Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I waited until 7 days post end of symptoms to resume training beyond my daily household chores (which involves a bit with where I live).

I’m now basically trying to stick with ZR/Z1 base stuff. HR still elevates very quickly relative to effort suggesting some lingering irritation or inflammation.

I wrote off 2022 for racing a long time ago so I figure I’ll just do base level stuff and watch the HR for a while before I attempt to give it the beans again.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
I wonder what % of athletes that have CoVID have these elevated HR issues. From this thread it seems like a very common problem - I wonder if that’s just cause it’s those folks that post?

This thread scares me :)

When’s it good to get back to training? When HR drops to normal levels?

My resting heart rate actually dropped while I had an active infection. Never saw it go up during movement/exercise. I might be the outlier.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I'm on that baby step train myself. Went for a ride yesterday. Felt like I was doing ZR watts, breathing rate fine...HR through the roof. Frustrating as hell.

I'm on it with you. Covid+ early July, HR skyrockets when I look at my running shoes. Swimming easy feels good, as does conditioning work and riding the trainer in Z1, but if I'm on it too long I've got some big time cardiac drift.

I've waved off the rest of this season and will rebuild slowly and methodically for next year. It's left me feeling blah, but I'd rather be healthy and have a future season to look forward to than the alternative.

L1 USAT Coach | L3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot
Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
2022: Who freaking knows except it's Déjà vu all over again.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's super frustrating. I know the fitness itself is in there (heck, I set some Strava segment PRs when I was up in LP without really trying to go hard). But the massive decoupling between breath rate and HR is really something else.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll be able up update more tomorrow when I try to go for an easy run but if you didn’t read my post here it is. 4.5 year old daughter tested positive Sunday, gave it to wife/20 month old Monday, I finally got it Tuesday. 20 month old and wife were by far the worst. 4-5 days sick and wife still is off. I was lucky to only have headache and sore throat and now a bit of a cough but woke up today with no sore throat at all!

My HR/O2 levels have stayed normal and I haven’t had any body fatigue or fever or anything below the neck. So tomorrow I’m going to try to run after 5 days off. But even with my mild symptoms I still would not want to get thing thing again and for sure would not want a young kid to get it since they’re not really good at dealing with any sickness. To me the worst part about this is hearing how random it seems to be on how severe symptoms are. Anyone who has been asymptomatic you are lucky!

I have read a few things on when to try to return to training and it seems it depends on if your symptoms are only above the neck or below. I think this article has been posted here but this is what I am going to try to follow.

https://blogs.bmj.com/bjsm/?p=10084

My Blog - Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I DNF'd Lake Placid on Sunday 9 miles into the Run. Within minutes of getting back to my condo I fell asleep. The day before my throat was dry and scratchy, but no other symptoms. I tested positive for Covid on Wednesday morning via rapid and PCR. Only had a dry cough for less than 2 days. Resting HR has only be slightly elevated 4 or 5 beats from AVG RHR 40 to 45.

I went for a short 4-mile Jog yesterday. HR stayed reasonably low despite the heat. But today I'm wiped out. After reading this thread I'm just going to take it easy. Day 5 of quarantine today. Hope everyone else is coming along. I had both Pfizer shots in April 2021. I didn't get boosted because last Pfizer shot my lymph nodes in my arm pit blew up like a water balloon.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
SteveDDS wrote:
It's nice that your Dr. prescribed Paxlovid for you. I specifically inquired about Paxlovid with my Dr. and he refused to prescribe for me. Not sure why, but i'm a little pissed about it since I've been sick for a month now.

Same for me. Just tested positive over weekend. Went to doctor, was told I'm not at risk for developing pneumonia or being admitted to hospital so refused to prescribe it.

First 48 hours were brutal. Felt like 80% the intensity of the vaccine side effects, but 6x as long. Fever has finally broken, so I'm optimistic the worse is behind me. Thankfully I haven't lost my taste/smell, so I can at least still enjoy a morning coffee. Though appetite is minimal at best.

