), so this drives lactate values up.

Quote:
Following that, on an off day, I decided to take some resting samples this evening to work on my technique and see if I could get consistent results, I got the following:

Considering this was at rest, it does not seem that sweat contamination is likely, so very odd values.

Quote:
I should have started with control samples I guess. I just figured that they would want to look at the meter. But alas, I'm out $400. Hopefully nobody else goes through this kind of nonsense.
Unfortunately, this is the only way to know and why we keep detailed records. For years I did this in a JCAHO certified lab (when we were using YSI 2300's) , which was maddening at times, but worth it at the end of the day.

Quote:
FWIW, I love FastTalk-it's an honor having you reply to my thread!

The honor is mine!
I'm actually reviewing our episode on "Perception and Performance" coming out on Thursday the 15th.

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to use the control solutions or else the meter won't work correctly. I'm pretty sure the instructions to the meter say to calibrate the meter every time you open a new container of strips and/or weekly (or if dropped).

My own experience has been great over the past two years. I've gone through about 250 strips and only 1 bad sample.

The control solutions have a shelf life, too.

It's always a good idea to make sure your equipment is calibrated and zeroed before you make any measurements. :)
Last edited by: Garagelab: Sep 12, 22 13:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
However, if these are taken in rapid succession, it is odd.

Considering this was at rest, it does not seem that sweat contamination is likely, so very odd values.

Unfortunately, this is the only way to know and why we keep detailed records. For years I did this in a JCAHO certified lab (when we were using YSI 2300's) , which was maddening at times, but worth it at the end of the day.

I'm actually reviewing our episode on "Perception and Performance" coming out on Thursday the 15th.

Well thanks for getting back to me. Yes, the ones at rest were the ones that really threw me off.

I suspect something may have been squirrely, but at this point, I don't even have the meter!

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll be on the lookout for the next episode!
Quote Reply
Re: Lactate.com-BUYER BEWARE [Garagelab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garagelab wrote:
You have to use the control solutions or else the meter won't work correctly. I'm pretty sure the instructions to the meter say to calibrate the meter every time you open a new container of strips and/or weekly (or if dropped).

My own experience has been great over the past two years. I've gone through about 250 strips and only 1 bad sample.

The control solutions have a shelf life, too.

It's always a good idea to make sure your equipment is calibrated and zeroed before you make any measurements. :)

Understood. If there were issues with calibration or control solutions, seems like a few emails could clear it up. Still sucks getting ghosted.

Live and learn(just not about my own lactate levels).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the point is that he was ghosted and does not have a meter, not whether he did the tests correctly. He may well have done all of them wrong, but it’s irrelevant at this time.

Hope you get your money back or at least a working unit.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Lactate.com-BUYER BEWARE [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can understand that. The apparent ghosting is not very professional.

However, I feel that the post is a bit over-the-top and my experience with Lactate.com is not what was represented here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the ghosting is LAME for sure.

I still cant figure out why control fluid doesnt come in the 1 person package deal, its 100% needed. Add 25 bucks and put it in the box.

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garagelab wrote:
I can understand that. The apparent ghosting is not very professional.

However, I feel that the post is a bit over-the-top and my experience with Lactate.com is not what was represented here.

What does your experience have to do with mine? Are you going to pay me my $400 that Jerry took?

What's over the top is this guy took me for $400. That's what's over the top. I didn't say don't test lactate. I said don't buy from Jerry.

And the ghosting isn't apparent. It's real. I can post the emails that remain unanswered if you need me to clear it up for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you file a chargeback on your credit card to get the $$ back?
Quote Reply
Re: Lactate.com-BUYER BEWARE [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
Can you file a chargeback on your credit card to get the $$ back?

I considered it, but I don't think it applies here. I received the meter that I paid for. Unfortunately, it was only when I returned it for inspection that I was ghosted. As such, I don't think the credit card companies should be involved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You bought something, it didn’t work

That’s 100% covered under protection under the CC (assuming w/in the time window)

Unless of course there’s more to this story than you’re sharing
Quote Reply
Re: Lactate.com-BUYER BEWARE [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
You bought something, it didn’t work

That’s 100% covered under protection under the CC (assuming w/in the time window)

Unless of course there’s more to this story than you’re sharing

I never knew that, I figured once I had the product the issue was with the vendor. There's no more to the story than I've shared, so I'll contact Amex to see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dcohss wrote:
At this point, I’m over lactate testing.

Why?
Quote Reply
Re: Lactate.com-BUYER BEWARE [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The proverbial bloom is off the rose I guess. Whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garagelab wrote:

I've definitely been instrumental in pulling this off the intended topic, however, I think this might need to be cleared up.

AFAIK, the control solutions only verify correct calibration of the device. I do not believe that the control solutions influence the meter in any manner as implied. (E.g. The meter does not update it's calibration based on the control solution).

I would love to know if my understanding is not correct.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've certainly helped derail, myself.

I wish I could confirm exactly how the device works. I only know my experience with the device.....

My first 3 samples with the meter were bad. When I first received the meter, at my dinner table my partner and I were at 5+ mmol/l and we were just sitting there. Obviously those readings were suspect, unless he and I were both suffering from lactic acidosis.

Then I thought...why am I taking measurements when I haven't calibrated the device yet. So, I used the hi and lo solutions and retested. I was at about 0.9 mmol/l and my partner was around 1.1 mmol/l.

To me, that is an indicator that the control solution is required for use. The instructions state the control solutions should be use when first operating the device. It doesn't state that the solutions are required, however.

I would liken using the control solution to using O2/CO2 calibration gas on a metabolic cart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that it matters, but regarding the Lactate Plus that I purchased, here is a snippet from Jerry's email to me dated 7/12/22:

"There are no calibrating methods. They are not considered necessary."

Would recommend looking elsewhere if you need or want to buy a meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That website looks very sketchy to me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is your exact process of taking a sample in a stepwise fashion. Have you tested the meter with the control substance?
Quote Reply
Re: Lactate.com-BUYER BEWARE [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
That website looks very sketchy to me

I don't know about the website, but the business is absolutely sketchy.
Quote Reply
Re: Lactate.com-BUYER BEWARE [mtstanek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtstanek wrote:
what is your exact process of taking a sample in a stepwise fashion. Have you tested the meter with the control substance?

My exact protocol was the following:

1. Wipe pinky dry
2. Wipe area with alcohol wipe
3. Stick finger
4. Wipe away first drop with 2 x 2
5. Expel next drop onto test strip

I received this advice in an email dated 7/12/22 from Jerry:

"To eliminate the most frequent cause of erratic readings, please do the following which may sound trivial but has to be done first to eliminate the most common cause for inconsistent readings.

Wash your hands with soap and water. Lactate is colorless, harmless, odorless and tasteless and because of this no one is aware that it is on their body especially on their hands. But it accumulates all over the body during the day due to normal processes. So it has to be eliminated as a possible cause

Then use an alcohol pad to sterilize the site. Use a damp/dry towel to wipe the site and then dry it. Proceed to take a reading.

Take 2-3 resting lactate readings and let me know what they are. We will send you a box of test strips for your use.

There are no calibrating methods. They are not considered necessary.

If the above does not eliminate the erratic readings, then we will try something else."

I followed my protocol, the thing was wonky. I followed Jerry's protocol and the thing was still wonky. I did not test the meter with a control solution, I sent it back to the manufacturer. And then they ghosted me.

As I said above, I don't care anymore and have no interest in lactate testing or the protocols used. But if someone on this site is looking for a meter, they should buy it elsewhere, that's all.
Quote Reply