Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s pretty much par for the course with murder convictions to appeal with *some* reason. This is just lawyer bullshit remember prior to the trial the defense had some “bombshell” info to keep her out of conviction.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
tigermilk wrote:
Kaitlin Armstrong's lawyer requests new trial after murder conviction

https://www.kvue.com/...cb-96b6-34554db1d985

What does her possibly being pregnant have anything to do with the murder? Are they going to argue it was a hormonal response and not premeditated?

My thoughts as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
tigermilk wrote:

What does her possibly being pregnant have anything to do with the murder? Are they going to argue it was a hormonal response and not premeditated?

the article states she was pregnant at the time of her arrest which doesn't necessarily mean she was pregnant at the time of the murder. I would guess she became pregnant after the murder.

It still begs the question, why is it relevant?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
IKnowEverything wrote:
ahhchon wrote:
"She's such a special person," Christine Armstrong said before looking at Kaitlin Armstrong. "I've always looked up to you. ... She's always cared for other people."

per her sister.. really, you're going to say that at a murder trial?

people have such a sense of weird loyalty when it comes to family. if my sister murdered someone, i wouldn't be saying shit like, you always cared for other people, lol.

Yeah, but same sister that also gave Armstrong her passport so she could flee the country, so morality and empathy has clearly long departed that family.

She testified that she didn't give it to her.....

Possible Testilied
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
EyeRunMD wrote:
tigermilk wrote:

the article states she was pregnant at the time of her arrest which doesn't necessarily mean she was pregnant at the time of the murder. I would guess she became pregnant after the murder.

It still begs the question, why is it relevant?

The best logic I can come up with:

First trial was guilty and many years in prison. Defense lawyers need to retry the case, both to get paid and since no outcome (for their defendant) can be as bad as the first case. Throw stuff at the wall trying to get the case opened up again (she was pregnant, prosecution withheld something, some sort of technical process error, maybe Form 1201-A was filled out using the paralegal's married name although it was never legally changed). Worst case scenario the case doesn't get reheard, or it does with the same outcome. Best case you get a retrial and something weird happens where the jury calls it manslaughter, or better yet the prosecution messes up and she's found not guilty. It's a >1% chance but still a chance.

(not defending her, just gaming out a legal defense strategy)
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote:
(not defending her, just gaming out a legal defense strategy)[/quote]

understood, defense has to work it if asked. unlikely any outcome. bleeding family dry for defense based on nonsense, seems consistent for this nut job.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say appeals are way more common regardless of the validity from the defense. It’s more standard operating procedure that tons of convicted people take advantage of regardless of how valid the appeal is.

Not relevant in this case but death sentence convictions in most states come with automatic appeal.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 2, 24 14:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Ah yeah, I probably shouldn't even speculate, but it seems like it was a 'hot-blood' murder. She loved this guy, got jealous, and since they're in Texas there's guns everywhere. A world different from sitting in her house coldly planning out how to do it. It's still bad, but if I were her lawyer this would be my argument.

For you to be such a logical thinker that's quite a non logical statement to make (as of course guns are everywhere not just Texas.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
mathematics wrote:
Ah yeah, I probably shouldn't even speculate, but it seems like it was a 'hot-blood' murder. She loved this guy, got jealous, and since they're in Texas there's guns everywhere. A world different from sitting in her house coldly planning out how to do it. It's still bad, but if I were her lawyer this would be my argument.

For you to be such a logical thinker that's quite a non logical statement to make (as of course guns are everywhere not just Texas.

Texas is within a group of states where there is no waiting period to purchase a gun, walk into a store with ID and a credit card, walk out with a gun in minutes. No registration, no waiting period. If this is taking place in a state with low gun ownership and a waiting period there's a chance cooler heads prevail.

There is also nearly 50% gun ownership in Texas, as opposed to ~15% in the northeast and 30% nationwide. We can have a rational conversation about self defense, personal firearms, and the implications of such a system, but the long and short is that increased gun ownership increases the chances of and probability of gun violence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Runguy wrote:
mathematics wrote:

Texas is within a group of states where there is no waiting period to purchase a gun, walk into a store with ID and a credit card, walk out with a gun in minutes. No registration, no waiting period. If this is taking place in a state with low gun ownership and a waiting period there's a chance cooler heads prevail.

There is also nearly 50% gun ownership in Texas, as opposed to ~15% in the northeast and 30% nationwide. We can have a rational conversation about self defense, personal firearms, and the implications of such a system, but the long and short is that increased gun ownership increases the chances of and probability of gun violence.