Just to update my experience:

Today is Day 8 since testing positive. Symptoms nearly completely gone. On Day 6 I developed a very mild chest tightness that feels like the early onset of an EIB. Still persisting as I write this. Cough is all gone as well. However, zero issues getting enough air and don't feel out of breath ever. Even going up and down the stairs it's a non issue.

RHR is completely normal and moving around the house doesn't cause any spiking. I also don't feel fatigued or winded moving about.

Still resting and not taking any chances with the chest tightness still lingering. If it wasn't for the chest tightness I would never have guessed I'd had COVID.

Going to continue to sit and do nothing for a few more days. If the tightness still persists I'll probably ring my HCP just to be double sure nothing more sinister lurking underneath.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great add to the thread.

I'd estimate I'm in stage 3 on this chart -- and figure there's no reason to really fuck around with entering higher HR zones until we can better match up effort / breath rate to heart rate. I'm exactly 31 days since testing positive.

Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does...but it's SLOW and variable. My wife and I both had COVID last April/May. Took me about 2 weeks to get over the initial effects (tired, brain fog, etc.). She had the whole coughing bit MUCH worse than me. We started training for races again 2 weeks after that and both of us got easily winded (TBH, we weren't in the best shape to begin with). By the end of June I was FINALLY able to ride/run again...and ended up completing a Sprint (more of a death march, but I finished!) in early September. We I in better shape (though I *was* riding about 10 hours/week prior to COVID) I think it might have been different? But even my doc said my story wasn't uncommon.

Now, just over a year later it's all just a bad memory.

Hope you get well soon...and recover quickly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First easy run went well today! HR stayed within the normal range and so far my body is not fatigued from it so hopefully I can continue with the easy runs until the weekend then see how adding some pace feels. But this cough is super annoying! Hopefully it doesn’t stick too long because I can see that being an issue when running at faster paces.

My Blog - Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [SteveDDS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been told by a doctor that Paxlovid is designed to keep people out of the hospital but there is no evidence it helps patients with less severe symptoms.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [Hokiebird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hokiebird wrote:
Hi Flek, (and any MDs out there)
Do you think the 3 days of intense activity primed your wife to be more susceptible to a more severe infection? Can a person be at an apparent peak in overall racing shape, but have an immune system that is somehow not in prime condition to resist and respond to a viral infection? There is literature on overtraining syndrome and upper respiratory infections, but I didn't see anything specifically covid-related. Can the inflammation response to high intensity exercise add to the infection response?

None of these questions have definitive answers. Every case can be different. I am just speculating here, and wondering what future studies will reveal.

I think this is a really good question as I picked up covid during the peak of my training for a marathon. It was the first time I got covid, and I had been wondering if I became more vulnerable because of my intense training. I'm also one of those people who will get sick right after a race if I keep training intensively afterwards.

My experience with covid was a couple of days of really bad flu symptoms, then fatigue, congestion and cough for the next month. I do not say congestion and cough lightly - I could feel it ripping through my lungs so had chest pain and tightness the whole time. For a few days, I really didn't know if my body could fight it. I did nothing for a month. After waiting a week without symptoms, I started slowly training again keeping a close eye on my heart rate. After a couple of weeks of light training, I was pretty much back to normal fortunately.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd disagree with that -- it definitely kept symptoms at a manageable level here. I was still pretty sick, but it never got any worse, which I think was the point.

