Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Messi as a u8 or u9
Quote | Reply
https://twitter.com/.../1559973977023336448

The most telling part of this for me is seeing him at :55 face down a keeper 1 v 1 and drop the pass to his wing for the easy finish. That kind of vision and unselfishness is rarely seen at that age.

What a talent. If God ever kissed anything, it was Messi's left foot.
Quote Reply
Re: Messi as a u8 or u9 [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His winger was offside.
As a long time rugby player, soccer still annoys me. Nice to see he celebrates his goals like a jerk at 7 or 8 years old.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's took a very keen eye to see, but some of us discerning soccer connoisseurs could tell that kid had potential. [/pink]
Quote Reply
Re: Messi as a u8 or u9 [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's took a very keen eye to see, but some of us discerning soccer connoisseurs could tell that kid had potential.

I think most pro soccer players could have videos of them destroying their peers at early ages. Same with most pro-guards/wings in the NBA.
Quote Reply
Re: Messi as a u8 or u9 [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
His winger was offside.
As a long time rugby player, soccer still annoys me. Nice to see he celebrates his goals like a jerk at 7 or 8 years old.

Do they enforce offsides in kids' games? That seems like it would happen almost every trip down and would take a lot of teaching to get kids to figure it out.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
Nice to see he celebrates his goals like a jerk at 7 or 8 years old.

Don't watch/follow bike racing much eh? Wheelies, supermans, aloha arm waves, shushes.

I always see these anti celebration comments and just think how fun someone must be to be around. If we're talking full on choreographed NFL touchdown campfire or bowling pin prank celebrations........sure. But c'mon.
Quote Reply
Re: Messi as a u8 or u9 [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Do they enforce offsides in kids' games? That seems like it would happen almost every trip down and would take a lot of teaching to get kids to figure it out.

Yes they do. Nowadays, at this age, there is a specific line on the field called a buildout line, between the midline and the 18. Offside can only occur beyond that line.

Kids can actuallly learn this pretty quickly if it is taught to them and the earlier the better. Both my kids are center halves, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen them throw up a hand while playing to indicate offside. I go back to the video and I can't remember a time they weren't right. It's freaky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
sonofdad wrote:
His winger was offside.

I don't remember when it started with my kids but I don't think it was until much later, maybe around age 11 or 12?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That second passage of play when he takes the ball down out of the air is pure quality. Sure lots of little kids can dribble well at that age but I doubt many have a touch like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Messi as a u8 or u9 [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
sonofdad wrote:

Don't watch/follow bike racing much eh? Wheelies, supermans, aloha arm waves, shushes.

I always see these anti celebration comments and just think how fun someone must be to be around. If we're talking full on choreographed NFL touchdown campfire or bowling pin prank celebrations........sure. But c'mon.

I'm moderately fun to be around, just not when it comes to soccer.
Maybe it is different if everyone is a professional, but I could ask the same question of a kid who is miles above his peers, and makes a big deal of rubbing it in.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: Messi as a u8 or u9 [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
That second passage of play when he takes the ball down out of the air is pure quality. Sure lots of little kids can dribble well at that age but I doubt many have a touch like that.

Sublime. Looks like Ronaldinho here:

https://twitter.com/.../1559947916084711427

It's one thing to see kids dominate because of advanced size, speed or strength. This is a different matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
sonofdad wrote:

Maybe it is different if everyone is a professional, but I could ask the same question of a kid who is miles above his peers, and makes a big deal of rubbing it in.

That doesn't mean they're developmentally miles above their peers, it's a ball sport. Not savant chess league. The game is being played by an immature kid around other immature kids.

They're also likely making fart jokes on the sidelines and picking their noses.

A child being happy they did something cool?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

It's one thing to see kids dominate because of advanced size, speed or strength. This is a different matter.

I had to watch this video around 5 times to see how he moved the ball through that dudes legs. I am still not sure I understand what he does to move his ankle like that. I guess its push the ball with the outside of the foot. Let it get in front, and cut it back with inside.

Regarding the kids celebrating. In games where my kid is dominating. I let them get in one celebration, and then act like they have been there. If this is a close game, then sure have it.
Last edited by: sosayusall: Aug 18, 22 12:47
Quote Reply
Re: Messi as a u8 or u9 [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
sonofdad wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
sonofdad wrote:

That doesn't mean they're developmentally miles above their peers, it's a ball sport. Not savant chess league. The game is being played by an immature kid around other immature kids.

They're also likely making fart jokes on the sidelines and picking their noses.

A child being happy they did something cool?

Not to mention emulating what they see on TV. Scoring a goal in soccer is relatively rare, so I think that accounts for the big celebrations. It seems like it's almost never taken as rubbing it in to the opponent unless it's fairly obvious you're trying to antagonize them or their fans.
Quote Reply
Re: Messi as a u8 or u9 [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's called an elastico.

At full speed it is a ridiculous and potentially embarrassing change of direction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Offside is enforced in U10 and older.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Dinho Gaucho is and always will be my favorite footballer. There was something unreal about watching him. The pure joy on his face I think is what always resonated with me. On top of his otherworldly talent.

This is a great clip overlaying footage of Ronaldinho as a kid with him as an adult. I would watch these Joga Bonito clips for hours on repeat.

Also incredible to see the greats play as youths…two yutes?

https://m.youtube.com/...amp;feature=emb_logo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bad goaltending. LOL. He didn't cut down the angle very well. I was goalie for my town's travel team at that age.

At that age I was scoring up to 9 goals a game in house league hockey. I could basically deke out a whole team. However if I was in travel hockey I likely would have been quite ordinary I think,. No way to know as my parents were not letting me into travel hockey.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply