Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dress code - work around [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
I wonder how body image factors into this sort of discussion. We talk a lot about the danger of body image problems with women, and young women in particular, but we simultaneously see tighter and more revealing clothes that would seem to me to highlight every potential body image issue a girl could have.

I kind of feel like I should just get her a shirt that says

I’m 12 you dirty perv.

I’m certain that’s not in dress code though.
Quote Reply
Re: Dress code - work around [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
As usual, I'll sit on the fence on this topic.

First off, I'd say the ones in the link sent would be good to go. My 15 yo daughter lives in leggings and has plenty that look like that.

I do also understand why the change. I have often remarked to my wife that I'm glad girls didn't dress like that when I was in HS with raging hormones. It would be distracting.

I would imagine that girls did dress in a way that was designed to make you notice them. At my time in high school it was painted on skinny jeans. 80s style where you needed a team to get them on. I wouldn't say they meant to be provocative, however, I remember a few certain girls looked FANTASTIC in those jeans. It won't matter what the girls wear, the boys will notice. Schools need to get over this and stop treating the girls different than the boys. For instance, in many schools it is perfectly fine for the males to go topless in gym class. Sometimes in clear sight of the girls....why is that allowed?
Quote Reply
Re: Dress code - work around [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
svennn wrote:

First off, I'd say the ones in the link sent would be good to go. My 15 yo daughter lives in leggings and has plenty that look like that.

I do also understand why the change. I have often remarked to my wife that I'm glad girls didn't dress like that when I was in HS with raging hormones. It would be distracting.

I would imagine that girls did dress in a way that was designed to make you notice them. At my time in high school it was painted on skinny jeans. 80s style where you needed a team to get them on. I wouldn't say they meant to be provocative, however, I remember a few certain girls looked FANTASTIC in those jeans. It won't matter what the girls wear, the boys will notice. Schools need to get over this and stop treating the girls different than the boys. For instance, in many schools it is perfectly fine for the males to go topless in gym class. Sometimes in clear sight of the girls....why is that allowed?

In my experience girls and boys don't react the same to nudity of the opposite sex (or the same sex, for that matter). That is likely part of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Dress code - work around [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
M~ wrote:
svennn wrote:

In my experience girls and boys don't react the same to nudity of the opposite sex (or the same sex, for that matter). That is likely part of it.

I think thats mostly it. Testosterone levels and sex drive.

Females at that age have ranges < 7-75
Makes at that age have ranges < 7-1200

That’s why we don’t see the same reaction from the lions share of young females to male physical features. And it’s just reality. No changing that. Despite how much you tell a man to just accept it or teach them to not look. Yea ok ::rye roll::

Take into account the flooding of female booties and bikinis and sexualization on social media and it’s no secret why modern tight leggings are a distraction for young males.

Hell, there’s simply less modesty in general. No hiding anything nowadays. Another big change I’ve seen in the gym is total up front (pun intended) and carefree camel toes. No attempt at covering up or leaving anything to the imagination.

And there’s nothing wrong with that. Just stop pretending like guys won’t stare and be distracted.
Quote Reply
Re: Dress code - work around [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
M~ wrote:
svennn wrote:

That’s why we don’t see the same reaction from the lions share of young females to male physical features. And it’s just reality. No changing that. Despite how much you tell a man to just accept it or teach them to not look. Yea ok ::rye roll::

Take into account the flooding of female booties and bikinis and sexualization on social media and it’s no secret why modern tight leggings are a distraction for young males.

Hell, there’s simply less modesty in general. No hiding anything nowadays. Another big change I’ve seen in the gym is total up front (pun intended) and carefree camel toes. No attempt at covering up or leaving anything to the imagination.

And there’s nothing wrong with that. Just stop pretending like guys won’t stare and be distracted.

Out of curiosity is there an outfit a female can wear to not be stared at in the gym? My experience says there is not- but I’m curious what you think.

If there’s going to be staring regardless why not just wear what works best to workout in?

I love my Peloton in my basement! Gyms are just stressful with randos thinking you want to be hit on. That and business travel were the places I wore a fake engagement ring when I was single. I highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: Dress code - work around [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
M~ wrote:
svennn wrote:

Out of curiosity is there an outfit a female can wear to not be stared at in the gym? My experience says there is not- but I’m curious what you think.

If there’s going to be staring regardless why not just wear what works best to workout in?

I love my Peloton in my basement! Gyms are just stressful with randos thinking you want to be hit on. That and business travel were the places I wore a fake engagement ring when I was single. I highly recommend it.

Let’s take two women, or even the same woman with two similar but different outfits.

Basic leggings and a sports bra

Other outfit is leggings where they literally go up the ass crack and the sports bra is very low cut and lots of mesh.

Which one do you think will get more states?

The funny thing is I had this identical situation in my office yesterday.

Younger girl in the morning (more modest outfit) and older (30s) crossfitter in the afternoon with tight booty shorts and a revealing sports bra.

There are differences.
Quote Reply
Re: Dress code - work around [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
M~ wrote:
svennn wrote:

Let’s take two women, or even the same woman with two similar but different outfits.

Other outfit is leggings where they literally go up the ass crack and the sports bra is very low cut and lots of mesh.

Younger girl in the morning (more modest outfit) and older (30s) crossfitter in the afternoon with tight booty shorts and a revealing sports bra.

There are differences.

Assuming you mean stares. Women should be allowed to wear whatever the f they want regardless of much of a "hard time" it is for anyone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
M~ wrote:
svennn wrote:

There are differences.

Assuming you mean stares. Women should be allowed to wear whatever the f they want regardless of much of a "hard time" it is for anyone else.

Outside of the school dress code discussed in the OP, I don't think we're talking about women not being allowed to wear what they want. We're just discussing the inevitable reactions to what they choose.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
M~ wrote:
svennn wrote:

There are differences.

Nowhere did I say they shouldn't be allowed to wear anything. I simply said there is a reality that certain things will generate more attention and it's silly to expect otherwise.

When you go out in public, all bets are off. You cannot wear revealing clothing in public and then also be shocked that people stare.

Likewise, its silly to expect young males on or past the cusp of hormones and sexuality to just simply not stare at their female counterparts who are accentuating certain body parts.

We can agree that acting on urges is not to be tolerated but I'm almost certain its silly to expect a young boy to not be distracted by what we're talking about.
Quote Reply
Re: Dress code - work around [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
I wonder how body image factors into this sort of discussion. We talk a lot about the danger of body image problems with women, and young women in particular, but we simultaneously see tighter and more revealing clothes that would seem to me to highlight every potential body image issue a girl could have.

This is a great comment. I also feel there is a massive desire to fit in and seek validation in the face of pressure to look a certain way.
Quote Reply
Re: Dress code - work around [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
M~ wrote:
svennn wrote:

It depends on how attractive she is.
Quote Reply

Prev Next