Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crosswinds (IM70.3 SC): Hed Vanquish RC8/RCD
Quote | Reply
Those with HED Vanquish RC8s (80mm depth)and/or RCD (disc wheel): how do you find their performance in crosswinds?

Background: I recently purchased this wheelset and will be riding them over the next 4 weeks in preparation of IM 70.3 Santa Cruz. I live in the Bay Area, so I should be able to ride under similar conditions to Santa Cruz. I'm moderately proficient at taking crosswinds but have not had to deal with them in a race. 80mm is deep for a front wheel with crosswinds, but I understand the toroidal shape of HED's wheels are helpful under crosswind conditions. So I'm curious if other riders with these rims feel they are manageable in crosswinds for MOP and moderately experienced rider.
Quote Reply
Re: Crosswinds (IM70.3 SC): Hed Vanquish RC8/RCD [nanban_ronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can’t speak to those specific wheels, but I used an 88 front/disk rear last year and had no issues.
Last edited by: ronbizkit: Aug 14, 22 21:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have time to practice with these wheels in similar conditions, then why the question? They won't handle differently in a race. Since handling depends on rider ability, perception, bike geo, fit, etc. your best point of reference will be yourself in practice.
Quote Reply
Re: Crosswinds (IM70.3 SC): Hed Vanquish RC8/RCD [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I'm curious to hear thoughts now, rather than waiting a few weeks and forming an opinion by race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nanban_ronin wrote:
Those with HED Vanquish RC8s (80mm depth)and/or RCD (disc wheel): how do you find their performance in crosswinds?

The first time, well other than down the street and back, that I rode this set up was in a race that had some exposed sections. Only once, coming down a long exposed bridge did I think about it, yet it wasn't with worry.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nanban_ronin wrote:

Background: I recently purchased this wheelset and will be riding them over the next 4 weeks in preparation of IM 70.3 Santa Cruz. I live in the Bay Area, so I should be able to ride under similar conditions to Santa Cruz. I'm moderately proficient at taking crosswinds but have not had to deal with them in a race. 80mm is deep for a front wheel with crosswinds, but I understand the toroidal shape of HED's wheels are helpful under crosswind conditions. So I'm curious if other riders with these rims feel they are manageable in crosswinds for MOP and moderately experienced rider.

It's pretty windy in the Bay right now. Just go out and ride and feel 20+ mph crosswind
Quote Reply
Re: Crosswinds (IM70.3 SC): Hed Vanquish RC8/RCD [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
If you have time to practice with these wheels in similar conditions, then why the question? They won't handle differently in a race. Since handling depends on rider ability, perception, bike geo, fit, etc. your best point of reference will be yourself in practice.

Strong crosswinds can even be spookier in normal traffic with cars when you have to stay on a small strip between the shoulder and the passing cars. In the race without other traffic you‘re more confident.
Anyway, I always ride my front 808 with two exceptions: Kona and Lanzarote, where I mount a 4,5 cm on the front. The rear doesn‘t matter: I rode my disk in Lanzarote.
Quote Reply