Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2022 USAT AGNC Male Overall Winner Race Report
Quote | Reply
Hi All! I enjoyed doing a race report after my overall win at 70.3 Blue Ridge, and with Age Group Nationals being my other main objective of the season, it seemed fitting to write up another report. I tend to write myself novels during my TrainingPeaks comments anyway, so this definitely won't be wasted effort 🙃. My name's Matt Guenter, I am a 25 year old from Reading, PA, now living in Boulder, Colorado, working full time as an engineer for Lockheed Martin. I average 15-20 hrs/week of swim/bike/run + Strength on most weeks, and am 5'11" and 162 lbs if you're curious for power stuff.

I won't get too into the motivation/backstory leading into my race - I summed that up in my instagram post pretty succinctly. However, I will say when I raced AGNC in 2018, I realized I really wanted to win this race, and such has been the main goal since that point. I've been doing triathlon for about 6 years now, come from a water polo/swimming background, and dabbled in track a bit in high school too.

The main objective for the weekend was day one's Olympic Distance, with a regard for Day 2 only coming after Day 1 was complete. I knew with my skillset, to win this race I had to again go from the gun. The swim went pretty well, in my opinion. One week before the race, I did a 500yd time trial, at altitude from a push. I went 4:58.8, so knew that the swimming fitness was there enough to have a good swim. The time was a bit slower than I anticipated - 18:10, being almost 30s slower than last year when I know I have much better fitness - but I chalk it up to being a slightly longer course. I'm not sure if I had the fastest swim time - there are a few times ahead of me, but they don't seem to be accurate.

Swim file: https://www.strava.com/.../7592868275/overview

Bike - where I really felt like I had put the work in over the last 4 years. The goal was to average just over 300 watts, which would hopefully give me a split of around 26.8mph. I hadn't done the measurements on the course differences from last year to this year, but I figured it would be around the same time. It ended up being a bit longer and slower of a bike course, with one extra u-turn and still some bad pavement, though not as bad as 2021. I ended up averaging 296w (after taking out the final descent back to T2) and 27.0mph. I've made a lot of minor aero gains over the last year, which definitely added up to make it a faster bike split. I did end up with the fastest bike split, which was a huge accomplishment - 6 years ago, I had no idea what the difference between a TT bike and a road bike was, and now I had the fastest bike split at a national championships race.

Bike file: https://www.strava.com/.../7593652701/overview

Run - so many times when I race, I run looking over my shoulder (metaphorically and physically). With my run being the weakest leg, I'm always scared of people running me down. However, this year, I really tried to focus on just running my own race. The goal was to run 5:35s, and the first two miles were 5:25/5:32 - which had felt pretty comfortable. However, the heat/humidity (probably 85*) started to get to me. The next four miles were 5:42, 45, 43, and 48. Heat is usually my great limiter - I struggle greatly in it, and it definitely affected me here. However, running just 4s/mile slower than the plan is definitely a success - on a better weather day (like day 2), I think I would've been right around 5:30 pace.

Run file: https://www.strava.com/.../7592870897/overview

Overall, I finished with a time of 1:51:41, granting me the overall win by 3:46. It was a tough day out there for a lot of people due to the heat, but I was able to put together 3 great legs and grab the overall title.

After talking to Todd Buckingham of EMJ at the awards ceremony on Saturday night, I had little confidence that we would race on Sunday due to the expected rain & thunderstorms. I woke early on Sunday to do my typical 9:00 pace 5 minute stumble, and went outside to a downpour of rain. This did nothing to inspire confidence in the prospect of having a race, and I finished that 5 minute jog happy with winning the Olympic, but not confident in being able to go for the double. 20 minutes later, we got the alert from USAT that we would race, with the distances being cut in half. I quickly had to get back into a mental headspace of being ready to race, but the shortened distances were good for me. My best swimming/cycling/running numbers are all ~5 minutes, so the shorter the triathlon, the better for me.

After a chaotic last hour before the gun, I lined up in the first wave of the 20-29 start (it was changed to a Time Trial start, with 4 people starting every 5 seconds). The swim was pretty crazy - I used some old water polo skills to finesse my way through the 15-19 stragglers, and exited the water with a 4:07 swim split. I don't know how accurate my file is here - but I will say I was swimming pretty quickly!

Swim file: https://www.strava.com/.../7598109985/overview

Onto the 15 minute bike - with no reason to hold anything back, I put down some great power here. I averaged ~320 for the portions outside of putting shoes on/taking them off, which was good enough for a 27.7mph average and the fastest bike split again. I had a great T2 (which is much more important in a super sprint than an olympic), and took off on the run.

