Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Airline travel not like it use to be [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockman wrote:
Yes but he manages (well is supposed to) the federal gov't which is responsible for security and immigration which is where the worst bottlenecks are.

https://www.blogto.com/...ort-security-system/

https://www.ctvnews.ca/...s-weigh-in-1.5940198

But what does Trudeau care. He is busy flying around the country spreading his sunny ways. And doesn't wait to get on or off a plane.

You posted two articles that reference the same interview. It appears he thinks a big part of the cause of the back up is the additional processing time of the ArriveCAN app

Quote:
Prior to the pandemic, it used to take 30 to 60 seconds to screen a passenger for customs and immigration. Today, Dee says the process takes four to five minutes, thanks in large part to the COVID-19-related screening questions through the ArriveCAN app and checking of vaccine certificates.

"You've quadrupled the amount of time it takes them to process every traveller. So unless you quadruple the number of people doing the processing, you're going to have a delay,"

Not sure if you have heard but labor supply is super tight across the western world right now. Heathrow is having very similar issues. Where do you suppose they find, and train, all these new security employees?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spockman wrote:
Yes but he manages (well is supposed to) the federal gov't which is responsible for security and immigration which is where the worst bottlenecks are.

https://www.blogto.com/...ort-security-system/

https://www.ctvnews.ca/...s-weigh-in-1.5940198

But what does Trudeau care. He is busy flying around the country spreading his sunny ways. And doesn't wait to get on or off a plane.

Did Trudeau also force the Airlines to not hire enough staff to handle things like baggage?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't flown from Pearson in a long time until a couple of weeks ago for a connection. I've already mentioned the 90+ minute line for US immigration but that's as much the fault of CBP as the airport. But I heard several passengers talking about a 2 hour line at security. And in my terminal, just about every flight was being held because they had so many people stuck in security or immigration. My flight was held for 20 minutes and still left with a lot of empty seats.

Again, I haven't flown through Europe since all this chaos started but it seemed pretty chaotic at Pearson, most chaos I've experienced in some time. There seemed to be no order to things - GE entry was down a side line with minimal signage, then once you got in 3 separate people asked to see a GE card and they were all standing right next to each other. Then had to scan boarding pass in and machine directed us to regular line again until agent asked and re-directed. Just seemed like there were no procedures.

Was it like this before this year? Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Airline travel not like it use to be [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
The Germanwings example gave rise to peer support and mental health awareness in aviation amongst pilots, whereby we look out for signs each of us is coping. There was an incident where a captain of one of the Irish low cost airlines went to work the day after his young son died, and invariably became overwhelmed and incapacitated. You have to question what sort of company culture exists that would lead to someone feeling they have to go to work under those conditions.

Apologies, that turned into a longer post than intended. TL;DR: your flight crew will be competent to be up the front end. đź‘Ť

You have an interesting perspective. I would not call the Germanwings crash an "accident". One cannot call a murder-suicide an accident. At least I cannot.

About the bolded part, you should work for some american airlines for a while. I would venture that that kind company culture exists at most US airlines. Safety is COMPLETELY secondary regarding the mental and fatigue conditions of air crews.

I didn't call either an accident (the Germanwings, or the second example whereby a crew member went to work the day after his son died, and flight safety was compromised - this was another well know LCC.)

The Germanwings example is quite often seen as a bad apple, but how do you defend against that? In reality, a system centric view is needed as there are many aspects to this whereby the outcome could have been averted. These are specifically during training, whereby his training was halted due to depression before recommencing; medication, whereby he was denied anti-depressant medication that is permitted under other authorities but critically not under his licensing authority; and finally the psychologists having patient client confidentiality enforced but less guidance on when that can be breached, and in this case it is clear that should have been breached in the interest of public safety. Another aspect is that we rely on pilots to self declare when they are unfit to fly, often at the risk of their careers.

So a "murder-suicide" actually has many parts to it, and there were many failings leading up to it. We value our right to self-determine our destiny; as free thinkers, with choice, therefore we identify people who do wrong as having deliberately chosen that course of action, whereas that is counterproductive in safety critical environments as too often those choices that threaten safety are enforced by company culture, lack of enforcement, lack of procedures, and often necessity as procedures are unreasonable or impossible to follow. Someone suffering deep depression may not feel they have another choice, which is largely academic - the value in the investigation is to truly see where we can prevent an incident in the future. Now we have peer support training, and other good stuff, which still require a pilot to self report with all the associated stigma and potential career limiting potential in doing so...

