Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Roe v Wade how will it affect tourism? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
ruby1 wrote:
My wife will not set foot in Florida. We will fly over and go to the islands.

Would love a second winter home in a left leaning state, just doesn't exist.

California says hi.

Oh definitely says hi. Will provide housing to women as sanctuary state for abortion. Yet has a homeless crisis here....

http://www.coupleofathletes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Roe v Wade how will it affect tourism? [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
BLeP wrote:
CARAVANS!!! IMMAGANTS!!!!


No, just good people trying to find a better way of life and do the work many folks here won't do. As I said, you really need to get out more. You come across as a talking point bot programmed to spit out emotional propaganda.

I was at a Quincineara last weekend and it was a great display of family, friends and faith. Doubt you guys have many of those up in the frozen tundra.

Completely agree with this. I likely live closer to the border than you and have a very different experience than all of the crap on TV that is being spewed to the rest of the country. Good hardworking people I am happy to have as neighbors. Just wish I spoke Spanish.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Re: Roe v Wade how will it affect tourism? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Why would you be denied medical care if you had a miscarriage?

Here is the landmark case that caused Ireland to make abortion legal

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/..._Savita_Halappanavar

Note many states only have exceptions for the life of the mother not the health of the mother. So you have to get to the point someone is actively dying to intervene and that’s a pretty hard call to make if you are facing felony charges if you mess it up and move too early.

Hence why it might be hard to find an OB in these states soon. No idea why they would work under those conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Roe v Wade how will it affect tourism? [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What is the rational for fewer people opening companies in Red States? Texas is booming. I would suggest tax breaks, low overall taxes, limited business regulation and cheaper cost of living would be more important to a company when picking a business location. If the company dislikes the states abortion policies they can always pay for employees to travel out of state ( as many have suggested ) and in the end come out ahead on costs.

A lot of companies are not going to open new plants in red states. Companies will also close branches in red states. I agree that there is a lot of things that go into where companies are located. This is just going to be one more of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Roe v Wade how will it affect tourism? [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think your list is somewhat dependent on where you live in Texas. I've lived in both El Paso and Dallas and visited Houston, Austin, and San Antonio extensively.

1. Weather ( i like heat and hate cold so it works for me) -- The weather sucks across the entire state. I think there are maybe 2 weeks where it is not oppressing hot or freezing cold. Mosquitos and other bugs the size of pigeons.
2. Ocean and lakes nearby for fishing and water sports. Ocean? Do you mean that muddy thing off the coast of Galveston? I'll give you the lake point though.
3. Cost of living -- Needs to be low since wages are lower than other states. 29th out of 50 in average wages.
4. Low taxes -- Property taxes are pretty high. Low taxes also mean less services like public transit, parks, libraries, etc.
5. Great youth sports - if you are into football and basketball. There are other youth sports. How about if your kid wants to be on a ski team, surf team, or Mt. Bike team?
6. Business friendly environment -- Business friendly because those pesky regulations that protect workers and the environment have been eliminated.
7. Plenty of country road if you are into TRI and bikes. -- Umm, no. I lost track how many yahoos launched bottles and cans out their truck windows at me while I was riding or running on those "country roads".
8. Friendly people -- Not that I found in the bigger cities.
9. Safety -- only if you live, work, and shop in a gated community and send your kids to a private school. Did you happen to hear about a recent shooting in Texas?
10. Good schools (youth and colleges) - public schools are ranked 28th out of 50 in Texas.
11. Good food culture Bar b que, steak houses and fine dining in the big cities all you want -- Where??? Texas is the land of strip malls and chain restaurants. Unless you consider Tex-Mex as diverse cuisine, there are not many options beyond PF Changs.
12. Pro Sports culture with the Cowboys, Astros, Rockets, Maverick etc. -- This is a selling point, really?
13. Hispanic Cultural influence is strong ( a good thing) -- Cultural influence is strong, but treatment of Hispanics in Texas is poor.


How's your power grid doing by the way?
14. Great golf courses (PGA headquarters moving to Texas) Great if you are a rich white dude.

Trieatalot

It's a C minus world.
Quote Reply
Re: Roe v Wade how will it affect tourism? [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:
I think your list is somewhat dependent on where you live in Texas. I've lived in both El Paso and Dallas and visited Houston, Austin, and San Antonio extensively.

