Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Nextdoor.com [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
every time i'm close to quitting Nextdoor (pretty much every day) a post comes up that leaves me so surprised at human nature that it seems important to stay on, just as a reminder that there's a whole wide world out there . . .

today's star post was a guy who found a pigeon (urban) half dead in his backyard from cat attack. He puts the pigeon in a box, brings it into his home, and asks Nextdoor for help with what to do.

responses: give it water and seeds, call the local wildlife support centre for a volunteer to come take it, "let nature takes its course" [very unpopular, with personal attack on poster in response]

so what the pigeon rescuer does is call the local vet, who tells him they cannot take the bird 'for health and safety reasons'.

Despite that the guy CALLS AN UBER AND SENDS THE PIGEON IN BOX over the vet. He was widely upvoted and hearted for this action. this may become the community standard.

Hopefully the vet office calls the cops due to th delivery of a suspicious package who then calls the bomb squad who then blows up the pigeon.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Nextdoor.com [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
kiki wrote:
every time i'm close to quitting Nextdoor (pretty much every day) a post comes up that leaves me so surprised at human nature that it seems important to stay on, just as a reminder that there's a whole wide world out there . . .

today's star post was a guy who found a pigeon (urban) half dead in his backyard from cat attack. He puts the pigeon in a box, brings it into his home, and asks Nextdoor for help with what to do.

responses: give it water and seeds, call the local wildlife support centre for a volunteer to come take it, "let nature takes its course" [very unpopular, with personal attack on poster in response]

so what the pigeon rescuer does is call the local vet, who tells him they cannot take the bird 'for health and safety reasons'.

Despite that the guy CALLS AN UBER AND SENDS THE PIGEON IN BOX over the vet. He was widely upvoted and hearted for this action. this may become the community standard.

Hopefully the vet office calls the cops due to th delivery of a suspicious package who then calls the bomb squad who then blows up the pigeon.

OK, that made me genuinely laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:

I'm a bit confused, are you saying what the guy did (effectively shifting his problem to the vet) is commendable?

Few items that stood out: that some users would engage in personal attacks, that someone insisting on offloading a problem to others (despite expressly told not to do so) getting positive attention, and that no one/ few commenting seems aware that there's a highly pathogenic avian flu going around, which is what that health and safety reason most likely refers to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:

He was widely upvoted and hearted for this action.

Oh dear. Nothing like dragging out a death and forcing an Uber driver and/or vet to have to kill the bird for you, all the time making others come in contact with possible pathogens.

Though I call BS because I don't think any Uber driver would do any kind of package delivery. That's bad ju-ju to deliver any unknown package.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 17, 22 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: Nextdoor.com [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
kiki wrote:

+1

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Nextdoor.com [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Few items that stood out: that some users would engage in personal attacks

there are more personal attacks and bad will on Nextdoor (which is 80% about lost/found cats) than here. And zero moderation.
Quote Reply
Re: Nextdoor.com [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
kiki wrote:

+1

+1 as well, plus the visual image of a puff of feathers as the box blows up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:

The correct thing to do is hit it with a shovel and end its misery.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Nextdoor.com [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
kiki wrote:

The correct thing to do is hit it with a shovel and end its misery.

That was my thought as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny as hell, all-star, dramatic recreation of an actual conversation on nextdoor:

https://www.youtube.com/...krlgMFwk0&t=619s

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jan 17, 23 11:41
Quote Reply
Re: Nextdoor.com [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This reminds me of a local one where a lady who just moved here was unaware we have wild turkeys and thought someone had lost their turkeys. Perhaps the best post I’ve seen.

Now it’s all I just moved to Colorado and why don’t they plow the roads!!! Over and over and over. Responded with - they have never plowed residential streets on the front range - get better tires and wait for the sun.
Quote Reply
Re: Nextdoor.com [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Funny as hell, all-star, dramatic recreation of an actual conversation on nextdoor:

https://www.youtube.com/...krlgMFwk0&t=619s

Clever.

And unfortunately accurate.

My wife would let Kevin Bacon come "capture it" anytime....

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Nextdoor.com [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
This reminds me of a local one where a lady who just moved here was unaware we have wild turkeys and thought someone had lost their turkeys. Perhaps the best post I’ve seen.

For some reason this reminds me of an episode the Maine Game Warden reality show they had for a few years. There was a woman who called them because she saw a bald eagle flying overhead and was afraid it was going to swoop down and snatch her baby.
Quote Reply

Prev Next