Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Magura RT8 TT Hydraulic Caliper
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any luck / advice on what to do when these fail? I know they are discontinued and really in a jam...my options are pay an arm and a leg for a replacement OR switch from hydraulic to mechanical...neither of which are great options. For context this is on my Cervelo P5.
Any help or guidance for a solution or workaround is much appreciated!
Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT8 TT Hydraulic Caliper [jonnies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depends on how they've failed and if the failure is fixable and then if the fixable failure has any parts availability from any where.

if that's not an option, swap to mechanical or pay and arm and a leg.
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT8 TT Hydraulic Caliper [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
every now and then a set seems to come up for sale on here, either from someone who's replaced them with mechanical or as a part-out (or as part of a whole-bike sale).

Do you know what specifically yet has failed?
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT8 TT Hydraulic Caliper [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
after a bleed, it wont hold fluid and is leaking. mechanic at LBS is tinkering around to try to fix but not too confident he can
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, both the Calipers and Levers are not serviceable. I tried and broke the shoulder bolts - Sheered Off.

I bought a new rear Caliper from Moxie Bikes in AZ. Not cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnies wrote:
after a bleed, it wont hold fluid and is leaking. mechanic at LBS is tinkering around to try to fix but not too confident he can

Probably the o-ring inside the lever - common failure and while not "officially" serviceable, replacing it is possible. There will always be a naysayer to point out the risk of modifying your own brakes that aren't supposed to be opened up. Fine. I accept the risk, and I've replaced more than one o-ring over the years and never had a detrimental failure. But as you've intimated - these Magura's are hard to leave behind. There are some posts in the archives with details on this replacement procedure. I found an old picture from when I replaced it once. The o-ring can be procured from your local Ace Hardware. /Maguraforlife

Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT8 TT Hydraulic Caliper [A527G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Assuming you have services the Caliper too - I have looked for replacement shoulder bolts. They are aluminum and sheered off. Magura told me they are pressed in and epoxied. Did your shoulder bolts come out clean?

Last edited by: scca_ita: Jun 22, 22 15:35
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT8 TT Hydraulic Caliper [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I haven't had any need to service the caliper - what exactly went wrong with yours that necessitated removing the shoulder bolts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The caliper had brake action but would not return to open. After inspection once the shoulder bolts were removed there was corrosion in the sleeve. Almost needs a lube hole of some sort. I live on the coast where I ride frequently in view of the ocean.
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT8 TT Hydraulic Caliper [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Magura uses thrust washers for pivot points on the caliper shoulders. Those will rust out over time, but they can be rebuilt using 1/16” ball bearings and polishing up the races. I rebuilt them a few times and then just fabricated Delrin bushings instead, and they’ve been good for a while now. While these are good brakes, they are a pain long term
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT8 TT Hydraulic Caliper [Chris10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you replace the aluminum shoulder bolts? If so where did you get them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

this is not really a standard o ring can you maybe give me some more info about the ring. I have a leak there, but Magura refers me to Cube and I haven't been able to reach anyone at Cube for over a week.

Greetz
Christian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted a set of Magura brake levers and calipers (new) for sale in the classifeds.
Quote Reply