----------------------
Please walk away from your computer, you're illogical views will make us stupider. I'm in California and our strict gun laws have little to no impact to our crime rate- it's still high.
Last edited by: p3: Jan 3, 24 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [p3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
p3 wrote:
Please walk away from your computer, you're illogical views will make us stupider. .

Opposing points of view are fine, but emotional, personal attacks are something we try to avoid on this forum. Just a suggestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
p3 wrote:
mathematics wrote:
Runguy wrote:
mathematics wrote:

----------------------
Please walk away from your computer, you're illogical views will make us stupider. I'm in California and our strict gun laws have little to no impact to our crime rate- it's still high.

Thanks for the well thought out response to the post "We can have a rational conversation about self defense, personal firearms, and the implications of such a system,"

Here's the gun crime rates per 100,000 residents broken down state by state. I'll save you the 5 seconds and Google it for you.

https://www.statista.com/...lence-rate-by-state/

Notice anything? Not only does Texas lead California (15 to 9) but the highest gun crime states overwhelmingly have loose gun laws.

Sorry about making you stupider.
Last edited by: mathematics: Jan 3, 24 11:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Runguy wrote:
mathematics wrote:

In this case, I believe her ex-bf bought her the gun which probably better supports the chrome of passion argument.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Please walk away from your computer, you're illogical views will make us stupider.

[your] illogical views will make us [more stupid].

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Runguy wrote:
mathematics wrote:

She had the firearm for some time. She did not purchase it the same day.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I thought that was going to fly by unnoticed.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I'd like to know is, with so many guns and gun owners, where was the good ole NRA-card-carrying-member guy when he/she was needed to stop the 1st shooter, like we're told is the solution to gun crime ?
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's only for school shootings

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
That's only for school shootings

Or basically most public places. One certainly wouldn't expect a 'good guy with a gun' to have been inside the house when Mo was murdered.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming that you replied to me because I was the last one on the list.

Personally I never bought the idea of more guns make us safer mainly because most of those guns are at home.

The NRA is not fighting for responsible gun ownership, they are fighting for gun manufactures.

When I was in the Marines, I had shot a lot of different weapons, the ones that I could hold in my hands were designed to kill people and that is all. In an urban setting, that is the only reason to have a gun. I suppose that is an argument to be discussed in the Lavender Room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Personally I never bought the idea of more guns make us safer mainly because most of those guns are at home.

The NRA is not fighting for responsible gun ownership, they are fighting for gun manufactures.

When I was in the Marines, I had shot a lot of different weapons, the ones that I could hold in my hands were designed to kill people and that is all. In an urban setting, that is the only reason to have a gun. I suppose that is an argument to be discussed in the Lavender Room.

More guns make us safer is like trickle down economics. An idea that sounds good until you think about if for 2 seconds, that exclusively benefits a small group of people who pushed the idea as a great message because the truth is too unpalatable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Legal and responsible firearms owners don't commit most of the gun crime in this country. Most of the gun crime in this country as everyone knows is committed by gang members. Mass shootings tend to be amplified today, but "mass" is determined at 4 more or more gunshot victims by the FBI so the number is kinda inflated. Yet, we focus on certain events that statistically don't happen that often verses drive by hits that happen every day on the street.

But that's what this was, a "hit". A good guy with a gun that has no idea something is about to go down is not going to be able to stop a "hit".

The reason the Nashville Shooter didn't kill more children is because of a good guy with a gun, whether that good guy has a badge or not doesn't matter.

In Arizona several years ago we had a "good" guy with a gun save a state trooper's life. There are many instances every day where a well trained good guy with a gun ends up being responsible for protecting life and we don't talk about it. Most news is negative, we're not worried about the positive.

Now connecting that to the thread, well, the chica's boyfriend bought her the firearm as a gift to protect herself but then was also hanging out with a girl that he slept around with while they were previously on a break? That's just a bad mix of shit.

Anyway, there are plenty of normal people that carry every day and nothing of any ill occurs. Can look at countries where firearm ownership is severely restricted. Doesn't stop people from getting murdered. Doesn't stop a country from having a high murder rate either. But this is all a LR discussion at this point and not about cycling.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
But this is all a LR discussion at this point and not about cycling.

I like how you write a giant manifesto on gun crime, and then call everyone out in the last sentence for using the wrong forum. :)
Last edited by: trail: Jan 28, 24 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Betsy Welch published her final (?) article about Moriah. https://www.outsideonline.com/...moriah-wilson-trial/
Quote Reply

Prev Next