Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who could’ve beaten Trump/Pence in 2016 and on what policies?
Quote | Reply
Never heard this question asked but it got me thinking.

Who could have beaten Trump and Pence in 2016 and what policies/campaign would they have needed to run to do so?
Quote Reply
Re: Who could’ve beaten Trump/Pence in 2016 and on what policies? [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would have been interesting if Sanders was the democratic nominee. I think a lot of people feel that he truly cares about them and not special interests or his own ambitions. That may have motivated more people vote democrat to show up to the polls.

That said, would what he gained in motivating those people to actually show up to vote be lost from the moderates/unaffiliated/etc crows who might think he is too far left? Would he have been willing to back of a little bit on some of his plans to make sure not to lose those people?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Who could’ve beaten Trump/Pence in 2016 and on what policies? [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Biden.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:

Who could have beaten Trump and Pence in 2016 and what policies/campaign would they have needed to run to do so?

are you talking in primary space or in the general?

In primary space, I think no one could have beaten him. His media saavy and ability to play on emotions was too good; he really was not offering different policies than any of the other Republicans were hawking. He did perhaps go over the top on immigration, but that's because he correctly recognized the huge emotional lever that it represented.. As much as I don't like Cruz, he had the resume and the credibility and Trump steamrolled him with a bunch of BS.

As far as in the general, I think Clinton should have beaten him on the issues. It was strictly a horribly executed campaign. When you look at the tiny margins Trump won by and then look at how little effort Clinton put into campaigning in those states, its really like she handed him the election.

Basically my point is, the 2016 election was not won or lost on issues. It was won on media based fear mongering and good versus bad campaign operations. Roger Stone and other Republican strategist like Bannon were master salesman and sold an inferior product just well enough where they had to (WI, OH, MI) to enough disillusioned white voters. And they almost did it again in 2020 when the stink around Trump was so much more obvious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone other than Hillary.
Quote Reply
Re: Who could’ve beaten Trump/Pence in 2016 and on what policies? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a democracy even Hilary would have beaten Trump.

Sadly, she did not beat him by enough to become president in the USA.
Quote Reply
Re: Who could’ve beaten Trump/Pence in 2016 and on what policies? [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:

Hillary would have coasted to victory if the upper peninsula of Michigan was part of Wisconsin and the Florida panhandle was part of Alabama.

But we live with a very dumb system where those ultimately arbitrary lines mean that Republicans can become president. Well GHWB would have still been president, but no Republican would have won since then.

Someone will of course argue the founding fathers thought the Florida panhandle being part of Florida was critical to our country or some other deeply stupid nonsense.
Quote Reply
Re: Who could’ve beaten Trump/Pence in 2016 and on what policies? [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have the electoral college for very good reasons. A large country with 50 states deserves a balanced representation. I get the optics from other countries, but I strongly support our electoral construct.
Quote Reply
Re: Who could’ve beaten Trump/Pence in 2016 and on what policies? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
But we live with a very dumb system where those ultimately arbitrary lines mean that Republicans can become president. Well GHWB would have still been president, but no Republican would have won since then

Minor correction, GW Bush won the popular vote in 2004. But yeah, it is interesting that republicans have only managed to win the popular vote in 1 of the past 8 presidential elections

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Who could’ve beaten Trump/Pence in 2016 and on what policies? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
We have the electoral college for very good reasons. A large country with 50 states deserves a balanced representation. I get the optics from other countries, but I strongly support our electoral construct.

I get "balanced representation", but you don't have that. Quite the contrary; highly unbalanced.

I'm also quite a big fan of democracy, whatever its shortcomings.

Would you be willing to share your political affiliations? Are you a strong supporter of your electoral construct despite being a Democrat who is screwed over by it, or are your sympathies more Republican, with the pleasing coincidence of being able to use that "construct" to enjoy minority rule?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:

I’ve always felt that way in the past (especially since I grew up in a state with only three electoral votes and now live in one with four). But seeing the winner of the election lose the popular vote 2 times in the last 6 elections after only happening 3 times in the first 53 elections has me rethinking it. The senate would still give states equal representation regardless of population. But the president would always be who the population as a whole voted for.

But maybe it’ll just be temporary blip. After happening in 1876 and 1888 (which were closer together than the most recent ones) it didn’t happen again for over 112 years

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure. I’m a staunch independent (unaffiliated). Neither party represent my interests so I vote based on issues and not party.

I live in California, which is hard left. I hate the fact that we don’t have a balanced representation in our state. I also split my time in Arizona which is far more centrist than hard left or right.

I work in the tech industry with a career spent in tech startups (been a founder myself) and despise the anti-business policies adopted in my state thus driving many startups and even mainstream tech companies out of the state.

Im also strongly pro-choice, pro LGBTQ+, same sex marriage, etc, yet also strongly pro business (particularly startup and small business). I support the 2A though I’m not a gun owner/enthusiast.

Frankly, there are far more voters like me than hard left or right.

I see the electoral college as a critical construct of our democracy because states can manipulate votes left or right (ie public sector unions).

I’ve been extraordinarily lucky in my tech startup career and can live anywhere in the world I choose. Luck is a great factor in wealth creation. I’m staying here for now though I’ll be completely out of CA within 3 yrs for political/tax reasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:

Even within that construct she did enough to win, no?

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Who could’ve beaten Trump/Pence in 2016 and on what policies? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. She didn’t win. And you already know that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
No. She didn’t win. And you already know that.

That’s not what I said.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Who could’ve beaten Trump/Pence in 2016 and on what policies? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
907Tri wrote:

are you talking in primary space or in the general?