Granted, I'm considered "high risk" due to my brain injury history.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen some results of some very small, non-reviewed as well as some anecdotal observations that Paxlovid is an effective therapy against long covid as well. I think the theory is that although contained, there is still virus living in the digestive tract for several months post infection that contributes to long covid in some cases.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel the same. I was eligible for Paxlovid because I take an immunosuppressant drug to treat a severe case of an autoimmune disease, and that puts me in the “high risk” category eligible for Paxlovid even though I’m otherwise healthy in terms of BMI and other criteria. My doctor discouraged me from taking Paxlovid because of the side effects, put I pushed for a prescription.
I started taking it day one, while bedridden with awful body aches and the worst headache of my life. I’m now on day 16 and did a 1:20 masters swim workout this morning, followed by 1:15 of tempo work on the bike. Two weeks ago at this time I was still bedridden and now I’m back to swimming and biking at 100% (running is another story - that’s taking a lot longer to come back). I don’t know for sure that the Paxlovid was a factor in my speedy recovery, but I’m very glad I took it and will push for it again if I get Covid again. I don’t have any lingering symptoms other than a HR that jumps into Zone 4 after just a few minutes of easy jogging. I feel VERY lucky.
Quote Reply
Re: Covid is kicking my ass [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my 2nd round with Covid since April (I'm lucky!).

The first time, I got infected mid-April (was trapped in work meetings with someone who tested positive the day after the meeting). I had ALL the symptoms but never tested positive. Because I never tested negative, I wasn't eligible for Paxlovid. My asthma flared so bad I almost went to the ER (Day 4) and I ended up needing to carry my rescue inhaler with me everywhere and I had to go on a steroid inhaler for a month. I also developed a sinus infection and went on a Z-pak at week 5. All in, I was sick for 6 weeks, mostly with angry lungs, crushing fatigue, HR drift, and brain fog.

The second time, I'm 99% sure I got infected while at the Oregon 70.3 race (I stayed in a house with 6 others who all were fine, I was in a different swim time than the housemates, otherwise we were together for the WHOLE weekend). Got a positive test Wed after the race, got Paxlovid that afternoon. I still had a mild fever, aches, chills, headache but felt substantively better at day 4-5. Asthma has only been minorly affected. No HR drift - I've been able to ride my bike at a low Z2 and keep my HR <65% max. I'm at 3 weeks in and feel about 90% better.

My n+1 experience with Paxlovid has been substantially better than without it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
I wonder what % of athletes that have CoVID have these elevated HR issues. From this thread it seems like a very common problem - I wonder if that’s just cause it’s those folks that post?

This thread scares me :)

When’s it good to get back to training? When HR drops to normal levels?

I'll chime in for the first time. My RHR is pretty much normal but any exercise shoots it right up.

Male, 31. 3x Moderna with the last one 6 months ago.

Last Tuesday felt completely normal, had a good swim and bike ride. Had an achilles/calf issue which prevented me from runnnung for 3 weeks. Feeling healed, I was so excited about putting my running shoes out before bed again... of course woke up the following morning feeling sick.

Day 1: massive headache, sore body, fatigue, chills/sweats. Went to get tested and confirmed positive. RHR was elevated 10-15 bmp.
Day 2: complete change in symptoms. No chills, soreness, or headache. But got a mild fever, cough, and congestion.
Day 3: feeling better. RHR coming down but still elevated.
Days 4-5: continuing to get better and RHR back to normal. When going about my day, feeling nearly 100%. Still testing positive but feeling like I could work out if I wanted to.
Days 6-8: feeling good and RHR normal. Feeling restless and ready to start exercising. Jogged 700m super slow to the test facility and HR jumped like I was doing a tempo run!
Day 9: easy bike ride to test the waters. 70% FTP for 1hr. Had some serious HR drift, +25bpm. Dropped power but HR didn't drop, so I stopped at that point.
Day 10 (today): first negative test. RHR elevated by 10-15bpm again, maybe because of the bike ride.

If it wasn't for a HRM, I honestly wouldn't know something is wrong and I'd probably be pushing my workouts again. I'm definitely more fatigued and sore from the easy bike than normally, but I also haven't done any exercise in 10 days, so I would've assumed that's the reason.

The lack of exercise is is killing me inside :(
Quote Reply

Prev Next