Safety is always secondary to something. Fatigue is the biggest factor in scheduled commercial aviation, and one of the biggest reasons I no longer work in the scheduled sector.
Quote Reply
Re: Airline travel not like it use to be [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
If "efficient management" was a magic solution, why get someone with 200 hours? Why not 50 hours? I am curious, what was your level of experience when you sat in the right seat of an airliner? Assuming you work/worked for an airline. Or, what kind of flying do you do?

I believe an MPL holder only has 50 hours of aircraft time. There are limitations. Aviation training, especially for airlines, is evidence based and you'd have to direct that question to those airlines conducting MPL training for empirical evidence of performance. A large part of aviation is managing everything else that goes on around the aircraft. Generally, flying the aircraft is the easy part, even in maximum crosswinds. The workload ramps up with special procedures, etc... I fly a lot from contaminated runways, and that certainly adds to workload as we have specific procedures which would be deemed non-normal, and de-icing, etc... This spikes the workload and that means other threats may not be identified in a timely fashion. An example of workload management. I went right seat in the airlines with 1,800 hours, 1,500 of which was PIC flying twin piston aircraft around a remote part of the world. That was also because airlines started asking for self sponsored type ratings, which I didn't feel was ethical so chose not to pay to fly and go sooner. I was a line training captain before leaving for non-scheduled aviation in various management pilot roles.

DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Quote:
I complete believe the US airline requirements are politically motivated, not safety motivated.

Interesting, why do you think this? Upon what evidence do you base this conclusion?

Politics drives many things in the US, and in other countries too. However, I spent quite a few hours training non-US students for an ab-initio airline program. 200 hours to prepare one for the right seat of an airliner? Overall, in my view, no, that is not safe at all.

It depends on the training, and selection. If the selection criteria is, "can you pay for the course" then that's not choosing based on aptitude. There is a great deal of evidence 200 hour pilots are safe, as they are operating throughout Europe. But the FAA system is very different. I don't know what your experience or involvement is of EASA training.
Quote Reply
Re: Airline travel not like it use to be [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've been talking with the same people, because I've been told the exact same thing :)
Quote Reply
Re: Airline travel not like it use to be [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Airlines tried shifting blame, but they’re the biggest cause of delays

https://www.msn.com/...of-delays/ar-AAZT3mf

Quote:
Airline executives, under a barrage of criticism from the public, lawmakers and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, have sought to shift blame for flight troubles this summer onto the nation’s air traffic control system. But federal data shows that airlines themselves are the biggest reason for delays in recent months and bear responsibility for an unusually high share of cancellations.
Quote Reply
Re: Airline travel not like it use to be [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I flew from Atlanta to Redmond (Bend), OR last week…..and then back to Atlanta. Fortunately, there were no delays for any of my flights, and it all worked out well. But, every flight was completely full, and the airports were all jam packed as well. Went into a Delta lounge, in Atlanta, and have never seen it so full of people. The various food shops, in the Atlanta Airport, had their usual “jolly” employees that have been giving the same attitude of “you are bothering me by asking for a slice of pizza” for years. Maybe 10% of people had on masks….equal amounts in Oregon as it was in Atlanta. Vacation mode is on in full force in the US. You’d never know there was any inflation worry, based on the number of travelers I saw everywhere, but I’m glad people are trying to enjoy life
Quote Reply
Re: Airline travel not like it use to be( update) [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Things are not getting better. European staff are being pushed to the limit

https://www.cnn.com/...haos-2022/index.html
Quote Reply
Re: Airline travel not like it use to be( update) [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just replying to the latest post

Day 1 (Southwest - used to never have a problem)
Flew to PIT to Denver last week, first flight delayed 1-1/2 hours, second flight (with a 1 hour layover) was delayed another hour. Missed dinner with the client.

Day 2 (Southwest)
Got an e-mail after a client meeting that my flight to LAX had been cancelled, no reschedule, no options and had to ultimately go to another carrier because there were no more flight available. I ended up on Delta.

Day 3 (Southwest)
Got to Burbank airport 1-1/2 before my flight, through TSA walking to the gate get an e-mail showing my flight has been cancelled. Only difference this time is I was rescheduled on a later flight. It was great, I crawled into my bed at 4am the next morning.