Bike file: https://www.strava.com/.../7598525635/overview

Motivated to get the double, and knowing that I put together two great legs again to start the run, I let loose. By the turnaround I could tell I was likely to win my AG, but the Time Trial start made things (even more) complicated trying to know what I had to do in the overall. The 30+ guys had yet to even start, so I made sure to run all the way through the finish line, averaging 5:11 for the 2.5km.

Run file: https://www.strava.com/.../7598110025/overview

I ended with another victory, totaling 29:29 to Todd's (2nd place) 30:30. It completed a truly dream weekend, as I thought I was capable of doing the double, but not this convincingly. A race report isn't the best place to thank people, but this weekend was a true team effort, from my family, to friends, to training partners who make those 6am swims just a bit better. I can say with 100% conviction that it would not have been this good, or fun, of a weekend without all of them.

Since I know someone will ask - no, I don't know if I will go pro just yet. There are a few reasons - not many short course racing opportunities at the pro field, want to continue refining my run, and the opportunity to perform well at Amateur Worlds, but the truth is I just haven't thought about it yet. I was fully focused on this race, and will let the next few months (including 70.3 Worlds) happen before I decide what to do next year.

Happy to answer any questions/comments - hope you enjoyed the report!

Matt Guenter
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 USAT AGNC Male Overall Winner Race Report [abundant_pasta_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats. I was in the PSU Tri club 98 to 01 and happy to see club members are still winning national championships. I was never fast but remember riding with Paul F before he won his title and just how effortlessly he was cruising on a fast ride the week before.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 USAT AGNC Male Overall Winner Race Report [abundant_pasta_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the great performance. You might have answered these on instagram, but I'm not on social media so if you don't mind answering them here...

You mentioned your athletic background involved dabbling in track - what were your events and times?

What is your FTP if you down mind sharing? Side note, kind of interesting that your cadence was exactly the same for both races (92).

Which race felt more painful? Sprint was only ~1/4 the distance due to the shortened course, but you were pushing `25 watts more on the bike and running ~30 seconds faster per mile.

Do you have any recent open 5K, 10K, or Half Marathon times? Curious how the run splits from the race match up with those.

Do you have a coach or are you self-coached?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 USAT AGNC Male Overall Winner Race Report [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny first 3 now 4 posts are Matt’s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good racing last weekend!

How much (if any) of a difference in power/pace at a given effort near sea level (Milwaukee) versus Boulder? If it is significant, did that change your approach to training and race preparation compared to if your main objective race was at altitude?

I'm curious because I'm in the Boulder area too and I see about 8-10% power increase and :10-:15/mile pace increase near sea level.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 USAT AGNC Male Overall Winner Race Report [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Track events/times: I ran track junior and senior year. Junior year, 6 weeks after starting, I ran 4:34/2:01 in 1600/800. Senior year I ran 4:37 3 weeks in, but was injured the following Monday and never got to complete the season.
1b. Swimming times - I was a 4:34/1:41.8 in the 500/200, if you're curious about those too

2. FTP - I talked about it more in my Blue Ridge post, (can access it by clicking my profile), but I think FTP is a weird stat. However, I'd assume I'm about 325w in aero, at sea level right now. I held 342w for a 30 minute climb at an average altitude of 6500ft 10 days before the race.

3. Which race was more painful? Easily the olympic. Miles 3-6 on the run required a lot of mental stamina. If the weather would've been the same, I'm not sure. The sprint suits my abilities better in my opinion, and I think I was still riding a confidence wave from day 1.

4. Only times I have is from a track 5k in March (at sea level). I was 16:05.5. I believe I am in ~15:45 5k shape right now (at sea level).

5. No coach 😊 - I had a coach (Cody Moore, Forever Endurance) for 2 years, and he was fantastic. Decided to do my own thing around when Covid started, and have been enjoying it ever since. I definitely have a ton of structure still, but I like being able to adjust on the fly when I feel good/bad/etc. I follow a Norwegian style with lots and lots of easy riding/running, a decent amount of sweet spot/double threshold days, and a few hard efforts sprinkled in. Main thing is just being consistent and showing up for the last 4 years, especially the last 20 months.

6. Altitude to sea level adjustment: I usually estimate 8% on the bike, and ~10s/mile running (maybe 15s/mile for a half marathon split). Not super scientific, but that's usually what it is for me.

Matt Guenter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job man and well written race reports! Always great to see fellow engineer triathletes doing well. I worked as an aero engineer for Lockheed up until a few years ago. It’s a great job to have time to train too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kinda silly question, but how important were transitions for you in both races, especially the sprint race being so short. Do you do flying mounts, and if so, how much or often do you practice them prior to a race? There's a lot of videos on youtube of people failing at them so curious how confident you feel going into a race with the transition process in general and what it takes to get to that point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very impressive racing! Saturday was brutal, even earlier morning. Only being a few seconds slower on the run is great.

