Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by veganerd
Re: I just remembered my password [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, welcome back! You haven't missed much; Duffy is gone, JSA is gone, and there's a few nutcases that keep getting banned and coming back under different usernames.

Otherwise the LR is still the same mix of people you'd like to have a beer with (mostly) and people you'd cross a busy street to avoid (just a few).
Quote Reply
Re: I just remembered my password [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know duffy is gone, but JSA??!? That surprises me. What happened? Did he decide to spend more time at panera?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Last edited by: veganerd: Jul 20, 22 17:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there!!!! I have thought about you several times while I was working a couple of hail storms in May/June that hit around Ramsey, Big Lake and Zimmerman. I think of you every time that I go through Minnesota and remember the fossil hunting trip you took us on.

I met a contractor from St. Cloud who was into ultra running and asked him if new knew you.

You planted the seed on taking a trip to BWCA. I almost took a few days after my work trip and went, but I was so worn out from a hard month of 16-18 hour days, that I decided to wait until I could enjoy it.

I'm so glad that life is going well for you and your family. Congratulations on the pending marriage.

Stick around. You will probably be surprised to see that I'm nowhere near as conservative on many issues as I used to be. I kind of like the newer me. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Did he decide to spend more time at panera?

Basically yes. I believe he said he was suddenly too busy at work to post 30 times a day like he has for over a decade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
I know duffy is gone, but JSA??!? That surprises me. What happened? Did he decide to spend more time at panera?

Duffy took his ball and went home again. He’ll be back. He always comes back.

Not sure why JSA left. Embarrassed by his political party is likely part of it. Can’t defend the indefensible.

Welcome back.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Jul 20, 22 18:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome back!

It will be nice to have a sensible lefty voice back in the LR. It has taken a hard right turn the last few years :)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: I just remembered my password [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
veganerd wrote:

Basically yes. I believe he said he was suddenly too busy at work to post 30 times a day like he has for over a decade.

I think part of it was also that his traveling went on pause during Covid and he used to use all the time at airport gates to post on slowtwitch

As for you veganerd, sounds like a a fun an eventful couple of years

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So let me explain. No, there's too much. Let me sum up...

3 points for the Princess Bride reference - excellent entrance!

Welcome back, and congrats on everything that's happened in the interim - sounds like quite a sabbatical!

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Re: I just remembered my password [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
veganerd wrote:

I seem to recall him saying WFH changed his job quite a bit. He used to spend a lot of time waiting at court, waiting at airports etc, where he did most of his posting. With WFH he no longer had that down time.

That, and he probably took his ball and went home after his political party of choice devolved in to the raging dumpster fire it currently is.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What's new around here? Did i miss anything?

Quote:
Still have not caught it!

We have an entire thread where you can brag about this.

We decided what candy is "most Eastery", "most Christmasy", etc for all the holidays. I don't remember what the answers were.

We came to an agreement that pineapple is acceptable on pizza.

Dan told windywave to be more empathetic when ww wasn't particularly empathetic when I was upset about the Roe v Wade decision.

Steve Hawley may still be mad at me for something I said about his favorite football team this fall (I don't remember what the comment was).

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I just remembered my password [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
We came to an agreement that pineapple is acceptable on pizza.

Oh no we didn't!!!
Quote Reply
Re: I just remembered my password [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Steve Hawley may still be mad at me for something I said about his favorite football team this fall (I don't remember what the comment was).

I was about to say VN's time probably didn't overlap with SH's arrival then learned the latter has been around since '04, which surprised me. I assume he didn't post much in the early days as I thought I'd remember someone back then posting as regularly as he appears to in recent times.

I'm also in the camp of those who have wondered in recent times where Vegan had disappeared to, or what made him leave. Mystery solved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome back and congrats on the engagement!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, welcome back! Congrats on your engagement! But most of all: thanks for your work at the border! I'm sure it was very much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, hey, hey! You're alive! Great to see you pop back up. Like you, I've been out of the LR for damn near forever, and just so happened back on here specifically because MSP came to mind, which brought you to mind, and I checked here.

No idea what's happened in the LR, but a lot on this side, so I'll also sum up...my marriage ended, but we didn't get a divorce, and we're still together & better than ever. So that's to say, the dynamic we had ended when we *finally* both got on the same page together and created something new going forward. Death & resurrection sort of thing, with absolutely zero spiritual implications there, just throwback to old discussions here. :-)

Covid struck hard enough to shut down just days after we returned from a family trip to Disney. Still unsure if my illness there was a mild case of Covid or just getting worn down from the long days. Vowed to never return to Disney again. And since DeSantis being DeSantis, never back to Florida again. Somehow despite the Covid stress of kids schooling from home and my wife working from home (and, thus, in my protected and beloved work from home bubble), we thrived. And I learned how to make better pizzas than any restaurant in my area, hands down. A new dough recipe is fermenting in the fridge as I type, so we'll see in 1-3 days if those skills leveled up or plateaued.

Got recruited by a bunch of headhunters, turned them all away, but finally listened to two who had compelling enough possibilities. Accepted with one earlier in the year, still doing much of the same work, but on the consultant side. Who knows if I'm creating corporate wallpaper & desk drawer liner or they're actually using the insights & analysis we provide to do something good, but it doesn't matter...they're paying us, I'm treated well, and like what I do, even if the hours are longer and more grueling for now until I'm more efficient at some of these things I'm now doing but we previously hired current-me to do.

Starting grad school for a Master's in January. That'll be a blur of 2 years, but hopefully leads to the next thing.

Which probably won't be posting here as much as the days of yore even with a return, because, well, kids playing travel sports, FT+ work, and using what little time is left to fight the creeping blur between semi-fit dad becoming semi-chubby dad, well, means little time left for here. But hope to see you here when I'm around. :-)
Last edited by: MidwestRoadie: Aug 8, 22 14:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought of another. We unanimously agreed you're an a-hole if you don't return your grocery cart to the cart corral.
The jury is out on what you tell people first if you're an ironman, a vegan, you have a PhD, you adopted your dog from a shelter, AND you always put your cart back.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I just remembered my password [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
my marriage ended, but we didn't get a divorce, and we're still together & better than ever.

this made my day. i'm reminded of a robert earl keen song which i find particularly charming. it's called Feelin' Good Again, this guy's been gone quite awhile, returns to his favorite bar/cafe, the town watering hole/restaurant, and he sees all his old friends. this particular part of the lyric:

Dan and Margarita
Were swayin' side by side
I heard they were divorcin'
But I guess they let it slide

i just get such a kick out of that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: I just remembered my password [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love it! That's a great tune. Thanks for sharing it. I think it's so true -- not all things need to totally die and be buried to have new life. Sometimes I guess it has to, but sometimes it's just a matter of letting it slide and getting to work. And I'm so damn glad it worked out that way here.

Slowman wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
my marriage ended, but we didn't get a divorce, and we're still together & better than ever.

this made my day. i'm reminded of a robert earl keen song which i find particularly charming. it's called Feelin' Good Again, this guy's been gone quite awhile, returns to his favorite bar/cafe, the town watering hole/restaurant, and he sees all his old friends. this particular part of the lyric:

Dan and Margarita
Were swayin' side by side
I heard they were divorcin'
But I guess they let it slide

i just get such a kick out of that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
am i the only one who just figured you were away working on something big with chainpin
Quote Reply