Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: increase in watts = faster on bike? [curdog16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curdog16 wrote:
Thanks, you put into words what I was thinking. How does one figure out CdA? I was thinking I was good on position/cda only cause I carried solid speed on lower power. But, I know there are still certainly gains to be made. I'm 46 and not sure i want to slam myself down on the bike as I need to be comfortable too.

I've been fitted, but of course I added a front hydration and had to move aero bars and cups around which I think totally messed with my cockpit placement. (of course they were tiny but still).

Does spending more money on an aero helmet make sense like ed said? Then I think about Brian Stover saying some aero helmets make some people slower and people need the right one for them. I'll just buy an aero helmet that I get on sale with no clue if its helping. Thats why i just went with the aero road helmet for versatility and maybe some aero gain.

There are several ways to figure out CDA from a race file, each with different levels of sophistication and accuracy. Some people use Best Bike split. I have heard people use winsock which I never tried. I have some tools that are not commercially available that I use. Robert's chart is a good estimator.

Better is to learn to aero test rather than rely on post race analysis.

Moving your stuff around probably didn't change your aero profile much. I suspect your fitter went for comfort over aero (unless he tested you)

I think what DD often says is "if you aren't going to test, select the one helmet that is top 3, 99% of the time". For example, a GIRO aerohead falls in that category. I think you will be hard pressed to find a person that an Aerohead tests slower than a road aero helmet. A buddy recently tested a Giro road helmet vs Aerohead and he was willing to give up a few watts for heat. He tested both one day for aero watts, then another day for heat and went for heat over aero.

Here is a chart Notio used to show how good to bad could impact speed on given watts

Last edited by: marcag: Jul 4, 22 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: increase in watts = faster on bike? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
curdog16 wrote:
I've heard people say that a bit and I dont quite understand. Is it because groups tend to ride in pace lines, so you benefit from the draft and power is down?....

...I'll go back to more of a formal plan when I am 8 weeks out from my next race and not ride with a group except maybe once per week.

It's because the effort is highly variable, hard, and doesn't resemble your race effort... which should be steady. It's not optimal for your race performance, but it might not be a big hit depending on a bunch of factors. And if those rides are more fun than optimizing your race performance, then who cares?

A lot of this will depend on the group you ride with, your relative ability to that group, the terrain and the group dynamics.

So my group is possibly the absolute perfect for me. Mostly fairly mature riders - ie in 40s and some in the 50s who are/were very very good competative riders. One of the riders is a current paralympian TT/Road race rider. And so what that means is there's no real egos in the group. We've all been there, done that, and know that no-one cares about that ride that day - no medals. So they are not bothered if I sit on the front for a long time to get my steady hard effort in, they are happy to let me, so long as the pace doesn't get too high that we start dropping people - go longer not harder is the group dynamic. We're also fortunate that the area we live has plenty of hills, so most of the time we call a 'fast' section for those and regroup at the top. And then it's great intensity training. Zwift racing is good, but I can go deeper into the hurtbox racing that last 500m of a 12km steady climb - no medals but 100% everyone wants to be first up. And again I tend to be a steady pace climber, no attacks but gradually ramp the effort. And some will try zipping off, others just hold my wheel as long as they can. Or if the paracyclist is there then I try to keep him in sight as long as I can.... And then at the end, I ride home at steady power. So that's good to do 100/120km of hard efforts, and then I finish with 20km of race pace when fatigued. Or I'll stop and do a 10km run to finish.

So as I said at start here, you can get a good workout, and actually integrate some quality into that if you use your mind and are disciplined. I think that's easier if you're at teh stronger end of the group you're in not the weaker as you get more control. I'd generally suggest being at the front of a slow group makes you stronger than being the weakest in a fast group sitting on the back in the draft and just clinging on. It's a bit counter intuitive as normally you'd say stretch yourself to get quicker, but the draft effect negates that IMHO.

Oh, one other thing, riding in a bunch will improve your bike technique and skills. You'll pace climbs better, you'll get smoother at pedalling, and of course your handling and observation skills too. All those things will make you quicker in a race.

And you end with a coffee.
Quote Reply
Re: increase in watts = faster on bike? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
So you're probably a 6 on 10 aero wise and 5 on 10 power wise.

Work both. Move along both the x and y axis of Robert's chart. Currently you are in the middle along the X axis and bottom fifth on the Y axis
Someone should label "fair," "good," "very good," and "excellent" regions on the x- and y-axes.
Quote Reply
Re: increase in watts = faster on bike? [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
marcag wrote:

So you're probably a 6 on 10 aero wise and 5 on 10 power wise.

Work both. Move along both the x and y axis of Robert's chart. Currently you are in the middle along the X axis and bottom fifth on the Y axis

Someone should label "fair," "good," "very good," and "excellent" regions on the x- and y-axes.

Yes

Excellent was supposed to be something like a .20 cda.
Fair was something like a .28. I'd have to dig up the data.

The problem was nobody had any appreciation for what .20 was.
People didn't even understand what was better .2 or .3.

Also the idea was bigger balls are less aero. The smaller you could get, the better
Quote Reply
Re: increase in watts = faster on bike? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's easier if you're at teh stronger end of the group you're in not the weaker as you get more control. I'd generally suggest being at the front of a slow group makes you stronger than being the weakest in a fast group sitting on the back in the draft and just clinging on. It's a bit counter intuitive as normally you'd say stretch yourself to get quicker, but the draft effect negates that IMHO.

Thanks Duncan, lots of good ideas that I can try to work in even though/unfortunately on the weaker end of this group. Totally counterintuitive, yet there is some logic to it. Funny enough, two years ago when I was just getting into cycling, a good cyclist from a well known group in my area said to me "you're not gonna get faster riding with slower people"
Quote Reply
Re: increase in watts = faster on bike? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

The problem was nobody had any appreciation for what .20 was.
People didn't even understand what was better .2 or .3.

How about this?

Quote:
"CdA is also called 'drag area' and is usually measured in square meters. An excellent CdA for a normal-sized rider in a TT or Tri position would be around .20 m^2. A fair CdA would be around .28 m^2.

An A4 or letter-sized sheet of paper has an area of right about .06 m^2

A 3x5 index card has an area of around .01 m^2.

If someone else has a CdA of .24 m^2 and you have a CdA of .25, it's like you have a 3x5 index card worth of extra area to drag around, everywhere, all the time. Getting you from a fair CdA of .28 down to a very good one of .22 is like dropping a sheet of paper. "
Last edited by: RChung: Jul 4, 22 18:05
Quote Reply
Re: increase in watts = faster on bike? [curdog16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curdog16 wrote:
... Funny enough, two years ago when I was just getting into cycling, a good cyclist from a well known group in my area said to me "you're not gonna get faster riding with slower people"

As I said earlier, it is a bit counter-intuitive, and I would agree that you do get faster being pushed, but you need to use the group well. It's a bit like a staircase. Use the faster pace of the group to build your speed (the up) and then use your control to work on the endurance to hold that speed longer by not shirking in the group (the tread part). Then move up a group and repeat.
Quote Reply

Prev Next