We need to not let Todd “Gloomy” Buckingham get us down. I think he was making those predictions to everyone on Saturday to thin the field for Sunday…

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job and great report.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 USAT AGNC Male Overall Winner Race Report [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on LM being a great place to work while still having time to train. Government contracts make it that only very special occasions am I working >40 hrs/week, so I usually have enough time to put the hours in that I need to.

Transitions - they are important for sure. I've gotten pretty good at T1, though I'm still learning to dial it back a tad at altitude because it takes a lot out of you to really sprint into T1. A quick wetsuit strip has taken practice, but I've gotten better. I did do socks in T2 for the olympic, and did not have a very good transition. For Day 2, I knew it would be much more important to T2 quickly, so no socks + faster overall progress in transition area led to almost 30s faster than day 1.

I don't practice transitions very much anymore - I should do it more honestly. I always do flying dismounts, and while I don't have the cleanest flying mount, I do get on the bike and get going okay for non-draft races.

As for the weather predictions - I thought the same as Todd.. I've had enough cancelled swims to be pessimistic about USAT 🙄

Matt Guenter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So first off congratulations on your victories.

I'm really curious as to the difference in your bike times vs. my own. This isn't a difference I expect you to address or care about its more for me.

I raced 45-49 AG and am in no way a OA competitor. Im a poor swimmer (1:33 pace) and average at best runner (6:30 pace). I am how ever a pretty strong cyclist.

I am 5'10" and 160lbs. So very close to you in size. 2lbs on any given day seems negligible. I put out 292 watts @ 25.06 mph on day 1. I really need to work on my aero I guess because on paper I should be right with you but was over 3 minutes slower on the bike.

On day 2 I did 343 watts but only averaged 23.49mph. I had more power at a lower weight and yet was 4mph slower. Crazy. For what its worth I do a flying mount and dismount well enough.

Im leaving time on the course clearly.
Last edited by: Motoarch: Aug 15, 22 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 USAT AGNC Male Overall Winner Race Report [Motoarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Motoarch wrote:

On day 2 I did 343 watts but only averaged 23.49mph. I had more power at a lower weight and yet was 4mph slower. Crazy. For what its worth I do a flying mount and dismount well enough.

Im leaving time on the course clearly.

Your power meter is way off. You should realistically be able to do that mph off that power while sitting up on a road bike.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Motoarch [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not trying to argue, but are you sure? Something seems way off. You put out way more watts in day 2 but we're slower. You sure your PM is accurate?

Any chance you had brake run going on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would offer that W/kg is a way overrated and almost useless metric for a flat triathlon. My first suggestion would be to look at your position. I don't put out many more raw watts than I did even 4 years ago - but my position is much more aero. Going to a bike fitter and getting a streamlined position is the #1 thing you can do to get faster.

Other things to consider - marginal gains add up. Not sure what equipment you're using, but here's a short list of gear/choices I use on my bike to help make me faster. I put an estimate of watt savings (can't be added cumulatively, but still a good rough estimate of savings).

For context, based on the math I've seen, for my position, 1w = 1.1 seconds saved 10km. So, 10 watts = 44 seconds over 10km - not minor at all.
-Aerocoach Disc Wheel (7w vs 80mm Bontrager wheel)
-UFO Chain Lube (3-4w)
-Shaved Legs (8-10w)
-Giro Aerohead TT (~3w over my old aero helmet is the number I used)
-Aero Kit (anywhere from 5-20w over a non-aero suit/skin (probably the best upgrade for the money)
-Continental GP 5000 (Depends on what you're changing to it from - but from Gatorskins, it's 9w (for each tire!!) so 9w x 2tires x 4.4s/40km = 80 seconds!!!)

I almost never got out of aero during either race - only when going around the u-turns. Going up all hills I stayed in aero since I was still going 19-20mph.

Hopefully all that helps!

Matt Guenter
Last edited by: abundant_pasta_: Aug 16, 22 4:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I appreciate your input. I'll probably start with a fit.

I had one done on my old bike.l but it had a much more aggressive fit than current one. I never had the new one fit I just tried to take measurements off the old bike but it's not the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
abundant_pasta_ wrote:
1. Track events/times: I ran track junior and senior year. Junior year, 6 weeks after starting, I ran 4:34/2:01 in 1600/800. Senior year I ran 4:37 3 weeks in, but was injured the following Monday and never got to complete the season.
1b. Swimming times - I was a 4:34/1:41.8 in the 500/200, if you're curious about those too

I believe you swam at Penn State for a little while?

For accuracy sake: I believe you were 1:41.9 You have to wait a full decade before you can start shaving time off your PRs.

