Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thank you Los Angeles ( get it done)
Quote | Reply
Measure To Require Hotel Rooms For LA's Homeless Set For March Ballot - MyNewsLA.com

LA is considering a measure that would require hotels to provide rooms to homeless ( unhoused) people if the hotel has vacancy. The city would pay market for the room and the homeless person would get to stay there.

A measure that would require hotels in Los Angeles to place unhoused people in vacant rooms and the city to consider its affordable housing needs before approving new hotel developments will appear on the March 2024 ballot.
The initiative received more than 126,000 signatures and was submitted to the City Council, which voted unanimously Friday to place it on the ballot rather than adopt it immediately. The proposal comes as Project Roomkey, a program created in response to the coronavirus pandemic that provided shelters for more than 10,000 homeless individuals during the past two years, is being phased out.
If the measure is approved by voters, the city’s Housing Department would pay hotels a fair market rate to lodge each person after identifying hotels with vacant rooms. It would require hotels to report the number of vacant rooms to the city and prohibit them from refusing lodging to unhoused people seeking housing through the program.

This is the right thing to do and a way to help the homeless population. Hopefully it gets passed and they can clean up the streets and start putting the homeless in the hotels all around downtown, Beverly Hills etc. Good news for today.
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you Los Angeles ( get it done) [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
Measure To Require Hotel Rooms For LA's Homeless Set For March Ballot - MyNewsLA.com

LA is considering a measure that would require hotels to provide rooms to homeless ( unhoused) people if the hotel has vacancy. The city would pay market for the room and the homeless person would get to stay there.

A measure that would require hotels in Los Angeles to place unhoused people in vacant rooms and the city to consider its affordable housing needs before approving new hotel developments will appear on the March 2024 ballot.
The initiative received more than 126,000 signatures and was submitted to the City Council, which voted unanimously Friday to place it on the ballot rather than adopt it immediately. The proposal comes as Project Roomkey, a program created in response to the coronavirus pandemic that provided shelters for more than 10,000 homeless individuals during the past two years, is being phased out.
If the measure is approved by voters, the city’s Housing Department would pay hotels a fair market rate to lodge each person after identifying hotels with vacant rooms. It would require hotels to report the number of vacant rooms to the city and prohibit them from refusing lodging to unhoused people seeking housing through the program.

This is the right thing to do and a way to help the homeless population. Hopefully it gets passed and they can clean up the streets and start putting the homeless in the hotels all around downtown, Beverly Hills etc. Good news for today.

The best thing about this is that if put in place, there will be plenty of rooms available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crazy huge government overreach. No way should a city government be able to mandate this sort of thing on any private entity whatsoever. Not sure what the city would consider "fair market value" of a room but I have to imagine this would be one of the pricier "solutions" to combat homelessness. Bad deal all around...
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you Los Angeles ( get it done) [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Imagine booking a room in a 4 star hotel, only to have a group of homeless people partying in the room next door or using it as a brothel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a feeling almost every room not booked would be undergoing maintenance and not be available.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you Los Angeles ( get it done) [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
I have a feeling almost every room not booked would be undergoing maintenance and not be available.

Yeah, I can't imagine this will incentivize anyone to own or operate a hotel. What the govt considers fair market value will certainly not match the hotel owner's expectations, much less account for the potential losses in terms of guests wanting to stay at the hotel or having to clean or refurbish rooms that get ruined, etc. I expect a lot of hotels will greatly reduce prices on rooms to get paying customers rather than take a little more from the government to take homeless.

I can't imagine this is how we really want the government to operate.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you Los Angeles ( get it done) [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, every visit to LA needs some hookers and blow if the tourist is seeking a genuine experience. (Along with homeless encounters and some gang violence).

Could boost LA as a go to destination for reality travel!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I can see things going the other way. ending up working as a government funded halfway house for $500 a night.
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you Los Angeles ( get it done) [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
j p o wrote:

Yeah, I can't imagine this will incentivize anyone to own or operate a hotel. What the govt considers fair market value will certainly not match the hotel owner's expectations, much less account for the potential losses in terms of guests wanting to stay at the hotel or having to clean or refurbish rooms that get ruined, etc. I expect a lot of hotels will greatly reduce prices on rooms to get paying customers rather than take a little more from the government to take homeless.

I can't imagine it's legal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Imagine booking a room in a 4 star hotel, only to have a group of homeless people partying in the room next door or using it as a brothel.

Our city bought a few hotels to house the homeless during covid. It was an absolute disaster.
Within days there were fires inside, people had broken open walls to steal copper and wiring, ducting was ripped out of the ceiling. Toilets were smashed then people were just defecating in their rooms. Police were a constant presence.

