Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your swim video here (your video of you swimming) [ivan2794] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ivan2794 wrote:
Hi !
I'm a bad swimmer looking for help.. Around 25-26min on olys, 1:07 in my first and only IM, 10x100 1:50 leave interval swam in around 1:35. I've got better skills cycling and running, so my swim will be my main focus next season. I swim 2-3 times per xweek, between 2-4km each, alone this year but in a master group last few years (swimming since 5 years)...
I don't improve really much those last years, so I suppose I have very bad habits I have to break.

I did the videos tethered, hope It will be relevant. It looks like my right arm is overeaching, I'm also like "catching up" ?

Thanks a lot
Ivan

I saw a lot to 'fix' but I'm going to defer to the faster/better swimmers here mainly because - 25-26 min in all the 'fair swim' (noncurrent) Olys I've done here in Norcal would be the top 5-10% of the field, so calling that slow is kinda nuts. Also, on the video, is that your 1:35 pace? It's hard to tell due to the tether, but if I'd imagined you without a tether, I would have guessed that to be 1:50pace or slower. Again, per your given race times you're faster than me, so don't shoot the messenger!
Last edited by: lightheir: Aug 21, 23 8:34
Quote Reply
Re: Post your swim video here (your video of you swimming) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His HIM swim pace is even faster than his Olympic distance pace
Quote Reply
Re: Post your swim video here (your video of you swimming) [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam my last oly in 25:44 and last IM in 1:07, so yes, the pace is almost the same in all the distances, around 1:40-1:45.
Last year I did a 5:52 400m test.

I swam without master group this year, so maybe worse.

The pace on the videos is easy pace. I'll try to make a video in a real pool and at race pace after holidays.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your swim video here (your video of you swimming) [ivan2794] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I’m not understating

Looks like 9 seconds per 100 yards faster in the Ironman race
Quote Reply
Re: Post your swim video here (your video of you swimming) [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I made a mistake. 1:07 is a 1:36 pace.
Maybe there was not the distance, it was the tradeinn 140.6 Girona in Spain, 2nb edition. And I was swimming more than today, I finished 32 age group.
Last Oly was the "triathlon du mont blanc" in Passy (France), swam 25:50 (65 position on the swim), finished 9 overall with a good bike abd run. You Can check it if you want.

Why would I lie ? I'm just here to improve my technique cause yeah, I know it, I'm a bad swimmer..
Maybe dont answer if you have nothing more usefull than talking about mathematics ?
Last edited by: ivan2794: Aug 21, 23 11:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your times are from a long time ago, but assuming you're still relatively the same, your swim speed is pretty quick. But if you're out of the water at 65 and finishing at 9, your bike and run are even better. So, swimming a 1:07 IM means you're probably better off hiring a solid tri swim coach near you. It will be a lot better for you to have someone who can see and give advice while you are swimming. Just having folks from the forum try to help might hurt you more than help you. And most of us find it difficult to help someone so much better than we are because we don't think there's much we can add.

Good luck

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your elbows are lower than your hands, instead of the other way around. You need to rotate your shoulders up towards your ears to let your elbows come up and your hands to point down without such a significant break in your wrist. Imagine lying on your side and trying to reach over a barrel or physio ball - that's the curvature you're seeking in your catch. Your hips are also very low with a big sway in your back. Try floating with your toes in the gutter (or kicking gently across the surface) while trying to keep you lower back dry - but not by pressing your head down.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next