IN all seriousness: did you swim club? I kind of think no. Which I find very interesting.

Good luck and good job!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you measuring the speed from your GPS unit/watch? or from the USAT app results?
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 USAT AGNC Male Overall Winner Race Report [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
abundant_pasta_ wrote:

I believe you swam at Penn State for a little while?

For accuracy sake: I believe you were 1:41.9 You have to wait a full decade before you can start shaving time off your PRs.

IN all seriousness: did you swim club? I kind of think no. Which I find very interesting.

Good luck and good job!

Haha way to check my Swimcloud - don't wanna get caught lying about my best times 🙃

I never swam club - which is probably why swimming in college was tough for me, but also may be what has helped me with triathlon (I'm a big fan of David Epstein's 'Range' theory). I played every sport growing up, focusing on water polo once I got into high school (I did play club, mainly at Tiger Aquatics (Princeton area) and my local club (Kingfish)). Water polo definitely remains my first love - but didn't want to move to CA for college to play, and the east coast schools were either 1. More expensive than Penn State for a similar/worse engineering program or 2. Super hard to get into.

In hindsight, glad I went somewhere with a strong triathlon club history!

Matt Guenter
Last edited by: abundant_pasta_: Aug 16, 22 7:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mentioned that you ran track in college for only several weeks before getting injured for the rest of your college years.

What do you do to remain (relatively) injury free? What are the differences compared to your college days?

Thanks very much and congratulations on your double win! Might be time to consider ITU!

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, congratulations on the OV wins! Yes, I've witnessed your speed in the pool--swimming with Bruce D.
I guess it makes me feel better knowing in 2021 I shared the OA podium now with not only Rudy Von Berg, but the future 2022 OA USAT AG champ, when we raced at the 2021 Colorado Triathlon (although you were a lot ahead of me--but nearly 2x your age so we really should age grade that, lol). Fantastic race, that's some serious speed you laid down from the looks of the numbers.

Are you thinking ITU style racing or going 70.3 route or be an "all arounder" type racer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang man, that is sick. I honestly don't know how people can do a double at any race, let alone at nationals. And you go out and crush everyone and win both. Super impressive.

What kind of bike workouts are you doing? Indoor on a platform or mostly outdoor?

I'd love to hear more about your training regimen for bike and run...if you are willing to give away your secrets!

Congrats
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 USAT AGNC Male Overall Winner Race Report [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ejd_mil - I never ran track in college. I ran track & got injured my senior year of high school - which was just due to increasing mileage too quickly coming out of swimming. Best advice to stay injury free is to slow down. I run 8+ min pace on most of my easy days - which is much slower than I used to go. It allows me to go faster on the hard days, and more importantly, stay healthy. I read 'Why I sucked in college' by Wejo (LetsRun) once every few months.

Kevin - thanks!! It was a strong field that day. As for future racing/plans - I wish there was a middle option between ITU & 70.3 racing. Non-draft Olympic distance racing would be my bread & butter, since the swim becomes undervalued as you move up in distance, and my endurance still has some area for growth. As far as ITU goes - I don't think I have the foot speed to be competitive, and breaking into the USAT ranks for that is extremely difficult. USAT seems to have 10-15 people they care about for ITU, with the only real entryway to that coming from Project Podium. I've been frustrated at the DL races I've done for people not working on the bike, but it's just part of the race and I understand the strategy.

littlefoot - Bike workouts are nothing special. 4x4 vO2 or 4x8 at max are the go-tos early in the season. Long sweet spot efforts up in the mountains (total of ~90 minutes near 290-300w, broken into 10-25 minute segments). Things like 8x6 or 10x5 minute efforts in aero (on the trainer, usually) at OD wattage. Overall, I do a ton of endurance riding. Lots of time spent at 170-200w, HR around 115-130. In aero and out of aero, indoors and outdoors.
No secrets on bike or run strategy - my strava is completely public. Triathlon is an aerobic sport - the more you can develop your aerobic capacity, the better you'll do. I follow the 80/20 approach as a framework, so lots of easy/endurance days, sprinkled in with 1-2 bike workouts a week, where I usually do one of the above. Run workouts - tempos (2x20, 4x10, etc) and CV work (6-8 x 800-1k) at CV pace (roughly 10k pace). This year I incorporated more harder bricks, so a combo of 10x5 minutes @ OD wattage followed by 3x2k @ 10k pace (5:30).

To be honest, the 'secrets' of good performance is consistency. I used to read/hear that from other people and glaze over it, figuring I needed to do the one workout they had mentioned more often, and then I was golden. I don't think any of my workouts were crazy or made me achieve the results I have over the past 2 years - it's just been the compilation of the consistency of the past years of training.

Hopefully all that helps!

Matt Guenter
Quote Reply