Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boulder Reservoir running
Quote | Reply
Looking for some parking advice. I'm dropping off the baby girl at CU Boulder next week to begin my new life as an empty nester. I was hoping to get a run around the reservoir. If I get there around 630-7 am can I park at the trailhead or is there some other place I could park at. Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder Reservoir running [Old lungs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure you can. Day use is $11. Running around the res is meh. There are much better options nearby IMO.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old lungs wrote:
Looking for some parking advice. I'm dropping off the baby girl at CU Boulder next week to begin my new life as an empty nester. I was hoping to get a run around the reservoir. If I get there around 630-7 am can I park at the trailhead or is there some other place I could park at. Thanks in advance

Boulder 70.3 just happened... you can use that run course. As also said, there are better places in Boulder to run... but the reservoir isn't terrible

In search of the righteous life... we all fall down
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder Reservoir running [ckoch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In that case, maybe I'll swim with the masters group there.

Any suggestions for running is welcome. I will need to get a 2 hour run in so about 13-14 miles. We are staying in Westminster.

thx again!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like trail running then Marshal Mesa is close to Westminster, but start early because there's virtually no shade on that trail and it gets hot fearly. Also, congrats on your kid going to CU. I loved my time there! They've got great tri and cycling clubs there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Repeating what others said, there are way better spots to run, but if the reservoir is calling your name, there's a reason a teeny tiny park on the backside is so popular on the weekends (and it's not because of the playground). Look at Tom Watson Park and plan to run clockwise around the res.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming with that group is a better option. Prepare to get humbled lol.

For running … Mesa trail and Betasso Preserve are both fantastic.

Quote Reply
Re: Boulder Reservoir running [swimcyclesprint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimcyclesprint wrote:
Repeating what others said, there are way better spots to run, but if the reservoir is calling your name, there's a reason a teeny tiny park on the backside is so popular on the weekends (and it's not because of the playground). Look at Tom Watson Park and plan to run clockwise around the res.

Is that the official unofficial nude beach?

Quote Reply
Re: Boulder Reservoir running [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thx. will check it out. it's full circle for her. She was born in Aurora and now coming back!!
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder Reservoir running [just jack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol! Unsure. I've only heard stories about the nude beach, never stumbled on it myself.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another great running option close to Westminster is the Coal Creek trail. Runs from Erie all the way to Superior, which eventually connects to Marshall Mesa. Coal Creek also spits off onto other trails, like Rock Creek. Plenty of options!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to run at the Reservoir, park at Tom Watson park. It's a good run, especially if you add on the Boulder Valley Ranch loop to the west side of the reservoir. It's popular and people I know drive up there to run, but yeah it isn't my favorite. It is where all the races in Boulder happen, so that probably contributes to it's popularity.

Better options in my opinion for similar surfaces (non-technical gravel) are the trails around Niwot (just northeast of the reservoir) and the Coal Creek and Rock Creek trails in Louisville/Lafayette/Superior.

Since you are doing 2 hours, you could probably combine the Reservoir and Niwot (they connect) or make a big loop out of the Coal Creek and Rock Creek trails by using the east side of Marshal Mesa to connect them.

Another beautiful route is from downtown Boulder up Boulder Canyon Trail and then take Chapman Drive up to the Flagstaff Mountain summit. Lots of climbing on this route but it gets you into the mountains without anything technical.
Quote Reply