The city had appointed social workers and crisis management staff to help people who were trippin' balls inside but they eventually refused to go in due to safety concerns.

Homelessness is so much more then just putting a roof over people's heads. It does nothing to address the mental illness, rampant drug addiction and violence, or the incredible amount of trauma these people both are victim to and inflict on one another on a daily basis.

I wonder, out of all the homeless people out there, how many just need a roof over their head and a quiet place to sleep, and can take that gift, clean themselves up, find gainful employment, and somehow get themselves on a road to self reliance. I would guess probably around or less than 1% of homeless people.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you Los Angeles ( get it done) [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Our city bought a few hotels to house the homeless during covid. It was an absolute disaster.
Within days there were fires inside, people had broken open walls to steal copper and wiring, ducting was ripped out of the ceiling. Toilets were smashed then people were just defecating in their rooms. Police were a constant presence.

The city had appointed social workers and crisis management staff to help people who were trippin' balls inside but they eventually refused to go in due to safety concerns.

Homelessness is so much more then just putting a roof over people's heads. It does nothing to address the mental illness, rampant drug addiction and violence, or the incredible amount of trauma these people both are victim to and inflict on one another on a daily basis.

I wonder, out of all the homeless people out there, how many just need a roof over their head and a quiet place to sleep, and can take that gift, clean themselves up, find gainful employment, and somehow get themselves on a road to self reliance. I would guess probably around or less than 1% of homeless people.

Yeah, I've watched enough interviews of homeless people from Soft White Underbelly to know the chances of helping many of these folks out of their homeless status is slim to none. Around here there's been a couple of old style roadside motels that basically went out of business and homeless people took them over as squatters. They eventually get closed down because of safety concerns because of the stuff you talked about.

Pretty sure I remember reading the city recently bought a hotel to turn into homeless housing. It seems like the sensible thing to do would be to screen people for residency so you get the people under a roof who are truly down on their luck and just need a helping hand to get back on their feet or mental illness that can be addressed as opposed to chronic drug addicts who are living the life and going to fuck everything up if you let them live there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

Is that not what 4 star hotels are like normally?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

Probably from the homeless brothel orgy party the night before
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you Los Angeles ( get it done) [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
j p o wrote:

Or the night manager throws them on Expedia for 10 bucks every night and then books them all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
slowguy wrote:
j p o wrote:

I can't imagine it's legal.

Just an extension of Section 8
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you Los Angeles ( get it done) [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

It's a bet that I don't want to win, but... I bet the number is more like .1%, or lower.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you Los Angeles ( get it done) [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stats are from a homeless advocacy group, so putting that upfront - https://endhomelessness.org/...f-homelessness-2021/

There's a big gap between "chronic homelessness" (110k) and the overall homeless population (580k).

Quote:
People experiencing “chronic homelessness” belong to another group that often singled out for attention. These individuals have disabilities and have also: 1) been continuously homeless for at least a year; or 2) experienced homelessness at least four times in the last three years for a combined length of time of at least a year. Chronically homeless individuals are currently 19 percent of the homeless population.

There's a lot of people and families in the larger group (81% - 470k) that can benefit from bridge/gap housing options that keep them from having to sleep in cars/on the street. Those people are the ones that are most likely to benefit from programs like this (and also from things like rental assistance/eviction protections) since they can help keep them out of the chronic homelessness group.

How we create programs and solutions that can address chronic homelessness is much more complex because there are often factors beyond lack of housing in play. If we can keep that group from growing, we'll be better positioned to help those people.
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you Los Angeles ( get it done) [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewjshults wrote:
Stats are from a homeless advocacy group, so putting that upfront - https://endhomelessness.org/...f-homelessness-2021/

There's a big gap between "chronic homelessness" (110k) and the overall homeless population (580k).

Quote:
People experiencing “chronic homelessness” belong to another group that often singled out for attention. These individuals have disabilities and have also: 1) been continuously homeless for at least a year; or 2) experienced homelessness at least four times in the last three years for a combined length of time of at least a year. Chronically homeless individuals are currently 19 percent of the homeless population.

There's a lot of people and families in the larger group (81% - 470k) that can benefit from bridge/gap housing options that keep them from having to sleep in cars/on the street. Those people are the ones that are most likely to benefit from programs like this (and also from things like rental assistance/eviction protections) since they can help keep them out of the chronic homelessness group.

How we create programs and solutions that can address chronic homelessness is much more complex because there are often factors beyond lack of housing in play. If we can keep that group from growing, we'll be better positioned to help those people.

I'd think the chronic homeless are the ones causing the majority of the problems though? They're the ones living in camps on city streets, using drugs, prostituting, etc.
Quote Reply