In primary space, I think no one could have beaten him. His media saavy and ability to play on emotions was too good; he really was not offering different policies than any of the other Republicans were hawking. He did perhaps go over the top on immigration, but that's because he correctly recognized the huge emotional lever that it represented.. As much as I don't like Cruz, he had the resume and the credibility and Trump steamrolled him with a bunch of BS.

As far as in the general, I think Clinton should have beaten him on the issues. It was strictly a horribly executed campaign. When you look at the tiny margins Trump won by and then look at how little effort Clinton put into campaigning in those states, its really like she handed him the election.

Basically my point is, the 2016 election was not won or lost on issues. It was won on media based fear mongering and good versus bad campaign operations. Roger Stone and other Republican strategist like Bannon were master salesman and sold an inferior product just well enough where they had to (WI, OH, MI) to enough disillusioned white voters. And they almost did it again in 2020 when the stink around Trump was so much more obvious.

I think Hilary would have won had Comey not announced he was reopening the investigation (however he phrased that) just before the election.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Who could’ve beaten Trump/Pence in 2016 and on what policies? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Bone Idol wrote:

Hillary would have coasted to victory if the upper peninsula of Michigan was part of Wisconsin and the Florida panhandle was part of Alabama.

But we live with a very dumb system where those ultimately arbitrary lines mean that Republicans can become president. Well GHWB would have still been president, but no Republican would have won since then.

Someone will of course argue the founding fathers thought the Florida panhandle being part of Florida was critical to our country or some other deeply stupid nonsense.

The UP of Michigan and Fla Panhandle and those boundaries speak to minority rule of our electoral system even more than our six or so swing states.

That said, Hillary and Bernie both were losing candidates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:

In 2024 the Democrats need the next Obama. Smart, personable and light enough on experience to not have a lot of baggage. I'm not sure I'm seeing that candidate. Mayor Pete maybe?
Quote Reply
Re: Who could’ve beaten Trump/Pence in 2016 and on what policies? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
907Tri wrote:

In 2024 the Democrats need the next Obama. Smart, personable and light enough on experience to not have a lot of baggage. I'm not sure I'm seeing that candidate. Mayor Pete maybe?

Yes, Mayor Pete.
Quote Reply
Re: Who could’ve beaten Trump/Pence in 2016 and on what policies? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
I’ve always felt that way in the past (especially since I grew up in a state with only three electoral votes and now live in one with four). But seeing the winner of the election lose the popular vote 2 times in the last 6 elections after only happening 3 times in the first 53 elections has me rethinking it. The senate would still give states equal representation regardless of population. But the president would always be who the population as a whole voted for.

But maybe it’ll just be temporary blip. After happening in 1876 and 1888 (which were closer together than the most recent ones) it didn’t happen again for over 112 years

In your country as in mine and some others, the Senate is "the States' House", and its makeup was necessary to form a nation, and endures despite its anomalies. I understand that. However, I've never heard a convincing argument for having the presidency via the EC, nor the Reps via outrageous gerrymandering, so susceptible to defying the will of the majority of citizens.

Your country has a situation where one major party has no real expectation of majority support, and no policy intent to achieve it. Instead they have an explicit strategy of taking away votes from opponents, and of undermining the process that is already rigged in their favour should it nonetheless fail to deliver power.

It is, to say the least, pretty fucked up.

I would have thought that even those from small states might prefer democracy in the circumstances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Sure. I’m a staunch independent (unaffiliated). Neither party represent my interests so I vote based on issues and not party.

I live in California, which is hard left. I hate the fact that we don’t have a balanced representation in our state. I also split my time in Arizona which is far more centrist than hard left or right.

I work in the tech industry with a career spent in tech startups (been a founder myself) and despise the anti-business policies adopted in my state thus driving many startups and even mainstream tech companies out of the state.

Im also strongly pro-choice, pro LGBTQ+, same sex marriage, etc, yet also strongly pro business (particularly startup and small business). I support the 2A though I’m not a gun owner/enthusiast.

Frankly, there are far more voters like me than hard left or right.

I see the electoral college as a critical construct of our democracy because states can manipulate votes left or right (ie public sector unions).

I’ve been extraordinarily lucky in my tech startup career and can live anywhere in the world I choose. Luck is a great factor in wealth creation. I’m staying here for now though I’ll be completely out of CA within 3 yrs for political/tax reasons.

I'd say our perspectives differ if you describe California as "hard left" and Arizona as "more centrist". But I'm not American, which makes all the difference.

I also find your comments about the tech environment hard to square. California has a good history, virtually unequaled in the world, for creating, nurturing and growing tech industries. Even the most successful Australian tech entrepreneurs that I know went there, despite the hard right politics they had to endure. (All but one came back when they could).

What do you mean by "states can manipulate votes (i.e. public sector unions)? What does the EC achieve that you find preferable to allowing people to vote for their representative, like grown-ups?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:

This is so wrong.

First, we don’t have the electoral college for good reasons. Even if you believe that to be true, we don’t use the electoral college as it was designed, so even if it was good reasons, why would you support how it is currently used? But when one of the main reasons it exist is slavery, probably not a great defense to point to the reasons it exists to defend it. That should be obvious, but here we are.

Second, in no way does the electoral college result in a “balanced” electorate. How does a system that gives some states and some demographics unbalanced power be considered “balanced”? It does the opposite of giving a balanced electorate.

Even if you think that a creates a balanced electorate, that is totally on accident. These arbitrary state lines create that “balance”. Slightly different lines would create a very different “balance.” It is just random. Are you saying this random “balance” is a good? Why?
Quote Reply