Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bicycle Rolling Resistance: Michelin Power Cup
Quote | Reply
Looks like we've got another set of quick tires out there. Anyone have any experience with these (coming from someone who has never ridden Michelin).

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/michelin-power-cup-tlr

Edit: Just noticed the recommendation for mounting this on rims with 15 - 17 mm inner width...which makes this not suitable for me anyway.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Jun 15, 22 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Rolling Resistance: Michelin Power Cup [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Looks like we've got another set of quick tires out there. Anyone have any experience with these (coming from someone who has never ridden Michelin).

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/michelin-power-cup-tlr

Edit: Just noticed the recommendation for mounting this on rims with 15 - 17 mm inner width...which makes this not suitable for me anyway.

That recommendation is based on the narrowness of the tread relative to the casing, and the possibility that you might be off the tread if you're leaned way over in a hard corner. Seems more of a crit-racing or kamikaze road bike descending issue than a triathlon leg issue.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Rolling Resistance: Michelin Power Cup [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://imgur.com/a/aUBfxIj

That's 28mm on 17mm rims.

I found this review that seems to have the 25mm on 21mm rims. Looking at the pics: https://www.3bikes.fr/...-michelin-power-cup/

Specifically: https://i0.wp.com/....jpg?w=600&ssl=1

...that seems like a non-issue? You'd need extreme lean to get outside that tread.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Rolling Resistance: Michelin Power Cup [Garff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My personal concern would be the ballooning of the tire causing the tire to bulge around the rim.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Rolling Resistance: Michelin Power Cup [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
My personal concern would be the ballooning of the tire causing the tire to bulge around the rim.

You mean my 28mm on 17mm pic? The bike was delivered with that config, FWIW. (Of course not with new Michelins...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AeroCoach has posted data on this tire and it is faster than GP5k S TR. So it's gripper, more puncture resistant, and faster. What an outcome.

Edit: nvm. TLR is the same as S TR. The clincher version with latex is faster.
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Aug 12, 22 21:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 sets of Power Cup (28mm TLR on my road bike, 25mm on TT). I fell in love with these tires, ooooh they're smoooooooooooth.
I've got the 28mm on a set of zipp 303 (25mm inner width) and the 25mm on firecrest 808 (18mm inner width).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know how these compare with the michelin pro4 v2 endurance?

I’ve always been a fan of this michelin tire line for 15 years -> krylion carbon to endurance to endurance v2. These power cup seem to have a lot of the puncture resistance of those tires but now in a better rolling resistance/performance format. If they have roughly the same puncture resistance I’d be willing to give them a shot.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Rolling Resistance: Michelin Power Cup [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:

Edit: nvm. TLR is the same as S TR. The clincher version with latex is faster.

Only just....the difference between the 25mm versions is, according to Aerocoach all of 0.000114, or 0.1W @ 45KPH.

I don't know what Aerocoach's error bars would be, but I have to imagine that's effectively a tie.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Rolling Resistance: Michelin Power Cup [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

That recommendation is based on the narrowness of the tread relative to the casing, and the possibility that you might be off the tread if you're leaned way over in a hard corner. Seems more of a crit-racing or kamikaze road bike descending issue than a triathlon leg issue.

the photos show
  1. quite a wide textured band down the middle
  2. a shoulder section of seemingly the same tread rubber but not textured
  3. a seam then the sidewall proper

you're not going to touch the sidewall itself at any normal cornering lean, though you might get it close enough to the ground to expose it to gravel and class
the question to me is about that middle section which is very much standard cornering surface - why is it so differentiated from the central area (in the reverse way of what we often see) and what does that mean for grip and protection when cornering?
from what i understand, this pattern of textured centre and smooth shoulder is typically not good aerodynamically either
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Rolling Resistance: Michelin Power Cup [pwai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pwai wrote:
I have 2 sets of Power Cup (28mm TLR on my road bike, 25mm on TT). I fell in love with these tires, ooooh they're smoooooooooooth.
I've got the 28mm on a set of zipp 303 (25mm inner width) and the 25mm on firecrest 808 (18mm inner width).

For anyone that owns Michelin Power Cups, why choose these over the Michelin Power TT? Is it mainly to do with higher puncture resistance?
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Rolling Resistance: Michelin Power Cup [nanban_ronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nanban_ronin wrote:
pwai wrote:

For anyone that owns Michelin Power Cups, why choose these over the Michelin Power TT? Is it mainly to do with higher puncture resistance?

Yes. I also own a pair of power TTs, but now I barely use them for longer distances as I found their puncture resistance a bit too light.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Rolling Resistance: Michelin Power Cup [nanban_ronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nanban_ronin wrote:

Yes. This is the point for every TT vs all-rounder choice
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Rolling Resistance: Michelin Power Cup [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
gary p wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

the photos show
  1. quite a wide textured band down the middle
  2. a shoulder section of seemingly the same tread rubber but not textured
  3. a seam then the sidewall proper

you're not going to touch the sidewall itself at any normal cornering lean, though you might get it close enough to the ground to expose it to gravel and class
the question to me is about that middle section which is very much standard cornering surface - why is it so differentiated from the central area (in the reverse way of what we often see) and what does that mean for grip and protection when cornering?
from what i understand, this pattern of textured centre and smooth shoulder is typically not good aerodynamically either

I have this tire and there is no texture on the tread. Are you looking at the right tire?

I am firmly in the camp of "its enough tread" for a majority of riders. It's the same as Corsa Speed and people aren't worried about that one. If Jarno (BRR) hadn't mentioned it, I doubt many would've noticed. However, there are some people who lean past that point on these tires. From another forum:

Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Rolling Resistance: Michelin Power Cup [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those areas with the cord showing look like torque scrub to me, I get them on all my mtb and cross tires that I run at lower pressures.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Rolling Resistance: Michelin Power Cup [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the power cup easier to get on and off than Conti 5000 TL . I can't fix
a flat along the road on conti and the initial install is so miserable. I am looking for
fast tubeless that I can fix far from home or help.
Mark.

Gonna need 3 glow sticks.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle Rolling Resistance: Michelin Power Cup [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theyellowcarguy wrote:
Anyone know how these compare with the michelin pro4 v2 endurance?

I’ve always been a fan of this michelin tire line for 15 years -> krylion carbon to endurance to endurance v2. These power cup seem to have a lot of the puncture resistance of those tires but now in a better rolling resistance/performance format. If they have roughly the same puncture resistance I’d be willing to give them a shot.

Going after some marginal gains this year, so going to finally pull the trigger on some michelin power cup's. Also making the switch to latex tubes. Should be looking at about 5w+ gain on each wheel over michelin endurance v2 with butyl tubes, so that should be pretty significant. Hope puncture resistance is still good enough, but moving away from the desert and all the rando sharp things I feel a bit better running these daily.

Here's the review on the non-tubeless version (aka tube style clincher): https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...s/michelin-power-cup

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply