Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Celtman Xtri - This Weekend
Quote | Reply
Anybody else from here racing Celtman at the weekend?

Anybody else from here do any Xtris/Extremes?

I pretty much race exclusively extremes due to a paucity of other options in the immediate area.
Quote Reply
Re: Celtman Xtri - This Weekend [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm racing Canada Man in 2+ weeks, my third time racing there, but I haven't done any other XTri races... yet. I just love the challenge of preparing for and tackling this race! Doing IMMT 7 weeks after, but my motivation for the year is for Canada Man. Good luck at Celtman!
Quote Reply
Re: Celtman Xtri - This Weekend [Johnny21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going to try to get to Canadaman over the next few years! Busy ticking off the closer events first.

Celtman will be a savage this weekend, wind over 20mph all day as a cross/head for 75% of the route by the look of it, and the swim will be 12C. Can't wait.

Good luck in Canadaman, see Tim Don is racing it too this year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will post galleries of each of these Xtreme race the next few weeks. Celtman, Swissman, and Canadaman.

Rumor indeed has it that Tim Don is tackling Canadaman.
Quote Reply
Re: Celtman Xtri - This Weekend [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really look forward to seeing the photos.
Weather for Celtman looks OK over here in this septic Isle.
Best wishes to all who race. The organisers are great folks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianmo80 wrote:
Going to try to get to Canadaman over the next few years! Busy ticking off the closer events first.

Celtman will be a savage this weekend, wind over 20mph all day as a cross/head fo70r 75% of the route by the look of it, and the swim will be 12C. Can't wait.

Good luck in Canadaman, see Tim Don is racing it too this year?[/quote

Met Office forecast I see is 12-13mph NNW for Torridon. But dry /some bits of sun.

Either way, hope it goes well for everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, thats great if Tim Don is there! Looking forward to meeting him.
That's a whole new ball game with the European XTri races... cold conditions! Cold water and cold temps we don't have to worry about at Canada Man. Just a very tough course. Good luck at Celtman. Can't wait to see the pictures from Herbert, great that slowtwitch is covering these races. To those who have never done an XTri race and are an experienced Ironman (not that you have to be) the challenge of these races is indescribable. It's been my motivation for 5 years now and still get excited about it every day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the First Solo Point Five race in the xtri series.
Quote Reply
Re: Celtman Xtri - This Weekend [Johnny21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did your CanadaMan go? I was there as a volunteer this year. I have done it twice myself (2019 & 2021), but was lucky enough to get into SwissMan this year. :)

Love the XTri events...SwissMan was always my bucket list race, so not planning to do any more, but I reserve the right to change my mind.

I'll be a volunteer at IMMT this year as well (wife is racing). Happy training!
Quote Reply
Re: Celtman Xtri - This Weekend [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
ianmo80 wrote:

Celtman will be a savage this weekend, wind over 20mph all day as a cross/head fo70r 75% of the route by the look of it, and the swim will be 12C. Can't wait.

Good luck in Canadaman, see Tim Don is racing it too this year?[/quote

Met Office forecast I see is 12-13mph NNW for Torridon. But dry /some bits of sun.

Either way, hope it goes well for everyone.

Wind was savage all day, dangerous in many places and I'm surprised there weren't any accidents on the bike! The swim was nearly changed due to the wind kicking up a swell that made it dangerous for the kayakers, and the high route in the mountains closed due to wind strength, it was strong enough to almost knock you over on the lower route, so it was a good decision.

All in all a good race for me, swim was terrible but it was only the 3rd time in a wetsuit after my shoulder op in December, so can't complain. The bike went well for me, except getting the worst of the wind for the final 40KM into a block headwind that swirled dangerously in the valleys and gusted well over 40mph.

Run was fine, into a headwind and we got the worst of the weather as we reached the high point of the lower route at about 400m altitude. Driving headwind and horizontal rain.

Still, the whole thing is an unbelievable adventure and I'll go back to try and get up the high route.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Congratulations. I can't imagine doing a tough course like that under those conditions.

That must have taken some incredible mental and physical strength. Bravo.
Quote Reply
Re: Celtman Xtri - This Weekend [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:

I have a good friend that did Celtman and to say the weather was atrocious is an understatment. The weather was so bad they closed the top loop. At the finish the race director told her the conditions were the worst in the 10 year history of the race. She only weighs about 110 lbs so she had a tough ride in the wind, and was nervous about taking her hands off the bars, basically she only ate at her rest stops.Three jackets on the bike, four and a balacava on the run. She is a bad ass, 1 of 18 females and only American woman to finish. We live and train in Virginia Beach/Chesapeake where we can ride 120 miles and get 60 feet of climbing. Oh and she got picked to race Norsman next year.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Celtman Xtri - This Weekend [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Good for her. Bet she won't forget that race anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:

I have a good friend that did Celtman and to say the weather was atrocious is an understatment. The weather was so bad they closed the top loop. At the finish the race director told her the conditions were the worst in the 10 year history of the race. She only weighs about 110 lbs so she had a tough ride in the wind, and was nervous about taking her hands off the bars, basically she only ate at her rest stops.Three jackets on the bike, four and a balacava on the run. She is a bad ass, 1 of 18 females and only American woman to finish. We live and train in Virginia Beach/Chesapeake where we can ride 120 miles and get 60 feet of climbing. Oh and she got picked to race Norsman next year.

Yeah, the forecast I saw was waaaay off (or I mos-read it). I was in Wales that weekend, and whilst the weather was rubbish compared to middle England (where it was lovely !) The North of Scotland seemed to get the wrong side of a weather front.

I did a different Xtri 'trial' race by the same Scottish organisers pre-Covid, and it was a fantastic experience (despite force 7 winds on the bike too!).

I just like their approach to stuff.

Great that your friend finished, and doubly so she got into Norseman. đź‘Ť
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
We live and train in Virginia Beach/Chesapeake where we can ride 120 miles and get 60 feet of climbing. Oh and she got picked to race Norsman next year.

She will love it, class of '19 and ranked in the top three best days of my life. Feel free to pick my brain about logistics and the course and whatnot, or search for my race report which has waaaaay too much detail.

Oh and she will love the first 2 hours/50km on the bike, it is literally all uphill !!

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done Ian! Love your attitude

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply