Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oath Keepers Defense argument
Quote | Reply
Really stupid Oath Keepers are planning a really stupid defense of their really stupid attack on the Capitol in support of their really stupid president.

https://www.businessinsider.com/...deralize-them-2022-6

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Oath Keepers Defense argument [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that earlier this week. Since they have no good defense, they may as well try something.

I hope the deliberations last 10 minutes and come back guilty on all charges. Maybe get some others worried and thinking about talking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand how that's a defense, more like an admission that they are idiots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's some irony in that these prepper/survivalist militias were born out of a hatred of the Federal government. And yet at the doorstep of their moment of greatest glory, there most fervent hope was to be Federalized.
Quote Reply
Re: Oath Keepers Defense argument [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
There's some irony in that these prepper/survivalist militias were born out of a hatred of the Federal government. And yet at the doorstep of their moment of greatest glory, there most fervent hope was to be Federalized.

Quote Reply
Re: Oath Keepers Defense argument [RINO Rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RINO Rick_pcfl wrote:
I saw that earlier this week. Since they have no good defense, they may as well try something.

I hope the deliberations last 10 minutes and come back guilty on all charges. Maybe get some others worried and thinking about talking.

The most amusing defenses always come when they have nothing else.

Usually you are much better off taking a deal. Except they didn't seem to be offering much in the way of deals since they have these geniuses on video. Usually videos they made themselves.

Unless you were first to turn on your fellow geniuses you are screwed.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a long running battle against what is frankly a threat to our Republic.

years ago we started getting classes on gang tattoos and how to ID gang members that were enlisting tin he US Military to gain tactical experience

upon separating there was very little formal warning against recruitment efforts by gangs or extremists. Hopefully it's better now? Over the years I've declined all manner of invitations to join veteran groups of any stripe; I've declined efforts to recruit me for local office.

I'm not joining up for shit!

nowadays the only one that listens to me is Ms Penny and i like it just fine like that.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just because these guys are domestic terrorists doesn't mean that they are stupid. They thought they were going to become Trump's Storm Troopers, because Trump led them to believe that they would be Trump's Storm Troopers.

Just like Michael Cohan, Chris Christie, Rudy, Donnie Jr, Ivanka, the people who got screwed working on his projects, the Union workers who thought their benefits would be paid, and the voters who voted for him. He led them all to think that they'd get something out of it. But they didn't realize they were dealing with the best conman to ever play the game!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Oath Keepers Defense argument [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Just because these guys are domestic terrorists doesn't mean that they are stupid. They thought they were going to become Trump's Storm Troopers, because Trump led them to believe that they would be Trump's Storm Troopers.

Just like Michael Cohan, Chris Christie, Rudy, Donnie Jr, Ivanka, the people who got screwed working on his projects, the Union workers who thought their benefits would be paid, and the voters who voted for him. He led them all to think that they'd get something out of it. But they didn't realize they were dealing with the best conman to ever play the game!

Anyone who gets conned by Trump is a fucking moron.

Trumps conman Schtick was well known before he became president.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, their defense was right their in their name… *oath keepers*.

“… and bear true faith and allegiance to the same…”

Anything else out of their mouths is farce. Judge ought to drag them pretty hard.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Oath Keepers Defense argument [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
It is a long running battle against what is frankly a threat to our Republic.

years ago we started getting classes on gang tattoos and how to ID gang members that were enlisting tin he US Military to gain tactical experience

upon separating there was very little formal warning against recruitment efforts by gangs or extremists. Hopefully it's better now? Over the years I've declined all manner of invitations to join veteran groups of any stripe; I've declined efforts to recruit me for local office.

I'm not joining up for shit!

nowadays the only one that listens to me is Ms Penny and i like it just fine like that.

/r

You score very favorably on the OCEAN big 5 personality inventory (we all do) which correlated with having suffered from something (we all did) makes you a high value target for recruiters.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least one of their lawyers admits the defense can be considered “fucking crazy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Oath Keepers Defense argument [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
I don't understand how that's a defense, more like an admission that they are idiots.

