Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

beginner - first tri expectation?
Quote | Reply
In the past (pre-pandemic) I did some swim, run and aquathon races but the lack of a bike was what put me off doing triathlons. As I have moved to London where buses are slow as turtles (I used 70 km/h express buses, which don't exist in London, in the past for commuting hence no need for a bike) I have bought a road bike for the purpose of commuting, then I have signed up for an Olympic distance triathlon.

I bought the bike 1.5 weeks ago and in the past week I mainly worked on finding a best commuting route (a route which gets me to my destination in the shortest time while avoiding hills) and familiarising with the gear configuration. I averaged about 20 km a day in urban environments in the past week, all for the purpose of getting around.

I am doing regular swim training, about 15 km per week. Yesterday I did a straight 3.05 km swim in a extra long course pool in 56 minutes.

My best 10 km run was 47 minutes, but it was pre-pandemic and since then I no longer have any regular run training. I attempted to run a half-marathon a few months ago without such training and it was 2:11, compared to 1:42 when I was well-trained.

What kind of times should I expect in my first Olympic distance triathlon?
Quote Reply
Re: beginner - first tri expectation? [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have enough experience to tell you what would be your finish time in an Olympic distance. Also their are too many variables that could affect your time other then your fitness and training, like the temperature, difficulty of the course, your equipment,....
If I would take a shot in the dark, I would say you should be a solid mid pack on the swim, probably tale end of mid pack on the bike and same for the run. Or maybe a bit further back on the run especially that it's very difficult to pace the bike for a good run in the beginning of your triathlon career. So that maybe 2:45 on a good day and 3:15 on a bad day.

However, the reason I jumped in on your thread is that all I said above should not be important, my first sprint was 1:3XX minutes and as you see i don't remember it. But I still remember how much I enjoyed it, loved the experience, and that great feeling of finishing your first triathlon. So I just go out and enjoy it and take in the experience. The time will not matter, you'll worry about that when the triathlon bug grabs you :)

Tridad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As already mentioned there are too many variables. Largely how far out is the race and how hard are you willing to train?
You need to do a decent bike time trial or an ftp test to get an idea of where you stand. Your swim is way faster than me, your run is way slower than me, so if you biked similar (70 mins for 40k) you would be looking at 2:35-2:40 I would guess. But you need enough training to string it all together. An Olympic triathlon run feels like you just did a hard hill repeats session and now you need to go run your best 10k on dead legs. Make sure you get some good bricks in to prepare you for that feeling... or just go have fun and don't worry about it!

Better late than never.
Quote Reply
Re: beginner - first tri expectation? [MidLifeCrisis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tri is on the coming Saturday.

I forgot to mention in the opening post is that, yesterday after I did my 56 minutes 3 km in the pool I went straight to ride 20 km across London to a club race which involved running with a map afterwards in my tri gear as preparation for my tri.

However, the bike and the run were not in a standard timed course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude.. just go have fun and if you like it enough to do another you'll have a good baseline to reference.

Better late than never.
Quote Reply
Re: beginner - first tri expectation? [gillesgh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys have forgotten who the OP is.

His epic Channel Swim posts were legendary as he asked for advice and then ignored all of it,time after time after time.

This will be a very entertaining lead up to his triathlon and I put him down for a 2:52 or a DNS.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't have enough information to know what times to expect. You can ballpark a swim time based on your 3k straight in the pool but still this will be open water and anything can happen. You don't have any hard data on the bike and haven't been bike or run training sufficiently to know. Go out there and enjoy the day. Race on your perceived effort. Keep asking yourself "can I hold this pace/power until the finish?".

After the race come back here for advice and how to train for improvement if you are interested in it. Have fun at the race! Crossing the finish line of your first race is an accomplishment. Don't worry about times right now.

ETA: Oh yes the channel swimmer posts! haha. Good luck OP. If you ask for advice try to be open minded to those who respond.
Last edited by: piratetri: Jun 29, 22 6:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't expect anything as far as a finish time, just do your best and enjoy the race. Build off that experience.

That said, I would guess you'll be somewhere just north of 3 hours...30 min swim, 1:30 bike, 1 hr run.
Quote Reply
Re: beginner - first tri expectation? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:

His epic Channel Swim posts were legendary as he asked for advice and then ignored all of it,time after time after time.

This will be a very entertaining lead up to his triathlon and I put him down for a 2:52 or a DNS.

We haven't all forgotten. Some of us are just here to watch...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:

You are cursing me again. I'm having massive bike problem now - just discovered that my tyre needs replacement as a result of a puncture a few days ago.

I replaced the inner tube and pumped using a hand pump without problem, and went for a few more days, with the intention of pump it fully afterwards.

I ordered a foot pump from Amazon and it arrived yesterday so I tried it today, but the pump was crap and deformed before I could reach the suggested value.

I went downstairs immediately and bought an expensive good quality one and got the job done, thinking I'm prepared. However, at night I did my final check again and it went flat. Upon inspection the tyre puncture damaged the inner tube despite there was no nails / anything sharp inside.

I'm due to sleep but I had to get it done immediately, and took my kit out - my last spare inner tube (I have ordered two more from Amazon).

Then I pumped it to the suggested value but the inner tube went through the tyre puncture. I now have no choice but to underinflate it and hope it doesn't go off again before I reach the T2, and buy a new tyre after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just put some duct/electrical tape on the inside of the tire over the cut and then superglue in the cut on the outside if you can't get a tire in the meantime.

Should be more than strong enough to get you through the race (I've gotten a few hundred extra miles on two different tires doing this when it was in the middle of the tread. Sidewall I wouldn't try, however).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the sole reason I opened the thread!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patch the inside of the tire.

Problem solved.
Quote Reply
Re: beginner - first tri expectation? [cielo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately the damage is on the sidewall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha - first tris are really memorable!

The swim is gonna suck, in that it'll be a lot harder than you expect. Unless you're an ex-competitive swimmer. But it makes for great memories!
Quote Reply
Re: beginner - first tri expectation? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://results.sporthive.com/...races/481653/bib/812

My crap bike ability has nullified any advantage from my swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! What happened on the bike...Dorney is a flat and fast course, a bit windy today but you should be able to average at least 25kph.
Quote Reply
Re: beginner - first tri expectation? [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wind was so strong that I had to use the lowest gear to crawl through some of the headwind sections.

Also I have no bike fitness at all - I literally only started to ride a road bike 2 weeks ago, and in these 2 weeks all I did was to get used to the bike, to get accessories, to find my best commute and and to set it up.

Finally combined with my bike problem described above it resulted in a very bad day for me on the bike.

If there was no wind and on a completely flat course I might be able to get to 25 km/h though. The run course was completely flat apart from the run-in to finish but the bike course wasn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d be stoked with that time’! Well done!
Quote Reply