Meetings went well, the travel sucked. And holy shit the cost of a drink at the airport has gotten really crazy.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Airline travel not like it use to be( update) [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:

Flew to PIT to Denver last week, first flight delayed 1-1/2 hours, second flight (with a 1 hour layover) was delayed another hour. Missed dinner with the client.

Day 2 (Southwest)
Got an e-mail after a client meeting that my flight to LAX had been cancelled, no reschedule, no options and had to ultimately go to another carrier because there were no more flight available. I ended up on Delta.

Day 3 (Southwest)
Got to Burbank airport 1-1/2 before my flight, through TSA walking to the gate get an e-mail showing my flight has been cancelled. Only difference this time is I was rescheduled on a later flight. It was great, I crawled into my bed at 4am the next morning.

Meetings went well, the travel sucked. And holy shit the cost of a drink at the airport has gotten really crazy.

Southwest has been a complete mess lately. My wife and I fly it about 20 times a year, mostly for personal, and the last few trips have been terrible.

Totally agree on the price of anything in the Airport now. It is shocking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:

It’s a miracle I got my bag they lost back June 27 delivered to my house.
I have another international trip in September with 2 connections think I will go with just a carry on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:

Day 2 (Southwest)

Day 3 (Southwest)

I know it is an n=1, but I've been lucky on my last few Southwest flights getting free drinks. I was just overly nice to the FAs and joked with them a bit and they hooked me up. Three free G&Ts between Orlando and Dallas was really nice since it was a packed flight full of kids hopped up on the Mouse.

I've never been successful scoring free drinks on United or Delta. Those FAs are downright mean and surly.

Trieatalot

It's a C minus world.
Quote Reply
Re: Airline travel not like it use to be( update) [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Constantine wrote:
Nutella wrote:

It’s a miracle I got my bag they lost back June 27 delivered to my house.
I have another international trip in September with 2 connections think I will go with just a carry on.

Carryon whenever possible is the best option. I can get a full week with no issues, and if I need more will find a place to do laundry.

I am now packing an extra change of socks and underwear just in case.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Airline travel not like it use to be( update) [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:

Day 2 (Southwest)

Day 3 (Southwest)

I know it is an n=1, but I've been lucky on my last few Southwest flights getting free drinks. I was just overly nice to the FAs and joked with them a bit and they hooked me up. Three free G&Ts between Orlando and Dallas was really nice since it was a packed flight full of kids hopped up on the Mouse.

I've never been successful scoring free drinks on United or Delta. Those FAs are downright mean and surly.

I’ve flown a lot on Delta so they have been pretty good on fixing things.

Last week from FAT to DEN my connecting flight in SLC was cancelled. I purposely didn’t book the last flight but couldn’t get on it either. Since I needed to be in Omaha on Friday night they were able to reroute me there instead of back to DEN. The biggest issue for me was that the original plan was a Friday AM flight from SLC to MSP and then to DEN. Very surprised they couldn’t just get me to DEN on a non stop.

United is TBD. Have a trip this week and in two weeks on UA so we’ll see how they go.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flew to Denver this past weekend on Southwest. Flight there was on time and arrived early. Return flight was delayed 15 minutes. So far, I've flown on Southwest 10 times this year and haven't had a problem or noticed any difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Airline travel not like it use to be( update) [RogerC39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RogerC39 wrote:
Flew to Denver this past weekend on Southwest. Flight there was on time and arrived early. Return flight was delayed 15 minutes. So far, I've flown on Southwest 10 times this year and haven't had a problem or noticed any difference.

I’ve had delays, over an hour, or outright cancellations on all but 1 of the last 7 flights on Southwest. There used to be a lot of direct flight out of PIT but no longer.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guy at a meeting today said “remember when Southwest had those commercials where they touted their on time arrivals? I haven’t seen one recently and that may explain why I got to my hotel at 5 this morning.”
Quote Reply
Re: Airline travel not like it use to be( update) [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't care anymore about the previous flights , just hope that upcoming ones will be on time.
According to this website Qatar airways is still one of the best companies in the world with the good service on board and best planes (and seats) etc. It is shame but it will be my first flight with them so hopes are really high.
Last edited by: MitchMcCrown: Aug 17, 22 15:36
Quote Reply

Prev Next