1. Weather ( i like heat and hate cold so it works for me) -- The weather sucks across the entire state. I think there are maybe 2 weeks where it is not oppressing hot or freezing cold. Mosquitos and other bugs the size of pigeons.
2. Ocean and lakes nearby for fishing and water sports. Ocean? Do you mean that muddy thing off the coast of Galveston? I'll give you the lake point though.
3. Cost of living -- Needs to be low since wages are lower than other states. 29th out of 50 in average wages.
4. Low taxes -- Property taxes are pretty high. Low taxes also mean less services like public transit, parks, libraries, etc.
5. Great youth sports - if you are into football and basketball. There are other youth sports. How about if your kid wants to be on a ski team, surf team, or Mt. Bike team?
6. Business friendly environment -- Business friendly because those pesky regulations that protect workers and the environment have been eliminated.
7. Plenty of country road if you are into TRI and bikes. -- Umm, no. I lost track how many yahoos launched bottles and cans out their truck windows at me while I was riding or running on those "country roads".
8. Friendly people -- Not that I found in the bigger cities.
9. Safety -- only if you live, work, and shop in a gated community and send your kids to a private school. Did you happen to hear about a recent shooting in Texas?
10. Good schools (youth and colleges) - public schools are ranked 28th out of 50 in Texas.
11. Good food culture Bar b que, steak houses and fine dining in the big cities all you want -- Where??? Texas is the land of strip malls and chain restaurants. Unless you consider Tex-Mex as diverse cuisine, there are not many options beyond PF Changs.
12. Pro Sports culture with the Cowboys, Astros, Rockets, Maverick etc. -- This is a selling point, really?
13. Hispanic Cultural influence is strong ( a good thing) -- Cultural influence is strong, but treatment of Hispanics in Texas is poor.


How's your power grid doing by the way?
14. Great golf courses (PGA headquarters moving to Texas) Great if you are a rich white dude.

Sounds like it would be great for you to never live in Texas. If you live here now you should leave immediately. If you don't, I would never come and visit and tell all your friends like you likewise.

I don't need to address all your silly opinions as they are grossly incorrect on many fronts but don't go bagging on being able to play golf, in shorts, on Christmas day with a temperature of 75 degrees and no humidity.
Quote Reply
Re: Roe v Wade how will it affect tourism? [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the risk of mixing facts with opinions...

Texas doesn't appear to be a very safe state:

http://www.usa.com/...ndex--state-rank.htm


Quote Reply
Re: Roe v Wade how will it affect tourism? [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, you offered your opinion and I offered mine.

I'm sure all those Hispanic and black kids are just lining up to play golf on Christmas day in that 75 degree weather.

Shouldn't you be at home on Christmas day celebrating your god's birthday or something like that?

Trieatalot

It's a C minus world.
Quote Reply
Re: Roe v Wade how will it affect tourism? [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:

What is the rational for fewer people opening companies in Red States? Texas is booming. I would suggest tax breaks, low overall taxes, limited business regulation and cheaper cost of living would be more important to a company when picking a business location. If the company dislikes the states abortion policies they can always pay for employees to travel out of state ( as many have suggested ) and in the end come out ahead on costs.

From, "business friendly" Texas:

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said his office is looking into fining Texas based businesses “over $100,000” each time they pay for an employee to obtain an out-of-state abortion.
Quote Reply
Re: Roe v Wade how will it affect tourism? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
SDG wrote:


What is the rational for fewer people opening companies in Red States? Texas is booming. I would suggest tax breaks, low overall taxes, limited business regulation and cheaper cost of living would be more important to a company when picking a business location. If the company dislikes the states abortion policies they can always pay for employees to travel out of state ( as many have suggested ) and in the end come out ahead on costs.


From, "business friendly" Texas:

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said his office is looking into fining Texas based businesses “over $100,000” each time they pay for an employee to obtain an out-of-state abortion.

A lot of this craziness is making its way to European news channels.

We were going to visit friends in North Carolina for 2 months but we have just booked a holiday to Canada and our friends are going to join us.
Quote Reply

Prev Next