Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Remember "Duck and Cover" drills during school
Quote | Reply
We did them quite often during the 1960's. (You never knew when those Russkies were going to start lobbing nukes our way.) I'm not sure when they stopped. But times sure have changed.

Three Arizona parents were arrested Friday after scuffling with law enforcement as they tried to get into an elementary school to pick up and "protect" their children during a school lockdown, police said.

Thompson Ranch Elementary School in the Phoenix suburb of El Mirage was locked down for about an hour Friday morning after someone reportedly saw a man with a gun near the school

Three parents, one of whom had a firearm, were arrested on campus, El Mirage police Lt. Jimmy Chavez said during a news conference Friday afternoon. Chavez said the three parents became "confrontational" toward police and officers used a stun gun on two of the individuals.

The suspect, who caused the lockdown, was taken into custody

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/arizona-parents-arrested-tased-trying-to-get-on-campus-to-protect-kids-during-school-lockdown/ar-AA10Dser?cvid=aaf7f0a6196b4ab4ba240ae2de759280

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Remember "Duck and Cover" drills during school [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I remember those drills in the 60s & 70s.

Now there's just way too many people wandering around with guns. Doesn't make me feel safe almost anywhere.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Re: Remember "Duck and Cover" drills during school [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We did drop and cover for earthquake drills in the 70s in California. I don't remember ever doing it for a war drill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I faintly remember them in the 70's. We lived near a Nike missile site and Fairchild AFB wasn't too far away. Loved watching B-52's come and go from there.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Remember "Duck and Cover" drills during school [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2HaveFun wrote:
Now there's just way too many people wandering around with guns.

You see way too many people open carrying firearms? Where do you live?
Quote Reply
Re: Remember "Duck and Cover" drills during school [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Tri2HaveFun wrote:
Now there's just way too many people wandering around with guns.

You see way too many people open carrying firearms? Where do you live?

America
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the early years of primary school I remember doing duck and cover drills. I guess they must have been for nuclear alerts, not sure as I live in Australia.

Fortunately my children have never had to do a duck and cover drill or duck and cover for real because we live in Australia.
Quote Reply
Re: Remember "Duck and Cover" drills during school [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
I faintly remember them in the 70's. We lived near a Nike missile site and Fairchild AFB wasn't too far away. Loved watching B-52's come and go from there.

ETA: What I remember clearly were the sirens around town. No, living in Colorado we have tornado sirens but every time I hear them I think of the missile sirens.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Remember "Duck and Cover" drills during school [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
In the early years of primary school I remember doing duck and cover drills. I guess they must have been for nuclear alerts, not sure as I live in Australia.

Fortunately my children have never had to do a duck and cover drill or duck and cover for real because we live in Australia.

I remember doing them in the 70's in elementary school in Delaware in the US.

My kids did active shooter drills rather than duck and cover.
Quote Reply