Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Sales through Paypal - Tax question
Quote | Reply
I just sold a bike (not on slowtwitch) but the transaction was made through Paypals (Goods & Services). We knew about the additional fee I would incur and the buyer included extra money to cover that, but what I didn't know was that Paypal reduced it's threshold this year from $20k to $600 dollars on sales you must include in your income tax reports.

From what I can tell, I shouldn't be taxed on personal items sold at loss:

Form 1099-K is an IRS informational tax form that is used to report goods and services payments received by a business or individual in the calendar year. While banks and payment service providers, like PayPal and Venmo are required by the IRS to send customers a Form-1099K if they meet the $600 threshold amount, there are certain amounts that may be included on the form that are generally excluded from gross income and therefore are not subject to income tax. This includes:
  • Amounts from selling personal items at a loss
  • Amounts sent as reimbursement
  • Amounts sent as a gift
So, for example, if you purchased a couch for $1200 and sold it for $800, this amount would not be subject to income tax.

My worry is that I purchased the bike paying through Venmo last year - so I'm not sure if that would count as a "receipt" for purchasing. Anyone have any advice here?

Paypal link for reference
Last edited by: lteal: Jun 27, 22 10:37
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Sales through Paypal - Tax question [lteal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The receipt of a 1099 does not make the transaction taxable or even reportable. It would be considered a "hobby loss" if you sold it for less than you paid for it and "hobby losses" can only be used to offset "hobby gains". So you don't have a taxable gain or loss assuming you have no other "hobby" transactions. Without doing research I can't say for sure if you even have to report the transaction on your Form 1040 but I can't imagine that you would. As far as the documentation/Venmo, you should not have a problem as long as you are able to document the transaction. Electronic documents are fine.
Last edited by: r-b: Jun 27, 22 10:44
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Sales through Paypal - Tax question [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When the transaction came through on Paypal they sent me an email requesting tax info.

Starting 2022, if you receive $600 or more in payments for goods and services in a year, we and other payment services companies are required by the IRS to report your earnings and send you a 1099-K form.
Provide your tax info now to make sure your forms ready in time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What they requested should have been your taxpayer identification number via a Form W-9 or a similar substitute form. My original reply was basically how this would impact your personal income tax liability. Which it will not. So I will now give you the canned response of "consult your tax advisor".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PayPal is going to report to the IRS that you received income.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"From what I can tell, I shouldn't be taxed on personal items sold at loss:"

This is correct.

"Paypal reduced it's threshold this year from $20k to $600 dollars on sales you must include in your income tax reports."

This is not quite correct. Paypal is going to report to the IRS any transfers they made to you in excess of $600 (cumulative for the year). However, you don't need to include this in your income tax return unless you had taxable income. If you took a loss on the bike, there is no taxable income, and you don't report it on your tax return. If you (hypothetically) purchased a fancy bike at a yard sale for $100 and sold it on ebay for $2000, you would need to report the profit as income and pay capital gains tax on it.

However, it is in your best interest to document the selling price of the bike and the purchase price. In the unlikely event you are audited, your Venmo receipt would probably be adequate to demonstrate that you took a loss on the sale of the bike.

Last edited by: eb: Jun 28, 22 1:41
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Sales through Paypal - Tax question [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:

This is correct.

"Paypal reduced it's threshold this year from $20k to $600 dollars on sales you must include in your income tax reports."

This is not quite correct. Paypal is going to report to the IRS any transfers they made to you in excess of $600 (cumulative for the year). However, you don't need to include this in your income tax return unless you had taxable income. If you took a loss on the bike, there is no taxable income, and you don't report it on your tax return. If you (hypothetically) purchased a fancy bike at a yard sale for $100 and sold it on ebay for $2000, you would need to report the profit as income and pay capital gains tax on it.

However, it is in your best interest to document the selling price of the bike and the purchase price. In the unlikely event you are audited, your Venmo receipt would probably be adequate to demonstrate that you took a loss on the sale of the bike.

if a 1099 is issued, the IRS will be looking for it on your return. It's one of those easy automated notices that get kicked out without human intervention.

I would put it on a sch D or C (depending on making a case for an investment) as income and an equal amount as cost basis/expense therefore no taxable income (or loss) but the 1099 gets reported.

MtnBikerChk, CPA.
Last edited by: MtnBikerChk: Jun 28, 22 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Sales through Paypal - Tax question [MtnBikerChk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MtnBikerChk wrote:
eb wrote:

This is correct.

if a 1099 is issued, the IRS will be looking for it on your return. It's one of those easy automated notices that get kicked out without human intervention.

I would put it on a sch D or C (depending on making a case for an investment) as income and an equal amount as cost basis/expense therefore no taxable income (or loss) but the 1099 gets reported.

MtnBikerChk, CPA.

Thank you for clarifying that - I'd been told that if there was no taxable income it didn't need to be on the 1040. Apparently that was incorrect.

- eb (not a CPA)
Quote Reply