And as a friend who use to be a fire marshal use to tell me. There is nothing wrong with being an idiot, talking about how people do dumb things that burn down the house. Literally things like, I wasn't sure how much gas was in the tank, so I put a match in there for light. Go to rip out a bush near porch wrap the chain on the wrong side of the roof support, down comes the house. Stupid isn't a crime.

So if they can really convince the jury they were idiots and this is what they really thought, they have a slim, very very slim chance of it working. But it is probably their best defense.

Read a detailed brake down of the argument and counter argument. they have a few issues with the defense.

Could be an interesting case to follow.

Oh and congress needs to fix this loophole

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Oath Keepers Defense argument [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

And as a friend who use to be a fire marshal use to tell me. There is nothing wrong with being an idiot, talking about how people do dumb things that burn down the house. Literally things like, I wasn't sure how much gas was in the tank, so I put a match in there for light. Go to rip out a bush near porch wrap the chain on the wrong side of the roof support, down comes the house. Stupid isn't a crime.

So if they can really convince the jury they were idiots and this is what they really thought, they have a slim, very very slim chance of it working. But it is probably their best defense.

Your examples don't fit, though. Because each of those stupid people was attempting something sincere without intent of harm.

But these guys had transparently stated intent to cause harm.

Taking your second example, it'd be like trying to tear down your neighbor's house, having your neighbor call the cops before you could, and then claim as defense that all property was going to be declared "sovereign" or something right after the house came down, so it was legal to try to tear down the house. It's just a bummer the sovereign thing didn't actually happen.

Edit: spudone is better at the internet than I am.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 4, 22 17:56
Quote Reply
Re: Oath Keepers Defense argument [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Read a detailed brake down of the argument and counter argument. they have a few issues with the defense.

Could be an interesting case to follow.

Oh and congress needs to fix this loophole

Except they weren't stupid; they were arsonists.

You missed the point..
NO If their intent was as described as true, they were just idiots. Lets try another one. A fire starts on your stove you grab a glass of water and throw it on the grease fire not knowing better, fire spreads, house burns down.. Stupid but a mistake. Now if you planned to burn down your house start a grease fire, throw water on it, and it spreads and burns down your house that's arson.

Of course its another example of stupid people get caught. He said they often caught folks cause no prize possessions were lost in the fire. Family photos amazingly were not in the house at times etc.

oh and for the record, those where not ruled arson or intentional, just stupid people.

Now the guy that left soaked rags in his garage that caught fire and burned the house down, was charged with arson, cause when it happened his classic car was out getting detailed, and photos and some furniture were oddly missing from the house.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: Jul 4, 22 18:15
Quote Reply
Re: Oath Keepers Defense argument [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The main problem is that even if they truly believed that they were going to a presidents wishes, what they were doing was still illegal.

Quote Reply
Re: Oath Keepers Defense argument [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

Yes, but TFG is so good at conning, that even AFTER they are conned, and left standing with nothing on except maybe their underwear, the conned suckers STILL support him.

I gotta give him credit, that is just grifting genius.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
The main problem is that even if they truly believed that they were going to a presidents wishes, what they were doing was still illegal.

Agree.

They intend to prove (with evidence, I presume) that their reliance on Trump was reasonable. So they will need to show with documents and testimony who, what, where, when and why they thought Trump would invoke the Insurrection Act as they gathered at the Capitol and turn them into his own, ultra-loyal federal militia.

Their attorneys will be providing a defense that complements what the Jan 6 commission intends to discuss next—
Quote Reply
Re: Oath Keepers Defense argument [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

They came up with it while having the unlimited soup, salad, and breadsticks meal...

After the violent attack on the Capitol on January 6, a group of Capitol riot defendants linked to the Oath went to Olive Garden for dinner, according to a newly released FBI transcript.

https://www.businessinsider.com/...i-transcript-2021-12
Quote Reply